Masters Running

Glad that it's FRIDAY, 11.22.19 (Read 40 times)

evanflein

On running/working out late or early: I am so not a morning person. Never have been. And to get to work at 8 I need to be up at 6 anyway so there's no way in hell I'm getting up earlier. Also, mornings are the darkest, coldest time of the day for much of the year (ok, at least half) and why would I go out on unplowed snowy hilly roads in the dark to possibly meet a moose, when I can go later in the day when the sun is out and the path is plowed? Makes no sense to me. Also, when I do run later (i.e., dark), I can still have the plowed paths by work and my headlight, with minimal chance of meeting moose. So I run during the day or the evening, and thank the good lord I have a treadmill handy. And yes, some treadmill miles are very good miles.

That being said, I can see that when I retire I'll have a whole lot of variety in when I choose to run, and morning runs in the summer (ok, we're talking maybe 9 a.m. here, not 5) are beautiful most days.

BTY, I'm still shaking my had at your 20 miles in November for swimming. And yeah, no talking while swimming. Fish Fry? Nothing like that here that I'm aware of, but either of your options sound good. Joe's? Not so much.

Holly, our TP roll is dead center in front of you in both our bathrooms. And yeah, having my right hand in a splint or cast this summer really shed a new light on a normally mundane task.

I don't believe Marj is ever gumpy. But I do recall some times when I apparently was a little grouchy or tightly wound when my kids would ask if I needed to go for a run.

Warm today! Making up for that cold wind yesterday that made my 5.something miles pretty miserable in the headwind. Today it's in the low 30's and I just hope we don't get freezing rain which will make everything a total mess. So other than the turkey out on the deck getting a little warmer than I'd planned for this point in the week, it's a nice break from the colder temps. I'll head out around noon and get a few miles in, then stop in at the end of our work potluck and see if there's any leftovers. I apparently didn't plan lunch very well today...

definitely favor mid-morning work-outs

========

naturally

this morning I didn't get one

...40-min Elliptical......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

My daughter claims the pie takes 10 hours to prepare.  We started at 8 last night and are only to step #2.  Our other daughter is bringing sugar cookies just in case her sister screws up the pie.

10 hrs?? Dang . . . Smart move by the sister. 

Holly - You'll like the bundt pan.  It makes the cake look fancy.  Once you have all the batter in it, jiggle it and kinda smack the bottom it against the counter top a bit to get the batter to settle and even up.  Be sure to grease and flour well.

It took me a minute to see it, too. 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I'm generally the designated pie baker in our family because I seem to have a knack for real good pie crust, but have never heard of any kind of pie that takes 10 hrs to make! what kind of pie is this??

I would buy a bundt pan Holly.  I may not use mine often, but when I do, I really like having that cake in that pretty bundt ring shape.  I've used it to make monkey bread before too. 

busy day today - court in morning, lunch with my mom and then a bit of shopping for a C'mas gift for my future SIL.  Now I'm actually supposed to be working but kinda hard to motivate myself to do anything when we close in a couple hrs. I think DH and I may go see Ford v. Ferrari tonight.  Tomorrow morning I'm getting up at 0 dark thirty to head to Ashland for a 3 hr trail run with my trail sisters. Not sure what DH has planned for me after that but I kinda wanna be home to watch the OSU vs WSU game at 6 pm. It's a pretty big deal of a game with each team only one win away from being bowl eligible.

Tammy

dnaff

I'm generally the designated pie baker in our family because I seem to have a knack for real good pie crust, but have never heard of any kind of pie that takes 10 hrs to make! what kind of pie is this??

I have never made a pie crust from scratch.   I try and fail and throw them out the back door in a fit of anger.  So my daughter is here to show me up and make the  most complicated apple pie in history.

The crust has vinegar and a beaten egg and cake flour in it.  The dough has to chill 4 hours.  Then you roll it out and it has to chill another couple hours.  Then we had to gossip forever while we peeled and slice apples.  After that it requires home made caramel sauce.  Butter, cream, sugar, 30 minutes of slow cooking.  And thatt goes in a stand mixer for a while.  Then  poured over the apples.  (oh wait, we had to grind cardamom seeds at some point)  And no, we can't be done yet as she has to make an egg wash and sprinkle turbinado sugar on it.  It's been out of the oven 15 minutes but still needs to cool an hour.  It better be good.

TammyinGP

ok, well that does sound pretty amazing!  everybody better eat real slow and savor every bite!  I did make a caramel apple pie one year and it was very good also!
              I have made that kind of pie crust before, with the vinegar, although I prefer one made with lard. And yes, chilling dough is also key in a good crust. 
              one of the pies I'm making is an apple-cranberry, and while I did grow my own apples (so does that mean my pie actually took about 6 mos to make?), I did not grow my own cranberries, but I will zest my own lemon that I picked from my lemon bush. 
              The other pie is a pumpkin but it'll be more traditional. A neighbor gave me a couple of his sugar pumpkins so last month I baked those down, scooped out the flesh, puree'd and froze, so that'll be my filling.

I will have a lot of running to do next week.

Tammy

Your pie activities have me reeling.  The bundt cake is about as extensive as I get.  I like making cookies.  They're generally uncomplicated. 

dnaff - Post a pic of that pie!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

We saw ford vs Ferrari- it was a good story! Long time to sit though. We are a little into the endurance racing in my house as the H’s step mom’s brother drove for Porsche for a long time (Hurley Haywood if anyone is into that). Quite the life (compared to us mundane office folks 😊)

Anne

mrrun

my DD & DIL and Henry's DS make apple pies from scratch - I buy them from costco, cut into 4 pieces and freeze!

I'm fine with quick breads.....

anneb snuck in with movie review while i was enjoying Henrun's martooni!

Marathon Maniac #957

The crust has vinegar and a beaten egg and cake flour in it.  The dough has to chill 4 hours.  Then you roll it out and it has to chill another couple hours.  Then we had to gossip forever while we peeled and slice apples.  After that it requires home made caramel sauce.  Butter, cream, sugar, 30 minutes of slow cooking.  And thatt goes in a stand mixer for a while.  Then  poured over the apples.  (oh wait, we had to grind cardamom seeds at some point)  And no, we can't be done yet as she has to make an egg wash and sprinkle turbinado sugar on it.  It's been out of the oven 15 minutes but still needs to cool an hour.  It better be good.

Okay, this is WAY too much work for me.   I am far too busy to spend 10 hours making a pie.  BUT, would be happy to try a small slice.  Frankly I think my butt got bigger just reading about it.

Leslie - the link to the blueberry cream cheese pound cake also had several links to other recipes, which I printed and will try, including a Banana Pudding With Salted Caramel Sauce that I will make for Thanksgiving.  I LOVE banana pudding, and salted caramel sauce sounds like an awesome addition.  I will tell you how it turns out.

We have not watched a movie in the theater in a long time.  I find my attention span or ability to sit for 2-3 hours without a break has diminished over the years.  Plus, with a 75-inch TV and a sectional sofa that fits the 3 dogs too, I would much rather wait for the DVD and be able to take bathroom and snack breaks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I agree, too much fussing around for that pie. I'm not a big pie fan anyway. But cookies... I lurves me some cookies. And DH does the baking in our house.

We like going to the movies. Feels like a nice date night where we can stop off and have a glass of wine and a snack on our way home. We watched Avengers-Endgame in the theater and it was great. Something about that big ol' screen and surround sound that just really adds to it. We watch a lot of movies on TV, too, but for those big movies with lots of action and effects, I still think nothing beats the big screen.

Leslie, that horse is pretty amazing. I saw it right away! And DS1 and his DW have a cat that is mostly white with a black pattern that looks like a squirrel. So, DH, much to DIL's dismay, calls the cat Squirrel. 

Got out for 5.2 miles in 30° temps and somewhat slippery snowpack on the path, including two trips up Miller Hill so I'm calling this a hill run. I like getting lots of color on my running log graph!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How much of this is psychological??  How much is physical??  I don't know; likely some of both but I don't know the ratio.    I sure won't do this in the summer time.   But, for this winter, I'll stay with it.

, . .

DW is super, super supportive, for which I am so grateful. It might move supper for the two of us back by 15 minutes or so but she's totally cool with it.

Joe - it will be interesting to see how it plays into your next marathon. When will that be?

However, not sure if I've ever heard of anything either psychological or physical that's caused such a dramatic change in running habits so it might be neither and just something out of the Twilight Zone. I used to be able to run, ski, cycle, etc. anytime I wanted to but, with DW sleeping in later, morning is most convenient.

And, Tet, you are hereby crowned a complete "Stair Nerd" with all the rights, privileges and responsibilities thereunto appertaining.

Joe - I am truly humbled and honored.

thank you.

(Hurley Haywood if anyone is into that).

Not sure but, if anyone is, it would probably be Roch, albeit on two wheels.

I have never heard of anything Thanksgiving the week before Thanksgiving, especially T-giving lunches, etc. a full week early.  My theory is that, with thet this year's fourth Thursday of November being on the latest possible date for the feasting and Christmas starting in early November nowadaysw, an additional week is probably necessary to avoid Thanksgiving being even more consumed up by Christmas. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

In Tet's honor, I ran stairs today!  Down and up 15 floors at University of Colorado Hospital (32 stairs per floor) while I was visiting DH today.   He looked much better today, and we think he'll be able to come home tomorrow.

I've always been a lunchtime or afternoon runner.  I'm with Erika - not a morning person, and why run when it's dark and cold when you can run in the sunshine? I guess that's easier if you live where it doesn't get hot in the summer.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

that's good to hear wildchild! That recovery stuff is a PIA.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Tet, thanks.   My next marathon is an ultra, a trail 50K in NE Indiana on December 28.   Then several marathons through the winter, targeting a good marathon on April 4.

So glad you hubby comes home tomorrow, Wild!!

Vinegar is an essential ingredient for a flaky pie crust.

'Night all!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.