Masters Running

Monday, March 8 Almost-Spring Runs (Read 488 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, folks.  The nice thing about running is that it gives a positive spin on getting older – today I enter a new age group. 

Mariposai – a chocolate fountain?  Awesome!

Nono – way to rock that 21-miler!

Erika – snowblind?  Now you’re scaring me.  Be careful out there!

Eliz wrote:

I say "running" more euphemistically than usual, as my "running" pace was only a minute faster than my walking pace, but I moved through space under my own power for the first time in a month.

Today I did a 20-minute workout from 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels, followed by 67 push-ups and 2 miles on the TM @ 10:10.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The nice thing about running is that it gives a positive spin on getting older – today I enter a new age group. 

You mean to tell us you've been participating in the Master (40+) all these years and you just now turned 40? 

Good luck in the new AG!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I didn't want Holly to have to hang out here all by herself so I thought I would stop by.

5 easy recovery miles for me today after my first double digit (10.5) run of the year yesterday with DW. I so love when it is warm enough to wear shorts.

Also, bought a new bike on Friday and managed to get in 40 miles on the bike this weekend.

ETA Holly would that be the 25-29 AG?

Happy Monday all.

I ran Stu's 30K yesterday.This is my mini race report. It was a train wreck. As most of you know, I've battled an ankle injury and just got back on the road recently. Of course, as soon as I got back on the road I came down with a chest cold. But I wanted to go to Stu's and figured I'd just run real easy and just get some miles in. I ran with one of my running club friends  -she was keeping a nice 10:00 minute pace. At most of the mile markers, the race people were yelling out 10:05! 10:08! That's right where I wanted to be.

But from the start,  my stomach was bothering me. I thought I must have eaten/drank too much. I couldn't get comfortable. My ankle felt pretty good and I wasn't coughing from the cold. But my stomach wasn't happy. I walked through each water stop mixing gatorade and water. I had a Gu at mile 12. Then right around mile 13 I started to feel really lousy. I told my friend that I was struggling and that she should go on ahead.  I started coughing from the cold again. I made it to about mile 15 and the wheels fell off. I had to start walking. I'd jog a bit, walk some more and just trudged to the finish. I finished in 3:29:14. I actually ran the last 100 yards or so, telling myself, "Get in under 3:30."

My friend met me just before the finish to cheer me in and give me some water. I couldn't' even speak after the finish. Once inside, I couldn't eat anything, I was so nauseous. Tried some orange slices and Polar soda but had to race to a barrel to throw up. Nurse came over to check me out. But I started to feel a bit better and I managed to get half a bagel down and some water before heading home.

Anyway, I made it home but was then up and down all night with a stomach virus. So I'm not sure what to take out of my little adventure. Most people run Stu's 30K as a confidence booster before Boston. I guess if I could get through one of the hilliest courses anywhere with a cold and a stomach flu and not end up hospitalized, well, I don't know, I guess I did something yesterday.

Here's the elevation profile if you're not familiar with Stu's.

Tramps

Some great long runs yesterday. 

Kimme--yeah, I know (I was kidding).  I'm back at National this year, too.

Erika--that's pretty wild about the snowblindness.  Sunglasses for sure.

Ouch, George.  That sounds like a tough one.  There are so many anomalies here--the cold, the course, etc--I don't think you can make too much out of any of this.  Rest up and get over that cold.

Easy 5-mile trail run this morning.  Nearly all of the snow is gone after a stretch of very nice weather.  Hard to believe I was skiing this route a month ago.  Lots of downed trees from the storms, so it was slow going.  The great blue herons are back for the year so I stopped to watch a couple dozen of them making a racket in their treetop nests.  Awesome.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome to the group Kimmie.

Happy Birthday dear Holly!

Well, I am feeling a bit better, but not 100% yet.   Still have something going on in my chest and headaches are frequent still.   Of course the stupid in me had me out running both Saturday and Sunday.   Saturday was 4 slow miles and yesterday was 5 even slower miles.    I know I probably should have just waited, but I feel my fitness just dwindling away - and yesterday just proved that.    I'd have been smarter to just run 2 or 3 and call it good but with a race coming up with Batman, I was trying to find my own superperson strengths to no avail.

DH is still not feeling 100% after a full week of this illness.   After a while it gets just plain annoying. 

2 weeks and 3 days until puppies!!!  Big grin  I gave momma a bath last night and she is so round and cute.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. your B-Day present will be all the AG placements!

George... just one of those days. Go figure?

Dg.. I hope the cold recovery is fast.

Nice thing about a virtual group... can't catch the colds Smile

4 miles recovery at 9:50 pace (AHR 144) and nothing was sore after yesterday's 20... yipee.

(first 2 with Tory and Sadie at 10:26 then 2 mi at 9:13 with some strides to loosen the legs)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I ran 0 miles this morning, but did it at infinite pace. Go ahead, try to prove me wrong.  Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good afternoon, gang!

Holly - nice kickoff, birthday girl!

Eliz - happy to have you back and posting again - you've certainly been busy since you've been gone.  We missed you!

Mary - sorry to hear you've been sick - glad you are feeling better.  Almost puppy time!!

Craneium - what kind of bike did you get?? Pictures???

George - so sorry about the race, but you did good to finish under the circumstances.  Hope you are feeling better.

Carolyn - wow, what a workout you had on Saturday - how are you feeling??  The foot did fine on Saturday.  I wrecked it yesterday.. It was the first time in ages that Jesse and I could play agility in our yard, and I forgot to be careful until I felt the pain.  That's what I get for running in Muck boots. 

5.4 miles on the TM this morning - alternating 5 min of incline walking with 5 minutes of easy jogging.  60 minutes of core and upper body weights for lunch.  Time for a nap...........

DH and I watched The Hurt Locker last night. It wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention for 2 hours.   I would have voted for Avatar or Precious for Best Picture Oscar. 

Can't believe that Daylight Savings time kicks in this weekend.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Can't believe that Daylight Savings time kicks in this weekend.

It does?, OMG that is the best news I've heard all week!

Will run a little 2 or 3 finite miles later.  I may actually have to put tights on......noooooooo.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

Happy Holly Day Everyone,

Welcome to our group Kimmie. With a new, young and speedy, woman in the group, I am surprised we have not had a Ribs sighting. Watch out for that guy, Kimmie.

3 mile recovery run for me today @10:17 pace. 67 push-ups and abs.

Yesterday, while I was out doing my 18 mile run, I hear someone at a gas station yell out, "hey old man is that as fast as you can run." When I turned to see who it was, it turned out to be my oldest and dearest friend that I have known since HS. He and his wife (also a friend from HS), were here for the day to celebrate her mother's 84th birthday. I ended up spending the day with them. Since I was busy all day, I did not get to post my run; 18 miles in 3 hrs right on the button (10 min/mi pace).

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Craneium - what kind of bike did you get?? Pictures???

My new ride:

evanflein

I'm hearing a lot about Girl Scout Cookies these days... Our local delivery (to our building at work) hasn't happened yet, but expecting it next week probably. Here's some information on these treacherous treats for anyone who is so inclined... http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/surviving-girl-scout-cookie-season

Howdy, folks -

Happy Bday, Holly-girl!

George - I think the fact you got through a 30k with the stomach flu is a testament to your fortitude.

Sue - I saw "Precious" on Friday.  Tough movie to watch.  I sure am glad Monique won for supporting actress.  What an absolutely amazing performance.

Erika - I  know that if you rub shaving cream on a mirror (and, of course, wipe it off), it helps keep the mirror from fogging over.  Might work on sunglasses.

Rest day for me.  Except for being exceptionally hungry ever since I got up and slightly sore quads, I don't feel too bad.  Although, The Hub got home from his trip around midnight last night, and thus began a terrible night of sleep for me.  I slept great while he was gone, so this just confirms if my mind that he's the reason I'm such a lousy sleeper.  (Couldn't possibly be because I was sprawled across our king-size bed the whole time he was gone and, thus, could get away from bed-hogging cats. )

Have a good one ~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

yikes George - sounds like you had that stomach bug going around here..........give yourself a lot of credit for finishing the 3-k and rest up!

today cross-training - 90 minutes Bikram yoga, swim training class

Happy  Holly's birthday friends!!

denise