Masters Running

Happy 4th! (7.4.19 daily) (Read 44 times)

''seems you can make a rib thing worse if you're stupid, and I don't think there's an anti-stupid rule. mebbe there should be.''

ironically,

I was telling Claire this week, ''Stupid ought to Hurt''

and

my favorite-

''if it hurts when you DoDat.........DON' DODAT!!!!!

==============

..88-degrees, no wind, actually pretty humid....

..65-min RC at really hard-packed soccerfields.....

..............Happy 4th to Ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Happy Independence Day!  DW and I drove up to Loretto, TN (RunnerKSA, it's south of Columbia; about 10-15 miles from the Alabama-Tennessee border) for the 5k.  It's been cooler, and warmer.  I have to look at the Garmin splits but third mile was 7:15 and first in 6:35 so I went out a bit quick.  Still, good enough for 14th overall (of 186 finishers) and a grandmaster win.  A friend (and another grandmaster) was 2 seconds behind me so I'm glad I didn't fade much more.  First 4 finishers were under 17:00 and the race winner proposed to the third overall female (about 10 seconds behind me); a young lady I've run with since she was in middle school (I think she's a rising junior in HS now) was first overall female.  Good to catch up (and then run with) a lot of friends.  My time was 21:46 which is a bit disappointing but I'll see what I can do about that.  I did run out to the start (2.87 miles) and another .35 or so before we were called to the starting line.  Also, it's the first time (since last year at this race) that I wore racing flats.  And they have a few miles on them.  The prizes are made by the kids at the school that the race supports.  I now have a flag-themed painted board to go with the small painted pallet I won at the same race several years ago.

The pork shoulder that went into the crock pot last night turned out great, very tender; able to pull a clean bone out when I pulled it apart.

Surly, deepest condolences to you and your family.

Have a greta Independence Day!

The prizes are made by the kids at the school that the race supports.

One of my favorite finisher's "medal" is a standing wood picture frame made by the wood shop kids for the school the race supported.  Pictures were taken of all the racers early in the race, and when we crossed the finish line, we got the small frame with a picture.  I loved that race; unfortunately, it only lasted about 4 or 5 years.

TW - Ha!! My dad would turn is head a certain way and say, "It hurts when I do that."  Me: "Then don't do that."  He didn't appreciate the humor. 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!  And Happy Birthday to Econo and Peter!

Ran a 5 mile race this morning. Then went out for another 4 after that. I didn't hang around for awards because I don't hardly ever place in those anymore and I didn't really push myself today since I knew the 5 miles was just part of a longer run I had planned. Come to find out I got 3rd in my AG. lol. A friend got 2nd and said she got my medal for me. 
          there was a huge turnout for this race. It's a memorial run (this is the 3rd anniversary) of two top HS runners that died in a plane crash on the 4th out on the coast. One of the kids dad was the pilot, and the other kid was his best friend. Both were the top runners of their HS, and in between their junior/senior year. Plane went down over the ocean but not far off the coast, all 3 died. They had SAR out there for a couple weeks searching for them (recovery mission). I think two of the bodies were eventually recovered if I'm remembering right. Anyways, this is a big race done in their memory each 4th of July with all money going to running scholarships,. 

Total of 9 miles for me today.

Tammy

spacityrunner

Freedom 5K this morning.  58 minutes...  lots of fun

Here I am coming into the finish, sling and all...and if you look closely you can see the steri strips still on my shoulder.  I thought they would have fallen off by now.

Erika's cast is prettier

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Bioguy - that sounds like a great concert.

Falconfixer - Grandmaster win - sweet!

Tammy - 3rd AG, and not even trying - well done!

Dg - ouch!

Spacity - good for you just getting out there, given the givens.  You made everyone on the sidelines look like big wussies...

Surly Bill - sorry to hear about your SIL.  Gosh, it seems like she was just diagnosed.

Tammy - when DD got pulled over on Memorial Day, she was charged with reckless driving and something about not staying in her lane (she saw the cop and panicked, tried to turn quickly onto a sidestreet, and hit the curb).  She was also charged with OVI (hence the drug test).  And yes, I am sure she will fail the test because, while she says she had not smoked pot in 6-8 hours, that will probably still show  just the same as if it was only minutes before (or a week before, etc).  Then, she got pulled over for speeding two weeks later, and was charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia (both minor misdemeanors) but not speeding.

5 miles for me this morning and then 9 holes of golf with DH and another couple.  I actually had the best game I have ever played today (not that I am that good or anything).

I told DH this morning, "I'm going to put on something black and lacy for you."  But it was just my new UA golf skirt....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Happy Fourth of July to all of you!!   Nice start, Jay!!  Hope your race went well.

Bill, so sorry for the loss of your SIL.   That's so hard for your brother.   My best to all of you, knowing lonely and hard days are ahead of all of you.

Dave, nice getting out for the 5K!  Every run is a good run, no matter what.  Liz and Tammy, great running too.   Falcon, terrific racing!   And did the girl to whom the winner proposed...was she a junior in HS??  Or College?

Tet, sorry for no flags in Seattle.   Holidays should be special, not just an excuse for a day off.   That's really kind of sad, IMHO.

Bio, how cool for the Stones concert!   Glad you enjoyed it and found Satisfaction.

We're enjoying July 4 in suburban MPLS.   Ran around 8am today and whereas the Wednesday afternoon run wasn't that humid, this morning's air almost required a machete to chop through.   It occured to me, though, it was appropriate to have heavy HH&H in the land of Hubert H. Humphrey.

Looking forward to watching fireworks this evening, though it will be 10pm before it's dark enough here to shoot them off.   If I wake up tomorrow in time, I'll go run early again.

Rock your holiday, all.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

TammyinGP

Holly, yep her test will be hot. THC stays in the system for 4-6 weeks. We challenge those tests in DUII's because a positive test alone does not correlate to impaired driving. it's just the waste product that has been diluting in one's system for weeks. the test really only serves the purpose of showing if someone's been using if they are on probation for example and ordered to abstain. 

oh and a Very Happy Birthday to Paul also!

Tammy

an amazing likeness

Happy 4th to all.

I raced in a 10K at the crack of dawn this morning...you know, just me and Joan Benoit and some other folks.  The course is downhill for the opening 1.2mi, then climbs to the hill of death at 4.5mi as the temps climbed into the mid-80s.  It fits my patented race strategy of 'start fast and fade to the finish' to the T. So that's what I did, posting a 90+ sec positive split 5k/5k. Uggh, stupid yet again. Joan was eating pancakes by the time I hit the 1/2 mark.

(link to race report I wrote on this race 10 years ago back when RA was itself was a smaller community and much more like this group; too bad the pics have expired...)

Followed by helping my older brother launch his boat -- July 4th is the start of summer here in northern New England, so time to hit the water. All that meant a nap was in order while DW watched Wimbledon tennis.

Then off to dinner at nearby lobster shack...view from dinner:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LOL, Joe.  HHH.  That’s good.  My summer visits to MSP always seemed to coincide with lots of mosquitos.

We are hearing some fireworks and the dog hasn’t freaked out yet.  May be able to see a few from the house later-  or will watch on TV.  I really love fireworks, but going in person has become a hassle- and it’s late....    My favorite fireworks have been Disney World, after a Phillies game years ago and in Boston one 4th of July on the river.

We continue to struggle with the issue of marijuana testing at work.  We only do pre-employment drug testing at our distribution centers since the jobs are quite safety sensitive.  We are considering removing marijuana from the panel.  The laws on all this change rapidly.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

I had to pop back in to report my 7.4 mile run.  And to say congratulations to our racers, today!  Wow!  Some very impressive performances.  spacityrunner--I was ordered to take off 8 weeks after my shoulder surgeries and you're out there running races?!   Very impressive.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Nice view, Milktruck.  Jealous that you got to run (well, sort of) with Joan.  Sounds like a tough race!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

an amazing likeness

Nice view, Milktruck.  Jealous that you got to run (well, sort of) with Joan.  Sounds like a tough race!

She's a relatively routine entrant in events in the area, often with her son. Not too much of a celeb in the sense that she's a long-time regular in the racing community and routinely battles with 4 -5 other women for lead F. Today's race course actually goes by her house, on the left, about 1min 11sec in this course video.

"...For local running celebrity Joan Benoit Samuelson, 62, the Freeport course is well-trod territory. Samuelson, who won the gold medal in the women’s marathon at the 1984 Olympics, completed the race for the 34th consecutive year, this time in 40:27 to finish first in the women’s 60-64 age division and eighth overall among women. “I felt surprisingly strong in the heat and humidity,” said Samuelson. “Not quite fast enough to go under 40 (minutes), but I held my own out there.”  Her 34-year consecutive streak is a personal record for Samuelson..."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joe618

Nice racing, milktruck.   10Ks are never easy.      Terrific photo...that's really cool.

Joan Benoit...I had a 5 second "interaction" with her last October at the Chicago Marathon.   I was in a downtown hotel for a nephew's wedding the day before, so got up early to watch the Marathon.   As it happened, she was running close to the curb where I was watching, not in the middle of the street and I recognized her and yelled "Go, Joanie go!"  As she hauled past, I looked and got a thumbs up from her.   So cool.

KSA, thanks for getting my Hubert Humphrey allusion.   "Pleased as punch to be here!" he was famous for saying.

MikeE, our Saturday meet-up is going to work...I'll text you.

Fireworks are about an hour away, as the sun is up till nearly 10pm here.   Have a primo view from the deck of DS's home...so nice.

And both the Cubs and the A's won today.   Who would have guessed my A's would be two games better by record than my Cubs halfway through the season??

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

7.2 ez trail miles. 6hrs set-building cross training.

Great races! I'll be missing my home town 5k 4th of July race this year (Saturday). I was looking forward to running it healthy, but I already knew I couldn't schedule a trip to OR because of the theater production. So I'm running a local 12hr race instead.

Thanks for the thought concerning my SIL. As to be expected, my brother is taking it hard, and has already decided to be a hermit and do nothing the rest of his life. I think it will be a passing phase.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying