Masters Running

nerdy thursday 11/07/19 - are you a nerd? (Read 39 times)

Thanks, all.  I'm happy for her.  The divorce 2 years ago was rough.  I thought I had been a good in-law, but I think this round will be easier!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Is this a sign? I was volunteering at the library today, where I list high-value donated books on Amazon. I'm in the room where they also have the shelves for our quarterly used book sale. Today, I thought I was alone in the room when I heard a loud "crash" like someone dropped a stack of books, so I assumed that someone was busy shelving the recent donations. And as I walked over past a row of shelves, I saw some motion on the other side of the shelf, again figured it was someone there, but it was again followed by the sound of books falling. When I went around the corner there was nobody there and in the group of books that had fallen (been pushed?) off the shelf, this one was laying there facing up right at me:

http://wdgordon.com/images/alaska.jpg

The reason this is really weird is that just this week we finalized our arrangements for our fly-and-drive trip to Alaska next summer! Woo-oo-oo.

So I had no choice but to bring the book home so I can read through some of it and get thoroughly prepped. Other than that, nothing else normal or paranormal to report today.  

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dnaff

I'm sorry that some of you are having ugly weather.  Sunny and 20 here which is lovely if you are dressed for it.

My husband and I went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert last night and I woke up with a case of vertigo.  I'm sure it was the vibration from the sound system at the concert that started it.  Sometimes the treadmill will do it to me too.  Anyway...kind of a rough morning with the world tilting away under my feet.   I got out for a 40 minute power walk at noon, well bundled, and I feel a ton better.

Also, since you asked, proud Nerd here.

...BTY//.........Pickles told me to ask her Dad before we got Married

he said ''I wish you wouldn't''

I said ''you realize I'm just asking you to be Polite''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Is this a sign?

The reason this is really weird is that just this week we finalized our arrangements for our fly-and-drive trip to Alaska next summer! Woo-oo-oo.

So I had no choice but to bring the book home so I can read through some of it and get thoroughly prepped. Other than that, nothing else normal or paranormal to report today.  

Well how cool is that?? Claus-M. Naske was a good family friend of ours, and one of our history faculty members at the Fairbanks campus for many years. He died a few years ago, but his wife Dinah is still here. And I'd love to know more about your plans! Are you coming up to Fairbanks? When Starr did a few years ago, they rented a motor home in Anchorage and drove all over, including up here so we got to hang out a bit.

Steve, I'm sure we'd all be very disappointed if Grampy left that thing alone.

Degos Disease? Never heard of it, but good luck with that, BTY. Sounds like you're doing pretty good on your goal. 1.1 miles of swimming a day?? Wow...

Congrats to your daughter, KSA. Sometimes you've gotta get through the weeds and crap to find a good one. Smile

Grits. Nope, can't say I'm a fan, but I think I've only had them once years ago. Wasn't impressed.

Yikes, RCG. Glad all seems ok. I'm always scared of hitting moose. Before we get snow, it's so dark on some roads it's just scary. The snow reflects light so at least you have a chance of seeing them.

Snow, snow, snow, snow... we got a lot of snow out there! I brought my running stuff but not sure there's been any plows out anywhere. The roads are a mess. Given the way I'm in sort of a running slump these days, not sure if I'll make it out or not. And don't really care that much...

Ryan Spitz ran 330 miles in 5 days on trails from Arcata, CA, in Humboldt County to Shasta County.  He started 15 min from where I live in Eureka.  A large group of local runners met up with him at the start to get him going.  I've only watched about 10 min of this, but am looking forward to watching the whole thing.  In this day and age of ultra running taking a whole new turn (200+ milers), this could put our little area on the map.  California Untamed.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Snow, snow, snow, snow... we got a lot of snow out there! I brought my running stuff but not sure there's been any plows out anywhere. The roads are a mess. 

Yuck, bummer - I hate that you have to deal with so much of that stuff and so (relatively) early in the season.  Bleck.  I hate winter.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks, Tet.

RCG--ouch. Glad the deer and car are okay.

I'm with Jay about not understanding the whole dork/nerd definition. Not sure what that says about my nerd/dorkiness.

KSA--congrats to your daughter. A ring in a casket, eh? Seems kind of mixed messages there.

Dave--I remember reading about that Waffle House index. Pretty funny.

Holly--I bet you'll be glad to be moving again. Good for you.
                  HopesMom--deer flipping you off is a new one! How do they do that with hooves?

BTY--hope the news stays good on the health front.

Doug--that's funny. And Erika even knew the author! I'd say omens abound.

Grits is one of those things that can vary so widely that you can't have them just once or twice to have an informed opinion. That's my opinion. Usually I'm disappointed but there have been a few times when they were really good.

It's officially the beginning of winter around here. Not because of the weather exactly but because I spent the day mowing and mulching leaves, finishing the firewood prep, and cleaning up and winterizing the riding mower. Once the mower's up, I consider it winter. Finished just in time as cold rain started.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!

I've been MIA for a while, but  thought I'd stop in and say hi.

BTY and KSA, congrats on your kids getting engaged!

Erika, I hear you about the snow.  We got a lot in October - more than usual.  At least it's pretty nice out this week!

Dave, where are you moving to?

I'm recovering from a self-diagnosed tibial stress fracture.  It started bothering me after my 2nd ultra in 3 weeks, back in September.  I took it easy and it seemed okay, but it really felt painful after an 8 mile trail race in October, so I backed off.  Unfortunately, I had planned to go to the Grand Canyon with 3 girlfriends to run rim to rim to rim on November 1st, but with my leg feeling sore, decided that was a dumb idea.  I went on the trip anyway, since I really needed a girls weekend, but I just hiked down to Phantom Ranch and back while they ran the whole thing.   (Yeah, my idea of an easy day is to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back!)

Today I ran/walked 4 miles, just running 30 seconds every 5 minutes.  Hope it feels okay tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

And I'd love to know more about your plans! Are you coming up to Fairbanks? When Starr did a few years ago, they rented a motor home in Anchorage and drove all over, including up here so we got to hang out a bit.

Erika, you should know that I could hardly plan a DIY trip to Alaska and not include a couple days in Fairbanks!  I'll send you an email shortly and tell you more about it. And Claus being a family friend of yours makes this whole incident even spookier... 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe618

Quick fly by here, a la MikeE, though I'll never be that fast...

Got back from my quick trip to Florida just after midnight last night.   Good trip and two funny travel stories I'll tell you later.

KSA, hearty congratulations to your daughter!!   Quite a journey the last two years for her...happy this is so nice.

Wildchild, we miss you!  Thanks for popping in...I was genuinely interested in your R2R2R...sorry you couldn't do it. 

Very busy day at work, managed 4.2 miles in the daylight after work.   Forgot to take the spreadsheet-defined top layer, though, and the windy 37F was super chilly on my mere two LS tech shirted body.   But got in the final run before the marathon on Saturday morning.

Enjoy your Thursday evening...more tomorrow!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

If you have to be a nerd to be a part of this group, then I want to be a nerd.

I went 4 miles with Ryan and his dog.  Blaze does a whole lot better with Ryan than with me.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, rain rolling through the area now.  Supposed to get cooler behind it, but that's a relative term of course!

RunnerKSA, congrats to DD!

BTY, good luck.  As someone who has served for a couple of days....or three decades plus; it does take a special couple to make it work.  Can only speak for Air Force deployments (tend to be shorter than the Army's...for good reasons on both sides) so the individuals have to be able to get along alone.  DW and I are coming up on 30 years and on balance I'd say the bulk of the sacrifices have been hers and the boys (yes, I'll include DS#1 in that statement).

Steve, will be interested in hearing how the egg thing ends up!

Got up early and got in 7+ miles before needing to shower/get to work.  Taught spin after work.

Nerd, Geek....2 sides of the same coin.  I may be one of the "cooler" nerds out there though, most of that work-related.  Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering.  Joke in school was:  It takes a double E to spell "geek"...and beer!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - nobody to wake up as the bulk of the crunchies were in the park along the bike/pedestrian path. Do you ever see neighbors peerin' out the w when you go by morning-in-and-morning-out. Any ever come out and say, "what in the world are you doing, Jay?," . . . I mean, "have a great day jay!"  Do you ever go back and got back to sleep?  When/why/how did your j-o'clocks start? My guess: probably too busy with meetings, etc. when everyone else is awake, etc .

Wildchild - thanks for the update.

I'm with Joe on R2R2R interest.

What's your next ordeal, . . I mean ultra fun run.

If you have to be a nerd to be a part of this group, then I want to be a nerd.

Nice try, Mike but you'll have to try a lot harder than that to be a real nerd like those of us who have spent our lifetimes accumulating the necessary qualifications.

Doug - excellent!

If any of your Alaska legs include a cruise through the Inside Passage that usually gives 12-16 hours days in the ports along the way, the co-author's son was a best work partner and x-c skiing friend before I moved down to Seattle as well as, with his DW, runners who, if you have a couple of hours, or, since it won't be dark, even one hour is okay, I'm sure would be happy to get youb up into the alpines on one of the half-dozen convenient local trails I still know by heart.

So, my friend Aneta is RDing a 24/12/8 hour endurance run on 4/8/20.  Dare I sign up?  I would be interested in the 12-hour option.  Just hoping I can be recovered and ramped up and uninjured by then.

The good news - my PCP gave me the go ahead to start some gentle walk-running - nothing too strenuous, but it is a start.

yes,  yes, yes!

gentle walk-running is preferred, if not, perfect for time trail race events.

It's almost what I do too except gentle walk-walk-walk-running-walk-walk-walk

Ask Wildchild.

My next 12-hour is April too.

I can hardly wait.

Pickles didn't like me eating eggs every day 

Please thank her for us.

Took advantage of the seventh straight day of sunshine in November to follow-up a morning crossing of the second-longest floating bridge in world to go out-of-my-way to ride to the other side of town to cross the longest floating bridge in the world on the way back.  Can hardly wait to do it again tomorrow.

j-o'clock view on foot vs. six hours later on bike

.Image may contain: night, sky, outdoor and water...Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor, nature and water

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I got my nerd on with the musical again tonight. Runs through the weekend, maybe I'll get a chance to do the same.

A few shots

(spoiler: everyone has aids, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prhi3_Nvt3U Wink

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, night, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and sitting

Image may contain: one or more people, night and indoor

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying