Masters Running

TGIFridaily 12/3 (Read 36 times)

bioguy

Hello Masters!

Slightly more “normal” conversations permeated the thread  yesterday; little to no pooping stories or outrageous clothing concerns mentioned. 

Jay was too busy to post much besides his 2.7 miles in the drizzle.

JLynne is selling a drug dealer’s worth of chocolate and coffee; also ran 6.4.

Karen ran 4, then rushed to a church meeting.

Holly is still feeling a lot of pain, but remembering to count her blessings.

Dnaff is babying an IT band; raking leaves on the agenda.

Tammy rode the bike and did some strength work.

BTY- good on you for sticking with the original deal regarding GN and his Dad. Rest day.

Leslie has settled on Tucker and Sam for names.

Tramps has a lot on his plate with MIL’s hospice care. Bike riding in the hills and a 5 mile run. BTW- my daughter uses LastPass as a password manager and loves it. I’ll look at the Wirecutter review site which is my go to for any consumer advice and see what they recommend.

Murray gets the 5K done.

Denise is on the Peloton for 30 minutes and takes a Barre class.Surly ran 5.25 including some speedy repeats.

Mike ran 7 then lifted weights; man I wish I had your energy.

Steve woke up in pain but ran 2.2.

Tet popped in several times during the day; that Mad magazine cover brought back memories.

I had a much better day at school, came home and rode the Peloton for an hour, watched Jeopardy, and had an early bedtime. Today might not be as nice as its Friday which means teachers will call out and I’ll have to cover someone else’s class. I just joined a Facebook group called Life After Teaching. Wonder which way that might push me.

Have a greta day!

BTW- a guy ran the JFK with a GoPro and posted it on YouTube. I'd not expect anyone to watch all 18 minutes of this, but fast forward through bits and you'll have a great idea of the course. And I highly recommend the  the 7:20 second mark which is the start of the descent at Weverton Cliffs. Watching this I was reminded of how beautiful the weather was. The gentleman that filmed this was a middle of the packer; he finished two hours before I did.

Have a greta day!

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks again, Bioguy.

I'm just here to report this morning's 6.2 miles with a very achy and tender right hip. I have no idea what it going on with it, so I was just very slow and EZ today.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning.

BTY - I haven't commented much, but have been following your GN discussions.  You and your DW are doing a great job.  I hope it all turns out well.

I have the doc appt at 11:40 today to get the bandages off and the boot on.  Looking forward to seeing what my foot looks like....

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I enjoyed the video bioguy. I did skip ahead at parts but watched the cliff section and the ending, which was amazing.

3.24 miles for me this morning.

!0 weeks of programming was install overnight.  I am monitoring things and trying not to stress myself out worrying about what I messed up.  No amount of planning and testing ever catches everything.  In the meantime I am chipping away at all the little projects that have been stacking up waiting for me to finish the bigger one.

Hope you get some extra help with the foot pain when you get the boot off Holly.  One time I was in the hospital and they had a IV in my hand and it hurt something terrible.  When they finally took it out after a day or so I was so relieved and it surprised them that it was hurting like it was.  They said I should have said something earlier so they could have addressed it.   So maybe they can do something once they know the extent of the pain.

I have the doc appt at 11:40 today to get the bandages off and the boot on.  Looking forward to seeing what my foot looks like....

I'm hoping it looks like a foot that will be running marathons again soon!  Good luck Holly.

Thanks for the start and recap bioguy.  Here's hoping that your day at school is uneventful.  The JFK looks like a tough race.  Thanks for sharing the video.

Don't stress out Dave.  Your programming always turns out perfect!

Hey Tramps - you and Tribee are the best.  I'm hoping my kids will be able (and willing) to take on these difficult moments you're going through with your MIL.

Reindeer pancakes!!  Hope you're feeling better today Steve.

Snow overnight.  I went to the Y and did 45 minutes on the elliptical and "tried" to run a whole mile without stopping on the treadmill.  It did not go well, and my back let me know I was doing stoopid things so I stopped.  Finished with 25 minutes of core and stretching.

DH and I are going to see Charlie Berens tonight.  He's a comedian from Wisconsin with kind of a Midwest "schtick."  He's got a book on the NTY bestseller list right now and does a bunch of short Face Book videos.  The "Husbands at Target" is hilarious.  If you need a laugh, it's a good one.

Happy Friday everyone.

Thanks, bioguy.  Wow- that's some video.   Holly- good luck!  Tramps- best to you and your family with the end of life issues.   Steve- I, too, hope you are feeling better!   Jeanne- enjoy the show tonight.  Wow on the snow.  I'm not ready....   Jay, I hope your hip is ok.

4.5 miles for me this morning.  Sunny and 45.  Having lunch with some former co-workers and then have to make a couple of round trips up to Vanderbilt Med because Ken is having some plastic surgery on his nose following yesterday's Mohs procedure for a skin cancer.  It's scheduled for 5 pm today.  How convenient......

Have a greta Friday and weekend ahead!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Happy Friday, everyone.

Thanks for the start bioguy

Holly--hope all goes well with the boot installation.

Dave--Florida. Ouch. They did something similar to the Caps just a couple of days ago.

Surly--you've got some catching up to do in the robot department.

Thanks for the kind words re: family stuff. It is what it is, as they say.

Thanks for recommendations on password stuff, too. I'm taking 1Password for a test drive. Reviews seem to gravitate around it, Last Pass, Dashlane, and Keeper. They all have their pros and cons, I guess; no clear-cut winner.

Out for 15 miles on the bike in blindingly sunny conditions. A little overdressed but otherwise a good ride.

Enjoy the weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - are the reindeer pancakes

the weirdest thing you do with the GK's?

I'd like to ask them.

. . . a guy ran the JFK with a GoPro and posted it on YouTube.

bio - fantastic. Thanks.

. . . not expect anyone to watch all 18 minutes of this, 

bio - me neither, .  . . unless they done their own 50's and have been obsessed with the JFK since 1963.  Very neat Stars-and-Stripes logo t-shirts too. However, though I've seen Go-Pros attached to bike helmets, sometimes it didn't even seem like the runner was holding it in either hand and, more surprising was that the frame never bounced around as if he were carrying it.

ps - when a barefoot maniac (not me) was submitting some of his marathons to Guinness, he had to submit Go-Pros of the entire race.

pps - I wouldn't post anything substantive here in the daily to get lost in so many dailies and hard to find again so reposted it in your RR.

Final sand brigade for the muddy slipperiness I pick-axed to be a little flatter pathway along the doggie paths up on the steep, 33-step staircase that pitched too dangerously down the side of the hill when wet as it will be from November through, at least, the end of March..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the start, Bio.  Better sleep last night?? I'll have to check out that video at lunch.

Final sand brigade for the muddy slipperiness I pick-axed to be a little flatter pathway along the doggie paths up on the steep, 33-step staircase that pitched too dangerously down the side of the hill when wet as it will be from November through, at least, the end of March..

Tet - Do you get trail credit for that work?? 

Holly - Good luck at the doc.  Tell them how much pain you've been in.  Don't try to suck it up and suffer.  It doesn't help the healing process.

Steve - Hope the pain has gone away.

Loved the robots, Surly!

I got in 5 very foggy, predawn miles and threw in a few "speedy" spirts for the heck of hit.

[Skip if not interested in Kitty Drama]

Another cat closet incident.  We tried taking away the carrier they were both constantly hiding in.  At one last evening when I went in the room, they were both on the top of a dresser in the closet and I eventually was able to pet both of them, even Sam, the most scared one.  And I petted them for quite awhile.

This morning, Sam had found another spot to hide in the closet (and no, there are no doors in the closet, which is why we're having the problem).  Again, we had to drag stuff out to find him and when we did he wouldn't move, so The Hub took one for the team by grabbing him and getting him out there.  Got a couple of good scratches for his efforts.  Worked on getting more holes plugged - we'll see. In the meantime, I put the small carrier back in the room, but on a box next to the bed so we can relax on the bed next to it and read or whatever and pet him from the top of the carrier.

One of the things I've read is to always leave the room on a positive note, so I sat where Sam had plastered himself in a corner and slowly crept close enough to pet him, brought out everyone's favorite cat treats, and after awhile got him to eat a few from my fingertips.  Poor guy.  When I was leaving for the work I told The Hub they'll both come around with lots of time and patience (Tucker is almost there), and that by this time next year Sam will be sleeping in our laps.  He said he hoped so and, since he's not working today, he's going to spend some more time in there.

Tucker's funny.  He doesn't like you to approach him from above, but if you get on the floor and start playing, he's all over you in a couple of minutes.  He even lets you pick him up.  It's just the initial "OMG! They're Back!!!!" 

(L) Tucker  (R) Sam
                    May be an image of cat

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - why do the cats need to come out from their hiding places?   Can't you just leave food and water and a catbox in there, spend time in there each day reading or something, and just let them come out when they get used to your presence and the new digs?  Seems like you are working hard to remove their hiding places when maybe they just want to chill there for a few more days.

I did NOT get a boot today.  Instead, they removed the bandages and wrapping, looked at it, then wrapped it back up again with new bandages and told me to come back in a week to get a non-weight-bearing cast, which I will wear for 4 weeks.  She also said STOP taking ibuprophen and minimize the Tylenol because 1) fusing joints is an inflammatory response and so we need the inflammation for proper healing and 2) the pain meds already have Tylenol in them.  Well that's just great.  I have to REDUCE my pain control methods, or take more pain meds, and I am trying not to do that.  The last thing I want is to have to detox from the pain pills when this is over.

Here's my lovely foot...she said the worst of the swelling won't be over for a few more days.

May be an image of one or more people and tattoo

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The day before the kid shot up the school, his mother was informed by the school that he had been cited for improper use of the Internet by using it to browse sites selling ammunition. The mom texted to the kid "LOL. I'm not mad at you but you have to learn not to get caught". And who buys their 15yo son a Sig Sauer 9mm semi-automatic pistol as a Christmas present? Both parents have now been charged with 4 counts each of involuntary manslaughter...

ETA: Holly -- yikes! But maybe not as bad looking as you thought?

I didn't sleep well last night as I was back to worrying about my DS, who was laid off for the rest of the year yesterday due to general supply problems that are plaguing the auto industry. He's already in the process of applying at a new place that looks like a big step up (and not auto related!) and has an interview next week, but is there ever a point where you stop worrying about your kids? I guess not...

Rode 21.8 miles on the trainer this morning, which is the longest ride I've done in quite a while. It was totally flat for more than half the distance, then some considerable effort getting up the hills toward the end (see profile in the below screenshot). 760 ft of climbing, and all in that last section where I had already been riding for almost an hour.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good afternoon masters, been a loooong time! First run post surgery and damn was it ugly... Oh well, I got it out of the way on the TM cause it's sheer ice outside and a mite colder than my indoor gym. (14 F with a wind) I rediscovered my quads and not in a good way... Holly, that looks painful to me and I hope it heals perfectly so you can get back out there and do what you love to do. Jlynne easy does it when you are doing the rehab thing. Your body is telling you it's too early to be running I think. Karen, you are lucky to have such nice temperature, good for you! Have a great day folks and may your feet hit the ground running!

Glad to see you, sub7!   Holly- that looks terrible.  I'm sorry about the meds getting so complicated.     Leslie- beautiful kitties.  They WILL come around.

Yeah- I think the parents in the Michigan shooting are in trouble. No one ever thinks their child will do something like this- it is so horrible- but there were just too many warning signs there.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Oh Holly that foot!   It looks so painful.

Leslie, thank you for being such a good cat mom.  When I volunteered at the shelter we did some sort of feline personality test on the kitties.  Then we could see who could be in which room with whom.  (8 cats to a room).  Kind of like roommate matching in college.  Anyway, one room always needed classical music playing for them to get along...

Someone on here recommended Joanna Gaines' pumpkin bread.  I made it this afternoon and it looks beautiful.  And the house smells so good.  It is for a girlfriend get together tomorrow so I'll have to wait a day to see how it tastes.

Doug, I saw the news on the parents - there are no words.

And lastly, Steve, our town Christmas walk is tonight and one of the businesses is offering secret recipe reindeer food if you come in their store.  Have you been selling in Illinois?

On the exercise front: dog walking and pt stuff.  Way above normal temps and sunshine so the dog gets extra walks today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Holly that foot!  

I meant to say, my foot is not normally that nasty-looking, but all the bruising and remnants of iodine make it look, like Kevin said, like I have Frankenfoot.  Plus the lovely wrinkling of my leg from the extended bandaging.  Boy she put the new bandage on tight, too.  Bleck.

Sub7 - I was wondering how you were faring.  Easy does it, coming back from surgery.

Jlynne - you need to also be careful - you did have major surgery not long ago...

Leslie - those are lovely kitties.

Roch - I love your bike trainer adventures!

Tet - I think it is awesome that you are fixing up the trails you run on.  I hope the others who use that trail appreciate it!

DH decided that with my foot, maybe going out to dinner is not a good idea (thanks!) so he is swinging by a favorite restaurant to get us a couple of Philly Cheesesteaks to bring home.  Yum!  (And my waistline continues to get bigger, and bigger...)