Masters Running

Thursdaily, 5.9.24 (Read 35 times)

anneb

On our firm website, all are in suits/blazers (men in ties too). But the reality is, I never wear a suit. Most of the guys are in golf shirts in the summer, and sweaters/quarter zips (borderline athletic - but nicer I guess) when its cooler. We still don't technically allow jeans (except on Fridays) but its pretty easy to be casual/comfy and still look nice enough 

Anne

Leslie - or, better yet, start wearing nothing on a regular basis when you're not running.

I'm guessing this would get me arrested.   Although years ago when Karen and I and our coach at the time were running in the Arcata Community Forest, we were hiking a climb and suddenly around the corner a young man and woman came running down on us and lo and behold she was completely topless.  All 3 of us were a bit speechless, especially our coach, Bill, but all I could think with her boobs bouncing around was, "Doesn't that hurt???"

The photo session was fun.  And Ruby Beans, the office dog, was included.  Lots of good natured ribbing and laughing.  It'll be fun to see how all the photos turn out.  Us ladies told the photographer to not be shy with the photoshopping. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I wore a suit and tie every day of my working life. So did my state Labor Dept dad. Men teachers used to too.

From what I see on TV and other places, ties are gradually disappearing. Men, except in strict formal situations, will wear suits with dress shirts and jackets, but with the top shirt button open and no tie. I wore suits with ties in the 80s, then went to wearing them only in "customer contact situations" in the 90s, then went fully "office casual" in the 2000s.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

When I was a young lawyer it was suits and button down blouses with those little ties.  No slacks at all.  In 1992 or so slacks began to be permitted.  Still blazers, pant suits etc.  Casual Fridays started in about 1998 or something.  My last two companies had a casual culture (a building products company and then Tractor) but we didn't go to blue jeans anytime until just before COVID hit.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

My vote is for yoga pants!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

4.75M at the new spot this morning. Running in the heat and humidity is getting easier.

regarding ties; they are an obsolete type of clothing that today does nothing except provide antiquated decoration. It's kind of shocking that they are still "required" by some establishments and in some professions. Why not also require powdered wigs? Corsets and bloomers? Hardly any of the wealthy people I know wear ties, and only a few wear shirts with collars and buttons. All of the multimillionaire loggers I know just wear clean work clothes, and might have a polo shirt and khakis when the grease stained but clean work clothes aren't appropriate. Like when their wife tells them they can't wear their work clothes to dinner or on a trip. Kind of the same deal for the tech millionaires I know; t-shirts 99% of the time. I think women are more aware of the nuances than men, in general. But I don't see women wearing a ball gown to go work in an office, either. Why do men have to look like they're going to a wedding or funeral when they go to work?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

My vote is for yoga pants!

HaHa - I love wearing leggings all the time, but my dh hates them!! It's so funny because he could usually care less about clothes, but he just can't stand seeing women in exercise clothes out in every day life - oh well, too bad for him!! 

KSA - glad you are in a safe zone

Jay - safe travels - 7 hours is a lot of driving

Steve - I love all kinds of mushrooms and I really LOVE the necklace your dw is wearing in yesterday's pic!!

Worked a 16 hour shift yesterday, left the hospital around 11:15pm, walked the .8 back to my car and there was still traffic getting out of Boston because of road work - just never ends!!

Slept in this morning, went to church and prayer group - we lost a dear friend from church who used to be in our Thursday morning group. So sad, but we try to find comfort in her suffering is over and she passed on Ascension Thursday.

Ran 4.6 miles - 1 mile easy, 3 miles pick-up pace, .6 easy then walked another .5 miles to give me 5.1 for the day.

Had my hairs cut and a Keratin express treatment which makes it straighter and smoother for about a month I guess - we'll see

Best part of the day was having dinner out with our youngest son - he wanted to take us out for Mother's Day and since I'm working all weekend we decided to start the celebration early tonight. He is a gem, the only downside was his wife already had plans so had to miss out.

Happy Thursday!! Sleep well friends and like Matt Wilpers says - Train hard, train smart and always have fun!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

From what I see on TV and other places, ties are gradually disappearing. 

Doug - it's strange watching all the PI's and police not only in suit and ties on the oldies on our rabbit ears over-the-air TV from Dragnet to Hawaii 50 (in Hawaii, no less) and even the disheveled Columbo but also wearing dress shoes in their runs after the criminals.

Confession: I was hoping to get down tomorrow to the lakeside park I like for the first time since last September when it gets up into the seventies as a prelude for the weekend eighties when, all-of-a-sudden, the temp I was checking on my cell phone jumped up from 69F to the magic (for around here) 70F mark so I jumped the gun and had a very successful late afternoon jaunt down to the lake but, at 43F, I let others do the swimming, oddly enough, all women, no men in the water yet, at all.

Surly - Seattle downtown is still mostly homeless and entire blocks of boarded up restaurants, haberdasheries, etc. so we were surprised to see a sharp suit-and-tie guy out for over the lunch hour for the first time since we moved to the area last summer the other day when there used to be hundreds of businessmen and women out for business lunches, etc., . . . but his plastic badge was a giveaway:

Westin Hotel

. concierge

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm all for casual, having spent most of my early days working in a research lab in T-shirt and jeans.

I was surprised that in 2022 when I joined my current company they had a "business casual" policy. Which meant no jeans. But then the CEO was there and walking around in jeans. After that, I never wore "slacks" as you call them, again, unless I really wanted to.

I recall my eldest brother pushing the envelop in the 1980s at his IBM job by refusing to wear a tie. He still had to wear a dress shirt and "slacks". His complaint was he was an in-the-weeds programmer who never interacted with clients, so why wear a tie?

If we go back far enough on dress codes, we come across my middle school years where we had to, as girls, wear "jumpers" (or gym rompers) for gym class. A one-piece (with a zipper) badly designed blue cotton thing with the shorts area looking like bloomies. The most awful article of clothing every designed. Kind of looked like ladies swimwear from the 1920s. I can't find a picture to describe this thing. The next year, when I was in Grade 8, we could finally just wear a T-shirt and shorts, like the boys had worn for years. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

I did the suit and tie schtick for years while I was in the hotel gig. 

I got nothing.

SteveP

SteveP

Steve - if only you lived close enough for me to bring my mushrooms to to confirm which ones will kill me and which ones will not....

I’m far from any kind of expert.  Check your local conservation department for ID.

SteveP

moebo

If we go back far enough on dress codes, we come across my middle school years where we had to, as girls, wear "jumpers" (or gym rompers) for gym class. A one-piece (with a zipper) badly designed blue cotton thing with the shorts area looking like bloomies. The most awful article of clothing every designed. Kind of looked like ladies swimwear from the 1920s. I can't find a picture to describe this thing. The next year, when I was in Grade 8, we could finally just wear a T-shirt and shorts, like the boys had worn for years. 

gymsuit

Enke, this is what I wore all through high school. We called them gymsuits. The worst!

I got in 4.5 miles yesterday (Thursday).

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - you wearing a suit and tie would be like me wearing running shoes.

Tennis shoes and jeans were verboten from K-12 but, living in rain country, jeans got soaking wet, heavy and cold and I've never worn them at all in my entire life and running shoes only four pairs from 1977-1990 when I figured out not even running shoes could make me fast.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

1800 yard swim last night with the main set being a single rep 500 yard freestyle.  I was aiming for a 1:30/100 pace and fell one second short of nailing it at 7:31.  I'll take it.  It was generally an easy swim, at least that rep.  Some of the warmup drills were harder but not hard.

Strength training was a "push" workout and I lowered my weights but not enough to get the reps I wanted without going to failure.  I have to overcome a mindset from when I worked in a fitness center where the philosophy was to always work to failure on every exercise.

When I started working in the agency I currently work for, 27 years ago, I was hired as a secretary, but the title was clerk.  I wore a suit and tie every day for the first few years I was there.  At some point in time we went to a less formal dress code but men were supposed to wear ties still.  Then we went to business casual and I had to go out and buy appropriate shirts - it seemed like every time our dress code changed I was behind for a while because I didn't have the money, with four young children, to buy a new wardrobe. So I was usually overdressed.   Today it's khakis and a polo shirt when in the office and pajamas and a sweatshirt most of the time when working from home.  Now I can afford to get with the program but there doesn't appear to be a program.  No jeans I guess.  In travel mode, since I'm in the construction industry, we wear jeans and appropriate footwear.  I do see some of the people of the adminosphere dressing formally but haven't seen a suit and tie on any of my co-workers on my floor since .... maybe 2010?  I actually prefer the more formal look of a blazer and tie, but I think I'm in the very tiny minority there.  It's how I choose to dress for church, but even DW says I shouldn't get so dressed up.  Meh.

lamerunner2

gymsuit

Enke, this is what I wore all through high school. We called them gymsuits. The worst!

I got in 4.5 miles yesterday (Thursday).

Oh lord, I remember those foolish gymsuits!  The only good thing was they were egalitarian. No one worried about their designer shorts or whatnot. And yes, legal culture/dress has grown far more casual. State government was always a little more casual, but since Covid and the advent of remote meetings, getting dressed up is kind of rare. 

6 mile rail trail run yesterday, and a 40 minute yoga. About an hour on Peloton this morning, most of which was a stiff 45 minute climb.