Masters Running

Fridaily, 8.10.18 (Read 38 times)

evanflein

I was still thinking about how someone should sue a hotel for having a super hot workout room 

I know, right? I hate that about hotel workout rooms, always too damn hot. Never thought to sue one though. Good idea, C-R!

Holly, I just don't think he thinks before opening his mouth. I just can't believe he'd really mean that the way it sounded, but who knows. Hang in there, grrlfren.

Wasn't sure how the legs would feel after last night's trail run, but I got out this morning for 5.5 "easy" miles in chilly 50° temps. Took almost 3 miles for my hands to warm up! Did pretty well on this run, and I have "easy" in quotes because the last two miles back up the hill are never really easy. Garmin measured the first mile long and after uploading it and checking the map, I see it had me cutting through the woods and someone's house on the way to the bikepath. Hmmm, sure don't remember that shortcut...

LOL Norm about the other forum.  At least you weren't permanently banned from a forum!  I have that honor!

My former CEO (stud runner for SMU back in the day) used to say, "Hotel gym equipment COMES broken!"   At least that has improved with the last 10 years of more focus on fitness and business travelers.  I DO agree about the temperatures-  and low ceilings is another gripe I have.  I just feel so claustrophobic.   It is SUCH a pleasure to get to a hotel and have an outstanding gym if I need it.

A year or so ago I had a trip to a meeting which was on the premises of the DFW airport (Dallas).  It was in the really nice Hyatt, but I called up there to ask about any outside running possibilities (I lived there 30 years and couldn't imagine this was going to be an option, but I wasn't sure exactly where the hotel was situated).  The person I spoke with laughed and said some people run around the roof of the parking garage across the way from the hotel, but that they had a really nice fitness center with new treadmills.   I as skeptical, but when I got there it was awesome.  360 degree view of downtown Dallas and downtown Ft. Worth and the airport runways.  High ceilings, good temperatures and great equipment.  Good TVs.  I was extremely impressed!   So- it's not all bad.   Also had a good experience at the Ritz Laguna Niguel.    The normal places I stay (Hamptons etc) not so much.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hah. I remember that Karen (from your posts). Still the gold standard. Perhaps I need to up my game and see if I can join your elite club.

Hmmm. What if I sue and settle for lifetime elite status and 1million points. Any thoughts from you legal eagles. Happy to share the spoils.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I forgot to answer a question from yesterday. My orthopedist wants me to try getting a cortisone shot before opting for surgery. But, the cortisone shot impairs you immune system and he needs that fully functional post surgery. Plus, the recovery time from the operation is so long that there will be lots of time to get the cortisone shot and see how it does. If it does not do the trick there will still be lots of time left in the hamstring recover period to then get my back operated on.

Hotel gyms range from super awful to really nice these days. I can live with super awful if I know that is what it will be before I book a room. What I hate is when the hotel advertises it has a gym, maybe even has a shot of what looks like a pretty decent one and then you arrive and it is three machines in a converted storage area with no air and maybe even lacking windows.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

My former CEO (stud runner for SMU back in the day) used to say, "Hotel gym equipment COMES broken!"  

The exercise room at the condo's where I live is like a bad hotel gym. I have been think of asking if they would let me upgrade it some.  I'm pretty sure I could find a better treadmill on the used market to replace what is there.  It's silly having a room full bad stuff that feels like it will break when you step on it.

We already have an extra monthly fee added to pay for the new roofs we all need, so the residents wouldn't agree to use any money for exercise equipment. Half of the residents drive their cars the 200 feet to the clubhouse to check their mailbox, so a new treadmill would be of no interest.

Half of the residents drive their cars the 200 feet to the clubhouse to check their mailbox, so a new treadmill would be of no interest.

Holly - Ice cream is always a good one to love.

PT - A 45 min meet and greet, which impressed me.  Because he couldn't make anything hurt during the exam and almost all of my symptoms are post-workout, he thinks it's all nerve issue and no bursitis, which to me is a good thing.  I asked if a nerve can mimic bursitis and he said absolutely.  He says there's an obscure nerve that runs through your butt and he thinks it might be the culprit, since it comes from deep in my right butt cheek then wraps around the back of my upper hamstring/lower butt check (where the butt crease is) and inward.  He'll be delving into his anatomy books to learn more about it.

In the meantime . . . tomorrow I'm allowed to run 5 min (yes, minutes not miles).  If I have no symptoms throughout the rest of the day, Monday, I can run another 5 min.  If no symptoms, Wednesday I can increase to 6 min, etc., etc.  Same with strength training - about half a bridge 15x.  Wait a day.  Half a bridge 15x, etc., increase from there.  The object is to find the point at which the symptoms start to show up again.

I liked this guy.  I'm feeling a bit more positive.  Still keeping my ortho appt for next Friday.  I would like to maybe see if anything appears wonky in my low back since I've had 3 bad falls over the last 20+ years.  PT said something could definitely be originating in area like the low back, but shows symptoms elsewhere.

Anyway - I got back to work and age a chocolate chip cookie. 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Norm- you would have to show that you complained over and over that it was dangerously hot, and then they would still say that you assumed the risk.  You have a better chance if you get hurt on bad equipment that they mis-repaired or if someone mugs you while you are alone in the fitness room!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Our condo upgraded to brand new equipment a few months ago and it’s on AC. But I still prefer the outdoors.

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, I'm happy that you like your PT! Hope he figures out what your issues are!  And I hope the 5 minutes of running feels fine and you can ramp it back up.

My doctor told me I could do some biking, but everything's so darn steep and rocky here, so there's no way to do easy biking.  But I decided to go to the rec center and ride the stationary bike on the easy setting.  I rode 5 miles in 25 minutes, then did some weights.  I haven't been to the rec center in several years and I discovered that it's free to county residents over 60, so I may become somewhat of a regular there!   I live in a small rural county, and the rec center has 3 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, 3 ellipticals, maybe a dozen weight machines, and a free weight room, and I don't think I've ever seen it crowded.   Unlike hotel fitness centers, the exercise area is in a two-story high space with skylights in between the swimming pool and the gym, with big windows looking out at the woods.  Quite nice.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

for the record,

it still offends me when they put captions on the screen during ''Swamp People''

same as Steve's neat comment on him not being understood by the accenters either,

I'd say I never thought of it from the other side but that wouldn't be too good so I won't.

rats, I thought hot hotel gyms was going to be about the clientele.

But I still prefer the outdoors.

me too, except when it became free as an advantage of the aging process

and some of the aquafit, etc. classes provided an incentive for the exercise

I probably wouldn't do on my own without the 90% gals who show up..

Do need to get back to the more intense spinning classes though.

Otherwise, I'm even more shocked wildchild'd go to a gym than me.
                      Neat that yours has an adjunct pool too.

Any classes or are you on your own?

speakin' of pools, nice swimmin' Holly.

That's more than I've done in any of the past 13 years.

Fortunately, though I probably am one more than not, I've never been called a "jerk"

No particular reason but does anyone know what "baka" means?

Way on the recovery road, Wildchild.

However, when I told DW about your two mile walk and now five-mile bike, weights, etc. so that maybe DW doesn't have to wait until next Tuesday's debriefing on her own meniscus repair also performed last Friday and she might be able to start spending some more time in the kitchen, accumulating summer laundry, shopping, etc., she thought it's okay at your younger age but our respective three-quarter centuries warranted caution and not taking any chances. Fortunately, she loves fish as much as I do and there's still lots in the freezer from last fall that needs eating.

Twocat - very puzzling.

However, maybe use Wildchild's trail running

or something for what you tell other people.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Norm- you would have to show that you complained over and over that it was dangerously hot, and then they would still say that you assumed the risk.  You have a better chance if you get hurt on bad equipment that they mis-repaired or if someone mugs you while you are alone in the fitness room!

A trip and fall. I like it. I played soccer for a long time at a pretty high level so I could channel those flops. Now we’re getting somewhere. I will keep you all updated on my quest to end bad gyms in hotels.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

6.5 miles on the TM at the gym, then about 15 min of stretching and a bit of core. I rarely spend much time stretching so it felt good to really get some good stretches. I need to make that a habit. Meanwhile, all dogs were at the groomer, which they hate. Well, Annie doesn't hate anything. if she's getting attention, she's as happy as can be. After 4 days of camping and lying in dirt, they really needed a good scrub. they actually look like black labs now, instead of blackish-brown.

so Leslie has an obscure butt nerve. sounds about right. 

Tammy

5 @ 8:29

My "recovery" runs are just shorter, not much slower. My iliac crest (not ilium, I forgot anatomy class) was a bit sore again today so I decided to go for 5 instead of 10. This is one of those problems that could have many sources; iliotibial band being one of them, but that usual shows up at the knee, weak core muscles, strained gluteus medius, or extra strain on all of that system because of leg imbalance, which I think is the case because it seems to be worse when I notice my achilles of opposite leg to be more painful.

twocat; too bad you can't get everything done at the same time. Like having your oil changed, car washed, and tires rotated on the same visit instead of 3 separate ones. Remember that a lot of doctors only have experience with normal people who have gotten to a point where they have a hard time getting around and just want to be able to walk, and their recommendations and methods are designed for those people. Remind them you run and want to continue to run.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Hey Holly, hang in there.  You don't deserve to be treated like that. When I read it, I thought maybe if he said it with a wink and a smile it could be more of a love ya, and I'm on your side comment.  With MrStarr, I've learned to express myself in "I" statements and tell him how something he's done makes me feel.  I try to admit to my part, whether it's an attitude, or tone of voice.

Wow, lots of posts today and I missed a lot of them.  Carolyn, you are doing great in your recovery.  Can you still walk the dogs?  Our gyms have free memberships if you are on Medicare with Blue Cross.  Nice!

Erika, how was your trail run?  I didn't think you usually ran in the mornings.  I guess you are trying to build up for Equinox. That is a tough looking race. Two weeks ago I ran a 2 mile loop that had a huge elevation drop to the creek. I loved running down at 8min pace!  Up was another long walk.

On Tuesday I donated blood so took yesterday off. Does that tucker any of you out for a while like that? This morning I ran/walked the 2 1/2 mile park trail.  Since I didn't work until 8 I could run when it was light outside.  So beautiful to see the sunrise, I am blessed to live here.  And yes, I enjoy the dog days of August better then the frigid winters.  Tonight I did a 7 bike ride / run -- well walking mostly by garage sales in the neighborhood  .  I have had my Garmin 910XT  for four years and finally figured out and used the multi-sport option with transition times.  Maybe I'll add the swim portion soon.

Heading to the farmer's market in the morning.  We are making tacos for a meal at church on Monday. It is a 3 day project for our community in celebration of our 125th anniversary.  We are putting together backpacks for Crisis Pregnancy; Foster Children; New Beginnings for families in transition. The gym is filled with tables loaded with all of the donations.   I'm making the 30 pounds of taco meat tomorrow morning. I hope the hamburger is lean, I sure hate draining that greasy stuff.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Remind them you run and want to continue to run.

The PT asked me what my ultimate goal was I told him a shot at a 100 miler in a year or two.  Thankfully, he's a runner and understood the stupidity of that goal.  . . . . . Although, I've been saying that for a long time and it still hasn't happened. 

Should I take offense at what Tammy said?????  

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance