Masters Running

Humping along, 11.20.19 (Read 44 times)

At the end of the second circuit at the top of the 110 stair stairway I like, when I stopped to retrieve gloves originally warranted by the 41F morning nip and headlamp I’d ditched under some leaves by a big firm and tree trunk as the Hillside'd warmed me up on an earlier circuit, I pulled out a different pair of gloves, I guess, left by someone else, and, then, next to them, a Petzl headlamp just like the one I’ve been trying to locate after one of last week’s j-o’clock runs. Hmmm, on closer look, the gloves were exactly like the Alaska Summit ones I’ve been trying to put my hands on too ever since then. . . . . . . oh, hey, I suddenly realized, I guess I found my missing gloves and headlamp. . Had no idea that’s where they were.

I made this bundt cake for a friend's bday dinner.  It's really good.  The recipe says to bake 50 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.  I had to bake it for almost 1.5 hrs.  I may have baked it just a few minutes too long, but it weren't no 50 min bake time.  Also, keep the blueberries frozen until just prior to tossing with the flour and folding into the very thick batter or  they'll disintegrate.

MTA: 40 min walk at lunch on a beautiful sunny day.  BUT it was windy and the wind was cold.  I was in shorts and a short sleeve shirt and everything felt warm enough once I got warmed up, except my hands.  I fear, though, that my days of shorts and short sleeves are coming to an end.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

1.6 treadmill miles as part of half a taper for the Monkey half.  The one good thing about Monkey is that you can't possibly have much of a time goal, so I just need to make it around the course.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

KSA - how do you like the Revels? Do they compare to the Launch? I really like that holiday blue/silver. 

4.7 miles for me pre-work today. It was 40 degrees! Wait, did I post? It’s been one of those days. I seriously cannot remember. 

Temps are up but they are predicting steady rain in the AM. I guess we’ll wait and see about that.

Anne

I’m at Waffle House. 😀

Anne- I only have 2 miles on them so far but they felt good. Similar to Launch:

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

1.6 treadmill miles as part of half a taper for the Monkey half.  The one good thing about Monkey is that you can't possibly have much of a time goal, so I just need to make it around the course.

excellent.  good luck. have fun.

4.7 miles for me pre-work today. It was 40 degrees! Wait, did I post? It’s been one of those days. I seriously cannot remember. 

no problem.  By the time the afternoon rolls around, most of us can't remember what we read or not, anyway, especially this time of the year when the most we can do in the running department is the same as what we usually do anyway.

With only a dozen or so leaves to pick up this morning, if I didn't already say it, I fear my raking days are over so I tried to make up for it with a double circuit of the nearby Hillside Park (5.5 miles) and stairs (2,000) I like plus and over-and-back on the sunny floating bridge under clear skies, . . . but sun too low in the sky nowadays to be sunny on many other places of the bike path or bring the morning's 41F above the 51F of the last week. .

Image may contain: sky, tree, bridge, outdoor, water and nature

fdsf

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

5.2 paved miles, resulting in same effort but :30/mile faster pace than yesterdays 5.2 XC miles.

lower 70's this afternoon, but it started out kind of cold because of the high wind. PG&E started shutting off the power North of us to "prevent fires caused by downed power lines", but by 2pm the winds started to disappear.

dnaff; sorry about your kitty. we also have an old cat that hasn't been a very good cat. we caught him as a feral kitten almost 18 years ago, and he's been resentful but tolerant ever since because we feed him. it's been scientifically proven that cats will pretend to like you just to get stuff they want. really. but yeah, we'll miss him when he's gone, too.

tet; if you continue to break the rules we'll have to send the RA Police to correct your behavior.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wild--cancer does indeed suck.  Too many friends and relations are gone before their time.  One reason DW is off to lead a Relay for Life meeting to generate income to continue the fight.

Sorry about the kitty, dnaff.  Even the not great ones worm their way into our hearts and lives.

Back from 6 fun filled days in Rochester, helping DW and BIL sort and attempt to clear out FIL's house.  May have mentioned before, but he was a 30+ year Kodak scientist, back when cameras meant film.  and boy, did he use a lot of it!!  A lot of ruthless tossing.  for example, 18 slide trays of 140 slides each of all the trips FIL and MIL took to Europe that none of the family was involved with--gone!  Still have a couple of large totes of slides and movies to go through.  Some good news  for Bangkok dwelling BIL was that we found a French horn from his youth that he didn't even know was still around has a reasonable shot at selling for over $4K .

So that meant 6 days of no Maggie miles.  Thinking I may feel it when I get back to it tonight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

lower 70's this afternoon, but it started out kind of cold because of the high wind.

Okay, just shut the heck up until spring or until you have some actual bad weather to report, while the rest of us freeze our a$$s off for the next 4 months.  Okay, for some, longer....

Dnaff - thanks, I will check out that link.

HopesMom - after nearly passing out sneezing during broken/bruised ribs, I know where you are coming from.

KSA - but the shoes are not ugly...

Roch - recipe please?

Leslie - I don't own a bundt pan - do you think this will do in a regular loaf pan - looks great.

Ok, so the first ortho doc said my shoulder did not need surgery because he did not feel it was "medically necessary" because I am not in terrible pain and have pretty good range of motion.  But my takeaway from it was that "if I was in my 20's, maybe, but I am a 54 YO woman, so I should deal with the abnormal lump and move on."  My PCP said that, on a scale of 1 to 6, he rated this a 5 re shoulder separations, and thought I needed surgery. SO, I went to a recommended ortho doc today for a 2nd opinion.  He took new x-rays and showed me. It is not that my collar bone is sticking up, but that it has separated from my shoulder and my shoulder has dropped, which is what is creating this alarming lump.  On the left side there is about a half inch between the two bones, but on the right side, more than an inch and a half.  The x-rays were rather alarming.  He called in an ortho surgeon to talk to me and he also rated it a 5, and both recommended surgery.  This is my dominant hand, and if we do nothing, the shoulder is likely to drop farther over time and have possible rotator cuff problems as well.  On top of that, given that I am an active person who swims and golfs, they both recommended the surgury.  I really liked both of these docs, who took the time to explain all the pros and cons, and I think I will go ahead a do it. I am already maxed out on out of pocket, so what the hey.  And it is maybe a 2-hour procedure, in and out the same day.  If you could only see how bizarre this lump looks, you would understand.  Besides, I certainly can't have anything affecting my golf game, right?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I was going to start with a weather report but then I realized I didn't want to stir up Holly.....

Wildchild, prayers for your DH (and all of you).  Hopefully the prognosis is correct.

Holly, sounds like you found the right docs!  By the way, just ignore my weather report....but I've said before our winters are designed to make up for our summers.

Jay, thanks for the start.

KSA, I like the new kicks.

Tet, congrats on finding the lost gloves and headlamp!

It really was a pretty day here.  Almost got to 70.  I started out thinking I'd go 6 to 7....but my legs finally started revolting on me (figured it would have happened one or two days ago) and I was smart enough to listen to them.  So an easy 3.5 miles.  I was carrying my phone (unusual for me) and my current boss called (heading back from a senior leader's summit).  He's had the job I'm considering and gave me some good insights into not only the position but my fitness for it.  Sounds crazy, but this really is uncharted territory.  The military tends to be set in its ways and a non-rated officer in this billet could cause difficulties.  Enough on that.  Sorry.

Have a greta night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - good on the surgery.  ASAP.

Wait too long and, if it's like DW's case, they may tell you that surgery will reduce the pain but mobility could be permanently impaired.

I've never heard of an aurora advisory down here in Seattle, and they're so common in erika-land I suppose they don't have them either, but. in case anyone stays up late tonight (after 10pm) or gets up early (before 4pm), the northern skies may have a surprise.  Google "aurora" / "NOAA" and "wherever you are."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy master

Tet, I'm glad you found your gloves and headlamp!  I'm also missing a Petzl headlamp, but I doubt I left it under a tree somewhere...

Karen, Wow - you ran Monkey the same year I did?  Too bad we didn't meet!  But I disagree about not having a time goal for Monkey - I set a marathon PR there!  (because it's at basically sea level, and much flatter than the marathons I'd run before)

Holly,  hope you get the surgery you seem to need!

Thank you for all the good wishes for my DH.  Today was his first day of cancer treatment, and it started out okay, but he got an infusion reaction (reaction to the cancer drugs, which kind of means they're working), so they stopped the treatment and will start again tomorrow.  They kept him overnight in the hospital to keep an eye on him.  They didn't really want to send him home, especially because we live 90 minutes away and there's a snowstorm.   I got home okay, and I'll head back in the morning.

Oh, and no running to report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.