Masters Running

Thu Mar 11 Runs and Workouts (Read 525 times)

Only have time for a quick Hi today. Lifted weights this morning but went easy since I'm still coughing. Might meet my running club tonight for a easy 4-5 miles. Don't want to make the cough worse but would like to get at least one run in before Saturday's 10.5.

BTW, I'll be in Baltimore Mon - Thurs next week for a work. If anyone has some suggestions for running routes early mornings, I appreesh. The snow gone yet?

+++1.  I thought the same thing: 10 degrees?!?  Ho-ly crap! 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Niice long runs for perch, mariposai (with speedwork), kimmie, wild, bike (with speedwork), PBJ (on TM), and holly.

After spending most of yesterday helping my daughter move and then driving to visit my mother and sister who is here for a few days, I wondered if I would have too little energy or desire to run this morning.  On the drive over here, I went near hopeful's and thought of her.  (hopeful, we came from Lansing on I69 and turned north to Ludington on US31).  This morning it was about 43 or 44 degrees and there was just a little wind.  I decided to go out easy and see what happened.   I got in 8 miles in just under 1:22:27 for a 10:18 pace.  I ran by the normal places while here, the carferry docks, where my grandmother used to live, the lakeshore, the cemetery to say "hi" to my dad and some other relatives, and where we used to live.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

TomS - I waved as you drove by!!  Big grin  It is too nice of a day not to enjoy the old stomping grounds.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

in defense of oatmeal  ;-).   it's good raw, I almost always eat it that way.  and usually plain but there's that weird side coming out again.   but if you add fruit & nuts, yum!      :-)

Hi Tom, glad you got a nice run in.

Erika, I agree.  I had 2 pretty good reasons.. but now it's time to get out there.  Last year & till early Feb. this year, I always was outside on the weekends.    Not Fairbanks weather though... I looked & the coldest last year was -5, with 8mph winds. & I only did 8 miles.  This year I did 10 at 10 with 16 mph winds, yucky but still no where even close.     Hey are your eyes ok????    Monk... even I've seen that, & I've never even watched House!   But I don't know who Trudy is.  I liked it but would always forget it was on.

Twocat, Big grin.  

Sue, glad your foot is ok.  Ok, I will follow your lead I think, thanks for your permission!  Smile   I have the same plans for Saturday.  hmmm.  Reminds me of a discussion we had, perhaps, yesterday!  (deja vu)

Enke I think the non-originals might taste too good. 

My DH does stuff too, just finished building a complete set of kitchen cabinets.  And did the bulk of a house we built, but didn't frame it!  Wow Carolyn.  I bet you have some interesting stories to tell.   I know I do.  Wink

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Mari: that trail marathon sounds wonderful...went to check out the site...but... I'll be out at a show that day and also planning to run the Tacoma MM reunion to next day.....hear that Dave  and Jon...and all MM out here...!!!!!!..always assuming the old body holds up.

BTW, third day straight of  running this morning, I've been so bad lately, skipping runs , eating too much, worrying about a little heel issue that I know will not be easy to solve and still not having got around to booking flights to Boston....well at least I have the hotel taken care of ...sort of. I do like to improvise though, I must be Italian after all.

Good runs and Happy  Thursday!!

Francesca

Here's a race for ya - Iditarod Trail Invitational.  Erika, you plannin' on runnnin' this any time soon??

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The coldest I've experienced is only -20C or -2F, at the winter carnival in Quebec City.  I was a stupid Torontonian so I only brought my penny loafers to wear.  Everyone else had big thick boots of course.  I spent a lot of time hiding out in buildings and parking garages where it would be at least a fews degrees warmer.

6 miles in the rain rain rain and wind too.  Lots of hills, and a wet squishy trail.  I ran through one open area where the wind picked up and pelted my face with rain, such that it felt more like hail, and I was thinking to myself.....this is still better than the treadmill....

I was happy to have my tights on

did one sprint at 7:38 pace for just 1/8th mile, the rest of the run was over 13 min pace what with all the hills and my enjoyment of the rain and squishiness and general sloth-like running style.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Just a skim so far. Brick day for me today. 20 miles on the bike, followed by a 6 mile run. I sure hope these spring like conditions last.
                    evanflein

Um yeah, Leslie... like... no I don't think so. That's just nuts.

Twocat, Stumpy is right: it's all a matter of perspective! It hasn't warmed up much above zero today (and yes, this is our spring break week!), but I'm still planning on a run outside after work. We'll see how well I stick to that once I'm home and need to get dressed for it. It was funny yesterday, after I got home, I couldn't believe how long it took to peel off the layers to hit the showers! My biggest concern is the wind after I'm already warmed up. Even at -10 I sweat a bunch and it freezes fast with any sort of wind.

TomS, that's so very nice that you got to run in your old stomping grounds and pay a running visit to Dad and the relatives!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

6 miles in the rain rain rain and wind too.  Lots of hills, and a wet squishy trail.  I ran through one open area where the wind picked up and pelted my face with rain, such that it felt more like hail, and I was thinking to myself.....this is still better than the treadmill....

I was happy to have my tights on

dear enkie -  are you sure you're not erika's seattle sister in hiding?

=====================================

dear mari  - no particular reason but is there a time limit on the Sunflower Mountain Marathon?

dear posie - do you know anyone who might be driving back to Tacoma afterwards? <<<(double/double)>>>

========================

dear francesca - welcome back.

No particular reason but did you notice the several replies

wondering when you'll be posting the Romeo-and-Juliette photos?

==================================

dear other grandparents -

to my daughter's chagrin, I'm occasionally (if not always) encouraging barefooted grandchildren.

So today when I told the 5yo I love his bare feet, he said, "they are people feet, not bear feet."

<<<<(slinking away)>>>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Oh Tetsujin, that was priceless! What a cutie!

Yeah, I was almost thinking that about Enkie, too. Nothing can hold that grrl back. She'd be out there today with me, I'm sure! I ran 5.25 miles with the last 2.25 being back uphill on new snow. Ugh, that was hard! Temps were about zero, or a little below. I was cold the first couple of miles but then warmed up and got sweaty. That's always the way it seems to work. Avg pace was just under 9, which given the new snow and my tired legs, was just fine.