Masters Running

Thursdaily, 11.21.19 (Read 43 times)

And Leslie, good idea about trying out the non-dominant hand more.  And yes, bathroom duty is weird, and have you noticed that the toilet paper roll is always on the right side of the toilet?

. . . not so thrilled about being scheduled for Friday the 13th...

And it's a right-handed world.  Us lefties have learned to adapt over the centuries.

And after doing a rather short search, who knew there was a Lefthanders Day!

Image result for left handed people unite

Hahahaaaa!!!

Related image

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

....back from

taking my 87-year old hiking buddy Bill out for his B'Day

he told

us a story

about his GrandFather who had 9 kids

,,the last 3

were one a year until he died at age 50

Pickles asked ''What did he die from??''

Bill sez

''We're pretty sure my GrandMother poisoned him""

at which point

Pickles spit IcedTea all over herself

and

A Good Time Was Had By All

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good luck with the trip, Twocat.  It should be fine, but it is worrisome.

Joe- your lunch sounds fun.

Jay-  black ice is THE WORST!  Good decision.

Tet- love your pictures.  That looks eerie this morning.

Went downtown for an 11 am memorial ceremony put on by the Nashville Bar (I'm not a member) honoring with resolutions lawyers who have died this year (or so).  One was to honor my co-worker at my last job, and I wanted to attend.  They read resolutions/testimonials about 11 lawyers, and were they ever impressive.  One guy ( early founder of a major law firm here) died at 108 and had accomplished, well, everything!  Another was David Williams II, who was the Vice Chancellor and Athletic Director at Vanderbilt and who I adored.  He was African American and passionate about his student athletes.  He dropped dead in Pancake Pantry earlier this year, which if you knew him, was sad but appropriate. Anyway- it was long but pretty cool and they had lunch for everyone afterwards.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

I ran 5 this morning. Then into the office. My flights to Hong Kong and back are booked. I got the university's permission to buy the travel cancellation insurance. The policy is that they typically will not reimburse you for the insurance if you buy it. But given the situation there, they decided that perhaps this time it was a good idea. The insurance also comes with all sorts of medical help, all of which I hope to not need. The good news is that the people I know in Hong Kong all tell me it is not at all like what you see on the television. If you stay away from the protest areas (which they say are rather confined) then you would not know there was much unusual happening. Boy, I hope so!

My DIL who was born in Hong Kong has the same information from her family.  She was planning on going in December, but now it looks like March.  Her flight got changed, so she was able to cancel it and buy tickets at a much lower price.

5K race walking miles + 3 power walking - I can now say race walking because I channeled my inner Jay and went the fastest I've ever gone - low 13's.  went out in the afternoon, so no black ice worries.

definitely (((group hugs))))

Holly - I have a lemon cake recipe for a bundt pan and I use 2 loaf pans and it's perfect - tweak the cooking time a little.

Carolyn - didn't you also PR in Vermont because of oxygen & low hills?  hope DH is starting to adjust.

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - snork!

Twocat - that trip is a little worrisome, but it sounds like you have it covered....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

I’ll join in that group hug.

Went out for 4.2 mile run in sunny afternoon hovering about 50 degrees. Met Marj briefly on my route congratulating her on her RW time.

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm in on the group hug!  Thanks for all the well wishes for DH.  He's doing better today, but they're going to put off the next dose of the cancer drug for a while.  They'll hopefully release him from the hospital tomorrow. Today I'm just hanging out in his hospital room keeping him company. He has to stay because they have him on IV antibiotics to prevent infections, since his immune system is weakened.  They gave him a blood transfusion which increased his hemoglobin.  He's had two transfusions the past two weeks, and they always make him feel better.

Tramps, that's a gorgeous picture - you live in a pretty place!

Tet,  l like your foggy picture, too! I'm sure this has been asked already, but do you actually count all the stairs?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I planned to walk a treadmill mile or so after work to try to close the Move ring on my Apple watch, but wound up jogging it, so 1 more mile for the day.   Yay me.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

4 sunset miles, unplanned progression of 8:22, 8:09, 7:54, 7:31.

I don't want to trigger anyone, so I'll just say it was a chilly 20°...celsius

I looked for a funny image to add to the Lefthanded thread, but the first thing that came up was

Related image

Virtual hugs!

Image result for group hugs

...I think I'm going to have to switch search engines...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Evening all.    TwoCat, thanks for sharing your fueling strategy.  Very helpful.   Will pass along to my work colleague to just finished in a PR of 3:45 but had major GI issues over the final 9 miles in so doing.   This might help her a lot...thanks.

Our Thanksgiving Lunch went extremely well...got lots of folks together with a good vibe and some good food...amazing side dishes and desserts that folks brought in.   All kind of ethnic dishes...what a fun spread.    Then, had a quiet meal at home with breakfast for dinner...we didn't go to Waffle House but sure enjoyed waffles at  our house.

I'm amazed and pleased with the biggest change to my running habits ever, as I've figured a system to run after work outdoors in the evening.   During this entire second era of my running, which started in 2004, I've been up early in the morning to run.  This fall, I just wasn't answering the bell in the morning, it was really strange and totally threw my rhythm and training off.   Over the past four weeks, I've been experimenting with this new pattern and I'm positive on it.    Got in 6.2 miles this evening...54F and very windy but it had quit raining and was a nice outing.   Pleased.

Your 85 year old's story was a hoot, Bill...double snork. 

Good evening all. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - glad the HK trip's gunna work out

and you have local counsel on stayin' safe.

Have fun.

ps - I know you're a flat-lander and no particular reason but I'm wondering how many stairs on the climb up Victoria Peak.

I'm amazed and pleased with the biggest change to my running habits ever, as I've figured a system to run after work outdoors in the evening.   During this entire second era of my running, which started in 2004, I've been up early in the morning to run.  This fall, I just wasn't answering the bell in the morning, it was really strange and totally threw my rhythm and training off.   Over the past four weeks, I've been experimenting with this new pattern and I'm positive on it.    Got in 6.2 miles this evening.. 

Joe - what gives? Are you staying up later?

Father Time usually seems to keep us from staying up later-and-later so we get up earlier-and-earlier.

Tet- . . . That looks eerie this morning.

KSA - yes, so creepy to make me think I’m running in Transylvania or somewhere. The fog’s so thick in the j-o’clock darkness that I have to hand-hold the headlamp and point it straight down to the ground right in front of me to minimized blinding backlighting into my face.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Tet,  l like your foggy picture, too! I'm sure this has been asked already, but do you actually count all the stairs?

Wildchild - if you mean like do I know by heart each and every of the 866 stairs in 21 stairways in the several access trails and across the upper and lower trails and up-and-down the six interconnecting stairways, the answer is so much “yes” that trying to recount the stairs in order at least to halfway puts me to sleep as fast as trying to recite a favorite poem to the end, which also never happens before falling asleep either: 1st stairway - 305 stairs / 2nd - 110 / 3 - 10 / 4 - 14 / 5 - 22 / 6 - 05 / 7 - 38 / 8 - 05 / 9 - 13 / 10 - 11 / 11 - 33 / 12 - 20 / 13 - 46 / 14 - 49 / 15 - 57 / 16 - 40 / 17 - 13 / 18 - 07 / 19 - 25 / 20 - 32 / 21 - 11

ps Joe816 - if possible, any chance to be considered for stair nerd status would be greatly appreciated. I also have the same for the 500+ stone stair up two nearby mountain trails I like, to say nothing of five mountain temples I’ve run up-and-down several times each in Japan with from 1,148 - 1,268 stairs each and, if still not enough, there’s always all the stairways built into the Mt. Fuji trails. One thing I like about stairs is that they’re usually smooth enough to be very barefoot friendly, to say nothing of pleasantly warm on sunny summer days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't want to trigger anyone, so I'll just say it was a chilly 20°...celsius

Joe - as the weather gets colder, I often wish I was an after-work runner, but I just seem to have no energy after the work day. If I don't work out in the morning, it usually does not happen.

Tet - I would need to carry a counter....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."