Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 1.31.18 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, goodbye January.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4 pre-work TM miles)
    Stumpy (4 snow flurry miles in 21° temps with windage)
    Quickadder (5.3 EZ miles at 5AM with DD in 40° temps under clear skies, full moon)
    Dave59 (4 morning miles in mid-20s temps with snowflakes, some identical)
    Holly (2.5 TM miles)
    Spacityrunner (2.5 pre-lunch neighborhood miles in 40° temps with wind & hills)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH with hills in 30s with wind chill)
    Tammy (4.6 lunchtime miles)
    Pfriese (7.1 windy interval miles at the park)
    Wildchild (7 sunset/moon rise trail miles after climbing)
    C-R (4 evening recover miles after a fun test)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 7 post-work miles)
    Twocat (10 TM miles)

Surly Bill (5.1 miles between kid pick-ups, and 3.75 after the last pick-up in temps in the low 70s)

Falconfixer (6X800 intervals with 400 recovery for 9.7 miles + teaching spin after work)

Tet (5 miles with moon peaking through cloud cover)

Tomwhite, love the DayGlow sign on the narcotics cabinet!

Sorry about the ongoing ear issues, Dave59.

If it’s OK with you, Fatozzig, I’ll just keep our cat who is content to sleep till after I get up.

Good luck with your ongoing quest for a diagnosis and recovery plan, Evanflein. I don’t see you doing nothing till that happens.

Happy Birthday to your DS, Holly, and to your twins, C-R!

Sorry about your face-planting friend, Deeze - not your fault! I hope you can get some coverage during your vacation so you can relax.

I went from thinking I might sleep in to planning on a short workout, to thinking maybe 4 miles, to thinking maybe some speed work to 6.6 RW fartlek miles under the Super Blue Moon in 18° temps with some gusty winds. I didn't need my headlamp to light the way, but it was handy to have to be seen by approaching vehicles.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Like Jay, 5 miles under that Super Blue—but, alas, not blood red—moon.

Two big fat opossums quickly scurried by right in front of me today.  I had to stop to let them through.  It looked like they had places to be and things to do.

((Erika)) hope it’s not a fracture.

21-year-old sons and 17-year-old twins.  Wow.

BTW, I’ve been taking notes on Dave’s posts.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I liked SteveP's comment, "What's a little head injury among friends?".

Enjoy the vacation Deez.  A month and a half until my vacation at the beach with the grandkids. Seems like an eternity away.

I delayed my morning run a little bit so I could be out during the lunar eclipse, but it was kind of hazy out and not much to see.  The whole lunar eclipse thing is exaggerated in my opinion. I stayed up half the night as a teenager to watch one of them and the moon barely changed during the whole time.

Any who, 4 miles for me. Slower than usual as I did some moon watching. Only once did I come close to walking off the road and into the ditch while looking up.

C-R

Morning.

Thanks for the update Jay and good workout.

Never mess with a critter in the dark Tramps. Well played on taking notes of notes.

I totally forgot about the moon. My miss. Perhaps it will be nice tonight got our group run. Glad you stayed between the lines Dave.

Got a quick 20 min indoor bike hill sprint workout. I really do enjoy these. Need to do more of them. Will be running with the club this evening for 6 or 7.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to work we go.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I beat Jay to it by a few minutes, but I'll add mine here.

Finally got myself outside!  3.5 miles done.  30 and mostly clear.  Still miss running in shorts in Florida and have to get used to my hills again.  Off to work.  Have a greta day, Masters!

2.3 miles on the treadmill after work. The news was pretty interesting.  Just before I left work our wonderful female Nashville mayor announced that she had an affair with her chief security detail.  I had met them both at a birthday party that the Mayor hosted for a mutual friend.  Both the Mayor and the police officer are married and took a lot of trips together.  She is apologetic and asking for forgiveness, and says no taxpayer funds were used or abused.  It's causing quite the stir, as you can imagine.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Only once did I come close to walking off the road and into the ditch while looking up.

That reminds of a few years ago . . . I was out predawn and 2 guys were on the opposite side of the road on the sidewalk running the opposite direction of me, one in front of the other.  The second one had on a hoody and was looking down when - WHAMMO!  He ran right into a road sign.  Wish I'd been taking a video.  Nearly knocked him over. the sign post was reverberating, his turned around and looked at his friend in total confusion.  All in all, it was only a few seconds, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Wogged 2.52 miles in 32 min this a.m. in chilly conditions while watching what I didn't know was a lunar eclipse.  The moon was just starting to turn white on the left edge when I had to change my direction, and by the time I got to where I could have watched it more, it had slipped down behind some houses.

Cats were better behaved last night.  Probably 'cause it was colder and no one wanted to be Chico'd (left outside) in the middle of the night.

Okay - LOTS of work to do.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...welp,

50-min x-bike

......get to PoolRun tomorow....

............say what you will, it beats the Hell out of riding that x-bike.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R - hard to believe the twins are 17 already.  I feel like I lost 5 years somehow...Happy Birthday!

4.6 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Planned running rest day for me today. Went to the gym for a 1 hour swim (2000 meters) this afternoon.

Paul

wildchild

Carolyn

We did an awesome 5 pitch climb up a big granite dome today! Plus a 1.5 mile hike with a climbing pack each way between camp and the base of the climb. I think that was plenty for today, so no run planned. I'm tired!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I liked SteveP's comment, "What's a little head injury among friends?"..

Me too. However, I think face plants are okay if:
                        1. - on a trail or pretending you’re on one,
                        and
                        2. - a goddess distraction and a good enough fall
                        to generate some degree of goddess sympathy.
                        Dave - with the moon being kind of a goddess,
                        I think you’re okay to fall under her spell
                        and fall while your’re under her spell.

ps - I didn't realize K/GK's were so far away.  Michigan?

Moon - I was up ard rarin’ to watch the lunar eclipse at 5:29 am but, though my interest had been piqued for a week for a peek at its peak peeking through the clouds like the view we got yesterday, heavy clouds did not relent so we’ll have to wait for the next one, . . . fortunately, less than a year from now on January 20, 2019. Yippee!  Growing up in rain country, it’s a treat just to see the moon let alone an eclipse, to say nothing of a super blue blood one. .

AquaFit - it has nothing to do with my new interest in fitness centers I’ve vowed off of for the last 41 year of running but with my new nemesis not showing up today, I had all of the nearly two dozen fitness goddesses (and instructress) bbbbball to myself, . . . until an other new guy showed up.  I almost told him about the AquaFit-for-Seniors Class I was going to right afterwards but there’s already three other guys parading around the pool with the fitness mermaids and we don’t need any more.
                        Exemption to the twoc. . ., I mean running rule no. 1 - should be back to pouring down rain again by tomorrow morning’s five-mile mute to my office that's fortunately in a building as required to be an exemption to running rule no. 1 to not run in the rain. Thanks again, TwoC.  However, if it’s as downpouring tomorrow as yesterday, I might be sorry for the exemption.  We’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

9 EZ @ 8:42

The super blue blood moon was more spectacular on paper than in person, but it was interesting to see it.

Two bits of bad news today; I went for my annual physical, and my Doctor informed me I was dying. I only have 30-40 years left, 50 tops. The other was that it was in the mid 70's when I went running, I had to take off my shirt, and discovered my tan is uneven.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spacityrunner

4.5 fabulous trail miles with the trail gang.  Rare 67f and strongish winds (12-15 mph) made for a fun outing tonight.  Now at work wondering what I shall have for dinner.  Oh the daily decisions I face 

Trails Rock!

Surly Bill I am pretty sure Falconfixer is one of those giving away national secrets via Strava. He just looks really suspicious. I mean he is supposed be fixing broken planes and it sure looks like a functional plane to me as his avatar.

deez4boyz I do hope you get out and give yourself a break from taking care of everyone else.

tetsujin209 there are various exemptions to Rule #1, but just wanting one is not among them! 

What a day I had! Up before 5am so that I could jump on the elliptical for an hour. Then drove to work (about 40 minutes). Next up 3 hours of classes. My tongue was not thrilled, but I made it to the end only spitting towards the audience a few times.  Tongue surgery plus teaching = bad idea. Then a lunch with the PhD students and associate dean. Back to the office. Meeting with the head of accounting to find out what was going on with a student investment fund that I was told was ready to go last summer! You should see me if full bad cat mode. It seems to have lit a fire where needed, however. Back to the office then down to a reception with the PhD students. That ended at 6:30 and I was set for the 45 minute drive home. I am beat! At least tomorrow I have nothing scheduled. That means I can finally get some work done. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, did get out and take another look at the super/blue/blood moon before work.....but decided not to run at that point.  Cold, but was more concerned about the possible black ice.  Did get out at lunch for a very nice 8.1 mile run at an 8:11 pace.  Did try and teach spin after work (on base Mondays and Wednesdays) but no students so got to head back to the apartment early.

Surly Bill, No, that wasn't me.  Luckily for me I haven't deployed since 2006....and I didn't have a Garmin then.  I can see the danger in that though (a friend sent me a link to the article).  With me, there would be different strategic indicator.  I'll say something like, see y'all in a few months! and go dark.  You couldn't tell where I am....but you'll be able to tell that I'm gone.

Have a great night everyone!