Masters Running

2018 Starter Daily, 1.1.18 (Read 47 times)

spacityrunner

New friends are cool!

Frosty here...waited for it to warm up to 23f...didn't even look at the feels like.  Headed for the cooper nature preserve for an easy (pace, that trail surface is wicked!!) 3.1 miles that is shielded from the wind.  It was still cold!!!  Glad I still have all my winter running gear from when I was living in DC   Didn't ever think I would need it in Southern Arkansas for sure!

Trails Rock!

pfriese

Happy New Year 2018 everyone.

6 miles on the treadmill for me this morning. I just couldn't talk myself into going out & running in 5o temps & a 15-20mph breeze.

Paul

Hi Friends!!  Finished off the DGAFAOTH challenge today with another 1.8 mile treadmdmill run (choose 1.8 for 2018)

Had a friend join me at the gym as a guest which made it way more fun!! Also did 10 min warmup on the AMT then some planks.

We went out for breakfast afterward for a good catch-up as she has been in Spain the last 2 weeks visiting her daughter who lives there.

I certainly hope 2018 is a little easier, but not counting on it.

Thankful for the good moments - like watching Justin play with his daughters today.

Thankful for support of friends and family -- both real and imaginary  Seriously tho - I really do appreciate all the support my RA family has given me including our new members and for Jay and TwoCats ketchups!!

DGAFAOTH challenge stats:

91.5 miles total

25 runs between 1.0-1.8

12 treadmill runs

1 trip to the ER on Christmas Day

7 stitches and lots of bruising/swelling!!

denise

Happy new year to all!

I am curious how Tet's run went...and the plunge.

It's a beautiful sunny day here, and about 40F.  I didn't run, but went for a short walk with Mr. Blue Eyes, and went through a car dealership to window shop (for him, he's got a VW diesel that will be destroyed soon).

Yesterday I did a short hike, about 3 miles on Cougar Mtn (very hilly) with my DS17 who will be going off to college next September, so I am trying to get in as much one on one time with him as I can.

Then I bought a wart freezing kit at Target and tried it out.  I've got an annoying as heck plantar's wart on the ball of my foot which has been bothering me for the past year.  Very painful to walk on at times.  I'll probably have to repeat the kit a few times or eventually go to the doctor.

I did work up a big sweat today splitting some wood.  I tried to split some of these big pieces a few weeks ago and failed.  Last week I realized that if put absolutely EVERYTHING I have into the swing and force, I could do it.  So I did some of that today, enjoying my fire now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Set.

BANG!

Looks like everyone is off to a good start for 2018!

I did 10.5 on the trails at China Camp State Park, 1450' of elevation gain. Temps in the upper 50's lower 60's.

Officially 1466 miles for 2017, but I had a few runs when I forgot to take my watch. A couple months were under 40 miles, but biggest month was only 205.

Last night was amateur hour; we never go anywhere for New Years Eve. Watched the ball drop at 21:00 Pacific Time (00:00 EST), kids blew some horns, we all went back to reading/studying/gaming. Watched a movie later, because there was no reason to try to go to sleep before midnight. Listened to the gunfire and illegal fireworks until about 01:00-02:00 before they tapered off to nothing.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Image result for happy new year 2018

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

wishing each one of you many miles, happy hearts and good health. 

This is the first New Year's day that I have not gone either running or skiing.  Knee is feeling better, but HE who is watching over the injury said... wait a few more days.

Last night was grand!!! In the 33 years together, DH and I celebrated our first New Years party just the two of us. Party started at 9pm. It went until 1am Smile. Fun night, including our family's traditional walk around the block.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy New Year everybody!

I started the new year by driving to our main office to deliver my resignation letter to my boss.  I know it's New Years Day but I really expected him to be there...but he wasn't.  I wanted to give him a full two weeks notice and I think it's important to deliver it in person.  So, I will drive back down there in the morning.  If he isn't there, then, I will leave the letter with a note that I tried, two days in a row, to deliver it to him.  I will be starting my new job on January 15th.

After that little trip, I went to the Apple Store with my Apple Watch and told them to talk to me out of returning it.  I really wanted them to show me how I was going to make it work for me because I really like having all of it's other features.  They suggested that I download the Nike App and see if that makes a difference.  I did and, since it had warmed up to 1o, I did my 10 mile run outside to give it a try.  I wore my Garmin and started my stopwatch, as well.  The result--well, my Garmin conked out right at the end I wasn't able to compare the splits.  But--I know the Garmin was at 10 miles and the Apple Watch was at 10.21.  Along the way, I checked my pace on both watches, too, and the Apple was always showing me a faster pace.  Hmmm....maybe I like this Apple Watch.  Actually, somebody told me that it takes a few runs for the Apple to "get used" to the area.  I don't understand that but I'm going to give it a another week and, if it isn't any better, I'm taking it back and getting a new Garmin.

Okay--I have to go watch the end of this football game.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Happy New Year!  May 2018 be better for you than 2017!

+1 to Coastwalker for the daily recaps.  To answer your question, I wasn't in northwest Alabama for the New Year's Eve race (which historically I've done well in).  Had to get back to NC to welcome home my deployed personnel.  Worked out though, they postponed the race until this Saturday (morning) due to the forecast temps.  My DW let me know they got to single digits with the wind chill.  Nothing for my northern tier friends....but not many people in Alabama have gear to race in that.

I did go out last night at 10 minutes until midnight and got in a 4.25 mile run.  In the 20s, light wind.  Felt good.  Today I drove to New Bern to spend the day with my sister, BIL and mom.  A lot of different good luck food:  collard greens, black-eyed peas (only day in the year I'll eat both of those), pork, cornbread and red bean and rice.  While there I got in another 6.1 miles.  Temps in the low 20s and it was windier (about 11 deg F with the wind), so a good run.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy New Year everybody!

I started the new year by driving to our main office to deliver my resignation letter to my boss.  I know it's New Years Day but I really expected him to be there...but he wasn't.  I wanted to give him a full two weeks notice and I think it's important to deliver it in person.  So, I will drive back down there in the morning.  If he isn't there, then, I will leave the letter with a note that I tried, two days in a row, to deliver it to him.  I will be starting my new job on January 15th.

WOW--Good on you, Mike.  Best wishes on the new job--you deserve it!!

Stayed inside this morning.  Couldn't QUITE work up enough ambition to make it out for third single digit day in a row.  So my final day off since the 21st was spent installing our new Christmas kitchen faucet.  Both DW and I have disliked the old one pretty much since we got it, but being cheap, it's been at least 5 years that we've suffered with it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey y'all, Happy New Year!  May 2018 be better for you than 2017!

Wow, good job MikeE!

Got my New Year beat.

Whacha gunna be doin'?

red bean and rice

Hey Falcon-man, sounds like same o-sekihan combo I had?

see below

However, Happy New Year is right!
                        Already way better than last year.

Image result for happy new year 2018

Resolution 5K Run and Polar Bear Plunge (1/1/18).

temps: air - 37o / Lake Washington - 43o

sunny.

Ran all 5K in this year’s annual Resolution Run and Polar Bear Plunge I’d been doing off-and-on whenever in town since 2000 to mark the longest real running since the RA-reunion Portland Marathon in October 2016 (at 6:00:07! for fastest mary in five years) without the regular walking I’d been pretty much reduced to due to some stomach issues starting in November 2016. Contrary to prior quac, . . . I mean doc, saying I was overweight and needed a personal trainer, new primary care physician in October 2017 through my new health insurance promptly sent me off for an uneventful procedure to rearrange and secure some errant innards. I guess it worked.  Yippee.
                        ps KSA - no particular reason,
                        but is there a minimum pace required
                        for streakers, walking prohibited, etc.
                        ps - contrary to skimpy offerings for us slowbies at most events, e.g. the 5,000 halfies and 1,000 faster fullies at the Seattle Marathon have always devoured all the Ivar’s Clam Chowder I love, there was so much delicious chili with chopped onions and string cheese condiments today that they were giving out take-homes.  Good thing too, as DW had come up with another super-delicious Japanese New Year’s super meal seven years over there and 51 years enjoying the best cooking I never could have imagined without Japan coming into my life as an exchange student in 1966/67.
                        bamboo sprouts
                        black beans with mashed ginko beans
                        crispy shell big shrimp
                        datsu-maki kelp
                        ginko beans - yellow/whole
                        green tea
                        kamaboko sweet fish cakes
                        . . . bamboo design
                        . . . pine design
                        . . . plum blossom design
                        kinton (mashed sweet potato and chestnut)
                        kobu maki kelp
                        kohaku namasu strained daikon radish and carrot
                        kazunoko kelp w/herring eggs
                        kinpira sliced carrots and tan gobou burdock
                        kinton (mashed sweet potato and chestnut)
                        o-sekihan sticky rice with red bean

ozoni soup with
                        . . . carrots cut to plum blossom shape
                        . . . chicken cuts
                        . . . chikuwa hollow fish stick
                        . . . green beans
                        . . . glutinous mochi rice cake
                        . . . konbu kelp
                        . . . water cress
                        . . . shiitake mushrooms
                        Looks so foreign in romanji alphabetics
                        but, after seven years in Japan and 51 years
                        of food and other bliss, all are as familiar to me
                        as chicken noodle soup, roast beef, etc.

....xc....

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Tetsujin, glad you are feeling better and here is to wishing for a Bloomsday meet up with our family in May.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E a big congratulations on your new job! How about a few details? How close to home? Doing something new?

Busy day. Standard for me on new year's day. House rule is all Christmas decorations, most importantly the tree, come down on January 1st. It did. Plus, a lot of other decorations. There was also bird feeder refilling. It is so cold and the ground is snow covered, my DW and I just feel bad for the feathered critters. Dinner included Hoppin' John for good luck. Ended the day watching Grease. What a great movie! The music, acting and dancing are just incredible.

Oh yeah, 7 miles on the treadmill. It never cracked 15° today. Tomorrow I may try to get out later in the day when it should hit 20. That or do 11 on the treadmill and I am running out of recorded shows to watch. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tet-  No minimum pace required for streaking, but I believe you have to “run” at least one consequitive mile per day, so no walking breaks for at least one mile.  I’m nowhere near the top of the streak totem pole. One guy here on RA just hit 10 years.  As I think I mentioned before, another RA person was so invested in her streak that she caused permanent damage to herself, but still hasn’t stopped.  I am sad when a streak has to end, but I realize that there is a huge component of luck involved, and I’m not willing to risk permanent damage.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

metalmancpa

I'm taking some days off over the holidays. Last time I ran was on the 29th, and probably first run of 2018 won't be until Wed the 3rd.

I'm happy and somewhat amazed at myself that I got in 2111.8 miles in 2017. I honestly never expected to hit 2000 in any year, but got it done. I am fairly certain that will not happen again.