Masters Running

Teresa's Maine Coast HM Report - very long! (Read 373 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job on your first half marathon! You and Martha stuck together the whole way? Thats great that you have a training partner that you're so well matched with. I agree that it's nice to know the course ahead of time. Great job! One question, though - wouldn't it have taken less time to change the tire than to wait for the cab?
    Blush Blush OK, I admit it, I don't know how! Good point - I will get DH to show me how! Yes, I'm lucky to have such a great training partner. I did slow down just a bit at the end to finish with her, but it affected my time by only 20 seconds or so. Sometimes she's faster than I am, and other times I am quicker. She's better at going up hills, and I'm better at going down.
    SteveP

Well Done!!!! Your powerful RR rocks!!! Thanks

SteveP

Great job Theresa! Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

King of PhotoShop

Just now getting to this. Teresa, I'm so happy for you, and I see how excited you are by the tone of your post. You have every right to be pumped. Look at what you have accomplished. Not only your first half, but you also learned so much valuable information too. Making a written list of what to do and bring on race day is a very professional approach. Often we read in RR's how people forgot a very important item due to the nervousness of race day. Also, scoping out the course in advance is a great idea for a race of any distance. You can be sure the race winner did this. We should do it too. Very nice job. Spareribs
          Tramps

Great job, Theresa! Congratulations. Your enthusiasm comes through so clearly here...even your cab driver picked up on it!

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sorry, two more questions. a. knowing 1:1 timing - watch alarm is sometimes to quiet; kitchen timer? b. did you adjust the 1:1 at all for aid stations, portas, ascents and descent on hills, etc.?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations Teresa! I'm glad to hear you planned so well and followed your plan!
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

sorry, two more questions. a. knowing 1:1 timing - watch alarm is sometimes to quiet; kitchen timer? b. did you adjust the 1:1 at all for aid stations, portas, ascents and descent on hills, etc.?
                  a. I used my Garmin 305 - the time alert is louder than the distance alert. I had the distance alert set, too, though, and sometimes we would mistake one for the other! There is a timer called a Gymboss availabe at this site http://www.jeffgalloway.com/detail.aspx?ID=49 that my running partner used. She had it set on "low" and it was loud enough for me to hear, a few feet away. One warning with it: It stops after 100 minutes! That was a surprise to her in the middle of our race. It's easy to reset, but it's good to know about ahead of time. b. It was funny - just through luck, almost every time we got to an aid station, we were walking. The one time we were running, I just grabbed a cup and held onto it until the next walk interval! I have a big bladder, so I never worried about stopping at a porta potty. Until the last mile, I stuck to the run/walk intervals no matter where I was - uphill, downhill, whatever. At mile 12, though, I was at the top of a big dip when I was supposed to start walking, so I ran two minutes in order to make it down the hill, and then walked a minute up the other side of the dip. We did run up one BIG hill that everyone else around us walked! Even that was an empowering experience. I have a good friend who is going to run the Chicago Marathon in a couple of weeks, and she's freaking out because she just had a horrible 18-mile run (she was crying, it was so bad). I think I will suggest she try a little walking!

Top 'O the World!

CONGRATULATIONS Teresa!! Well done!! I have not yet tried that method...although, I do take walk breaks "as needed"...usually because I went out too fast for my level/ability.. Blush
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      I have a good friend who is going to run the Chicago Marathon in a couple of weeks, and she's freaking out because she just had a horrible 18-mile run (she was crying, it was so bad).
                      Teresa, You should tell your friend she doesn't have to cry when things go badly. She can do what a man would do, which is get angry and find someone to yell at. Fine job in your race, and good race report. Your running/walking half was almost as fast as my one and only half last year. Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        Very well done indeed Teresa! Congratulations on not only having a plan but following it to fruition. You should be very proud of your accomplishments, and yes this is not exactly a "flat" course. It's too bad your day got off to a rough start, but you quite obviously didn't let that deter your abity to run a "smart" race. I ran the 5K before the Half started and then went out and ran the Half course as marathon paced training run. I was hoping to spot you as I traversed the course and gave as many props to the ladies as I passed by. I think you all did so very fantastic I just can't say enough. Congratulations again on a great job and I hope to see you out there someday! Big grin
                          Totally magnificent report and results! Smile May this be the first of many more Cool RRs from you. And I have to tell you, how timely from our perspective--now that DH is back recuperating from the bypass, he wants to get up to another half marathon (he ran his first one in just under 2:15). I hope you wouldn't mind fielding a few questions about the Garmin and your Galloway implementation when we're up in your neck of the woods? Can't wait to meet you, grins, A ps: as for lists--I have a list of what to pack when I travel to a marathon that I just print out before each trip, modifying for weather, etc.
                          Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Way to go Teresa!! I just knew you'd do well! You almost beat your pre-injury goal time which is just great. Congratulations.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

coastwalker

Hi Theresa, What a great race and RR!! The only thing that went wrong was that #$*&!! flat tire, and you handled that very well, especially given the circumstances. You and Martha did a great job of sticking to your pre-race plan, and got terrific results as a result of it. Perhaps most importantly, you had a great day, a lot of fun, and a most memorable race! Thanks for sharing your experience, and for bringing as much enthusiasm and excitement to your RR as you did to the race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys!! I e-mailed my RA race report to my friend doing the marathon, and she wrote back and said she's going to go the run/walk route. I'm happy for her, because I was afraid she was going to overdo it and end up getting hurt. She's gung-ho like that sometimes! DH thinks the best evidence that Martha and I ran a smart race is that we're hardly sore at all today. I signed up for my "reward" massage on Wednesday afternoon - it's a guy who's a runner and does a good job. Smile