Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday, August 17 Daily ...... (Read 371 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Out for 5 miles this morning.   It wasn't as cool out as I had expected it to be, but it was much better than it has been, that's for sure!!  10:30 / 9:55 / 9:49 / 9:59 / 10:25 - 163 avg. HR - 10:08 avg. pace   The only peculiar thing that happened is what was possibly a bat swooping down in front of my face!!  I think my headlamp drew it in for some good bug eating.     It is time for some new shoes too - these have almost 300 miles on them which is high for me.   

I have a feeling that today is not going to be a good day at work.   Too many things going wrong and the boss is going to be in a "mood".   Sad      But, I do have a pedicure to look forward after work today!

I didn't have much time for reading yesterday - hope everyone had a great weekend.   We had a great time camping and B'Nellie made a good running partner Saturday and Sunday morning.

Happy Tuesday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

BlazinCajun

Mary - sounds like another pleasant run in the sticks, bats, bugs, dark - I bet you're a good spooky trail racer. Ever race trails at night? I found out that my class reunion is on the same weekend as our local half-marathon and I'll be out of town. Did find a race where the reunion takes place called the spooky trail run. It is a 10 mile trail run that I think takes place in the dark at a local State Park. Not sure I'll be able to get a similar workout to a half-marathon.

Today I ran a 50 minute workout and included: a warm up; an Easy pace with (8x20-sec striders @ 6:00/mile); and a cool down.

Hope every one has a wonderful day!

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Bats, huh. Those guys give me the Willies.
        5 clear and cool miles this morning, easy.
        shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

Mary:  I have had bats swoop down on my morning runs also - and I don't use a headlamp.  I think they just get curioius...or maybe Dracula's after you!  Personally I like bats - less mosquitos.

Out for a 5+miles fast easy this morning in mid 70F's and humid weather.  Started off as an easy but felt so good I ran a little faster than usual < 8 min miles.  Finished completely drenched.

Happy Tuesday.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

...nice running hopeful//.........sorry to hear you're drawing Bats.......

======

let's see,

''gripe,

gripe,

gripe.........26min poolrun.....

gripe

gripe''

............currently fighting a FlareUp.......

....DID order New Shoes...Adidas Solutions

....may not fix anything,

but the ANTICIPATION is Wonderful.........

.........................good running guys...............another poolrun tomorrow.........glub,glub

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary - spooky is right.

Blazin - I have enough trouble avoiding tree roots in daylight - a trail run at night for me would mean that I'd better wear kneepads and wrist protectors.

11.8 miles for me today in a delicious 62 degrees and 87%, including 7 x 1/2 mile intervals,

with 2 min. recoveries.  Unfortunately, the cooler temps didn't help my speed any, and in

fact I was quite a lot slower than last week.  Am I the only one here who just keeps getting

slower and slower the longer I train?  (sigh)  I ate too much yesterday, though, (and the

day before, and the day before that) and felt sluggish and heavy this morning.  Still, I'll

call it a nice tempo workout.

Intervals were thus:

4:12 (8:24)
              4:08 (8:16)
              4:18 (8:36)
              4:06 (8:12)
              3:56 (7:52)
              4:00 (8:00)
              4:02 (8:04)

plus lunges, step-ups, squats

Back on my diet plan again...

I met DD's new 3rd grade teacher last night, and she seems like a very nice woman.  DD is pleased.  I told her teacher, "you should know that DD is a talker.....like her mother...."  "Like her teacher"....she replied......

We'll meet DS's teachers tonight after DD's soccer scrimmage.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Nice intervals Holly. I wouldn't call that slow, but the impact of the added miles, which is typical this late in marathon training.

I chose to make this a cut back week for several reasons, the most important one being that I have added miles for the last 6 weeks and it is time to let the body recuperate before more miles are added to the week. So, all easy miles for my wings this week. Six flowing easy miles and not a single step was fast.

I was thinking of Wildchild's trail pictures as I ran today. What a beautiful place to run, hike or just be!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Holly, one thing I notice as my summer training goes along is that I start out running okay in the H&H.  The first few weeks I can happily run MP miles.  It doesn't affect my pace drastically at the beginning.  But the more days I run in the H&H, it seems the fatigue builds up and my easy paces get slower and slower.  MP becomes more challenging the longer I run in this stuff.

I try not to worry about it because I know from my Fall races the last few years that it comes back in a hurry when I run in cooler temps.  I don't always succeed in not worrying about it, but I do try not to.

6 easy miles this morning at 9:24 pace.  Tomorrow is MLR Tempo day normally, but I'm going to be very careful with it.  Don't need an injury with less than 7 weeks to go.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

A nice recovery pace for 4 miles last night. Slept in this morning....Kinda needed it. If the T-Boomers hold off I'll get a run in tonight. I'll throw a little XC run in as well thru the frisbee golf course.

I finally recieved word that my Asic's Speedstar 4's are no longer backordered and have finally shipped ! Hurray !

Slo

This just in.......Emailed to me from a buddy.

Wanted to share.

NY Times take on RAGBRAI. I thought this video pretty accuratly describes RAGBRAI.  It's a tad over 4 mins long.

NY Time on RAGBRAI

Hey All -

No run this a.m.  I'm coming down with the same crud my buddy, Denise, got this past weekend.  Keeping fingers crossed it stays a cold and doesn't morph into the full blown chest-rattling, loogy producing disease she has.  Am going to just take it easy this week and see how it all plays out.

Have been reviewing Consumer Reports re vehicles.  Anybody have a small SUV or a Nizzan Maxima size vehicle they like?  I want something with cargo space, comfort for the back seat sitters, decent mileage, and power to get up a hill when loaded down.

The Hub finally told me today he's had a headache ever since the accident.  But will he see a doctor? No.  Men.

Slo - I'll have to view the video when I have speakers.

Later, friends ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

the heat and smokiness from the fires have been so bad here, but the mornings are cooler and the air quality seems a bit better (probably not really though), so I got up at 5:50 this morning and went out for 4.2 miles. nice to get that done first thing. why don't I do this more often?

Tammy

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Take care Leslie, no fun getting sick when it is still summer out there!

Bats and small rodents not my favorites anywhere..they are always my concern with my yearly trail race at night, even in the winter!

Beautiful weather today, high to be 85 . We better enjoy it because I glanced at the forecast and it will be 59 by the weekend,,,,,

Still have a little blister  on the side of my heel so  no running for me today, good excuse also since we have a couple of Italian visitors staying with us and  time is limited. The legs are  feeling good and the bit too much sun on my face has turned into pretty dark coloring, I am quite an awful sight with major odd shaped runners tan lines all over me!

I'm considering a local 5or 10K on Sunday. Haven't done one in over a year and maybe it is time to give it a try.

Off to work now and to write a RR!!!

A good day to all,

Francesca

BlazinCajun

Can't wait till I reach my weight goal - lemon meringue pie, pecan pie, carrot cake, blueberry/pineapple dump cake, creme brulee.

Must be lunch time. One can tuna + two tablespoons mayo + 2 slices whole grain bread.

Andrew
                              ------------------
                              God, my Lord, is my strength;
                              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                              and enables me to go upon the heights.
                              Hb 3:19

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francesca -

there's a half marathon over in Issaquah on Saturday,... 

<<<(and associated 50K that is "arguably the toughest half-marathon and 50k in the northwest!"Wink>>>

but, unfortunately (whew!) , it's my annual triathlon at nearby Beaver Lake in Sammamish.  

<font>http://www.evergreentrailruns.com/</font>

ps - it is truly hard to believe you and dove chalked up almost 100 miles in 12 hours each 

during the weekend record-setting heat wave.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)