Masters Running

Wed. 9/16 Hump Day Runs and Rests (Read 429 times)

Slo

I also haven't heard Louis Prima.  will look for some later to hear. 

dg,  If you have ever seen "The Jungle Book" movie by Walt Disney, Louis Prima is the voice of the Orangutan named King Louie. He did one of the early recordings of "Jump Jive and Wail" that Brain Setzer resurrected and was used in the Gap commercial several years ago. Jump Jive and Wail was recorded by several artist. which really isn't all that uncommon with the Big Band and Swing Bands.

Would anyone believe that I was forced to watch the Lawrence Welk show every Sunday growing up. I'm taking a Sentimental Journey. 

Hee Haw too!

wildchild

Carolyn

Started out & just did not have whatever it is we're supposed to have. 

Deb, what a great line!  But it sounds like you had a pretty good run anyway.

No, I don't expect to "smoke" my race, but that's because this trail racing series is with a bunch of faster younger runners. (and they don't do age group awards, just 1st 5 finishers.)  I'm a back-of-the-packer at these races, as opposed to a middle-of-the-packer at most other races. I'm OK with it, now that I know where to line up.    And I've made some friends at the back of the pack - several of the same folks from last year's trail series, so it's fun and I have no real pressure to run super fast, just have a good time and enjoy being out on the trails.

Perch, I don't understand how tying the dogs to your waist would be more hazardous than holding their leashes if they saw a deer?  Would you just let go?   I have a hard time hanging onto my dogs if they really get going, so the trick is to get them to stop and sit when they see something interesting.   The two of them outweigh me, and it's especially tough to stop when I'm running and try to put the brakes on - very hard to actually dig in my heels and stop.  So if I see a squirrel up ahead, I slow to a walk.  If they seem like they're about to run, I stop and tell them to sit. That way, if they do try to run,  it's easier to plant my feet and hold them, than it would be if I was running.  Takes some practice and training.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Love the Jungle Book - the story, the music - it's all good stuff!

I'm so glad I don't have to leash my dogs when running. That first 1/2 mile or so would be brutal when they are all giddy and going every which way - trying to run and lick my hands at the same time . . . oy!  Fortunately, they are real well trained and don't run off and listen to voice commands. We can even run by other dogs that are barking crazily and they'll stay by my side. The few dogs that are in our area that aren't behind fenced yards, are older ones that are also well trained to not run out on the street. It'd be different if there were other dogs that ran out towards us.

ran 6 last night and will try for a short run tonight with the dogs, but I'm also getting ready for a 4 day getaway so have all my packing of schtuff to do tonight - including bringing my own food - so quite a bit to do. we'll see what happens.

Tammy

I haven't posted in a while since I've been back more in biking mode recently. No telling what I've missed here, but it's really hard to catch up.

Since I plan on joining my club for a practice run this weekend on the route of an upcoming local HM (The Brooksie Way), I felt the need to stretch some different muscles. 6 miles this morning at an EZ 9:40 pace, enjoying the recent cooldown in the weather.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

lamerunner

Greetings.  85 minutes of pool running  at lunch.  someone shoot me please.... I was going to do less but then just kind of stayed there. I skipped the swimming this time. Kind of missed it, but my hair likes the rest.

Hats off to all the very  early morning  runners!  Pretty nice weather these days.

JLynn - please post a picture of your painted glasses!!    

Would love to, Mary. Alas, I'm "electronically challenged." If someone could tell me how to do it (and, assuming I can actually DO it, I'd be happy to.

All you people running with pets make me envious. All I have is a goldfish and he doesn't like to get out much.

Slo - you're dating yourself. It was a ritual at our house on Saturday night. Lawrence Welk right after dinner. Remember the champagne bubbles and the Lennon Sisters? Then we had to watch Jackie Gleason. Those were the days when the parents controlled the television. No remotes either! We got our first television when I was real little - a black and white. If you wanted color, they had a filmy sheet divided into three colors - red, blue and green I think to put over the tv screen. Wow - am I old...

wildchild

Carolyn

I remember when we got our first color tv... I think I was in middle school.  I remember that the Jacques Cousteau specials looked so much better in color than in b&w!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jlynne- if you want to e-mail them to me I can post them for you.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

. . . Those were the days when the parents controlled the television. No remotes either! ...

My dad had a remote before the days of "remotes" - it was called me or my little brother

and we only had 4 channels . . . of course, nowadays, even with 200+ channels, there are only a small handful worth watching. I probably stick with the same 5-7 channels . . . and I pay $53/month for all the other schtuff not worth watching . . .

ahhh, the good ol days - the parents controlled tv, the kids changed the channels, limited choices in what to watch, no reality tv and no commercials for erectile dysfunction

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

our one station only broadcast in b/w from 6pm to 11pm in those days and was so hard up for programs that everyone in our high school got to star on the local teen club's weekly "21 Questions" and math quiz show.

me too tammy. Not that any of us would know anything about it either, especially because they didn't have them in those days, but not enough tv distractions for sure to need any of those pills even if they had 'em.

. . . and now, for a gratuitous commentary brought to you by Pat's Blue Ribbon -  they only played the Gillette blue blade commercials in between innings instead of nowdays seeming to have occasional play-by-plays break out during otherwise seemingly nonstop commercials posing as sports broadcasts.    

============

erika - how's the weather and fall colors looking for the extra distance/time for the inaugural Equinox Ultra 50K?

It's probably not often that the same event that was a first marathon gets to be the first ultra too. 

============

Still relishing yesterday's butterfly lunch and hoping her Texas friends don't tell anyone about it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.  This morning's wake-up call came from mom at 4:45.  The vicodin wasn't beginning to touch her pain, so back to the ER we went.  They admitted her for observation and she may end up with a short-term skilled nursing facility stay for PT and pain-med-management.  While the idea of her being in a SNF hospital is more than a little scary, she agrees that it's a good idea if short-term.  She's like many runners is one way - won't give in to pain and just rest.  (Not anyone on this board, right?)  Smile

So my last week before the HM is becoming an overblown taper - haven't run since Sunday.  I'm stretching diligently and will try again to be awake enough for at least a short run tomorrow.  

I LOVED Jungle Book.  I vividly remember seeing it in the movie theater at the shore when I was a kid.  The scene with the birds - buzzards? - is sooooo my family:  "What do you want to do?  I don't know, what do you want to do?  I asked you first, what do you want to do?"  So I make the decision and end up being called the bossy one!  Still happens.

Tammy - "My dad had a remote before the days of "remotes" - it was called me or my little brother "  Bwaaahhhh!  Too funny!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Re colonoscopy – my doctor told me that by the time I’m due to have one, I will be able to just swallow a capsule that has a camera that goes through your system taking pictures.  I guess you retrieve it at the end and turn it in. 

I remember my brother having to look for and retrieve is wedding ring.  But that's another story . . . and was symbolical of the marriage.

The Lawrence Welk Show - brings back fond memories of my grandparents' house.  Jackie Gleason - Gleason is my maiden name.  Kids used to ask me if we were related.  I told them he was my uncle.

3 easy peasy miles this a.m., and I gained a new friend.  Depending on which way I run, there's a house I go by where a little old tiny lady sits on her porch in the predawn hours drinking her coffee and smoking.  Her: Good morning! Me: Good morning!  Her: How're you this morning?  Me:  Good, an d you? Her: Good.  You're doing a good job, honey!  When I came back by a bit later.  Me: Have a good day!  Her: You, too, honey!  I just love it when older people call me "honey" like that.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

miss you guys -- worked 3 12 hour nights in a row which i don't love and had stuff going on so my day sleeping wasnt so good either........PBJ don't know how you put in a 17 hour work day -- i've done 16s and they definitely do me in.

back to track tonight after just 4 hours of sleep and watching my son's 1st xcountry meet of the season:

1 mile warmup then 3 min easy followed by 1:30 fast -- 4 sets then took a break and did 4 more sets.........unfortunately my splits were all over the place but 5 of my fast sets were sub 8's which is cool to know i can do.....then did another mile cooldown so totalled 6 miles for the night

now - GOING TO BED!!  will catch up more tomorrow!!

denise

evanflein

Denise, those are long hours that you put in on a regular basis. Kudos to you for all you do to keep the new moms and babies healthy and happy!

Leslie, we have a new neighbor (well, they moved in last year) who greets me from his porch or driveway all the time. He's always asking when I'm going to give Paula Radcliffe a run for her money.  Hey, I'm just impressed that he knows who she is!

I got in 3.65 miles today, nice and easy pace. I'm trying to ignore what feels like shin splint soreness in my right leg, a stiff knee and a sore foot. Same old, same old. Hmph. After my run while I was walking, I went up to where the ultra is supposed to turn off the main course and head back north thru the woods, but I couldn't find any markers. I wonder how they're going to do this...

Tet, the weather looks pretty good, cooler than the last few days (not a bad thing) and it looks like the rain originally forecast for Saturday is being pushed back to Sunday or Monday (yay!). We've had a few nice warm dry breezy days, so the leaves have been falling but probably won't be too wet on the trail. Not bad at all... thinking of wearing shorts vs. capris... 

Just a quick post.  Sorry for not commenting on the day's activities but I am soon off to bed.  Tomorrow the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club Relay Team heads off to the Reach the Beach Relay.  Sigh.  It may be my favorite race of the year.  Of course since I am not going to be there this year it appears that it will not rain!  Grrrrr!    I could have predicted this over a month ago when I formally dropped out of this year's race.  Next year, they better get ready to run in hurricane force conditions! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/