Masters Running

A letter to my brother (Not running related) (Read 375 times)

Von: I just finished talking to you on the phone. I have decided to write this and figure out how I will get it to you later. Most likely I will read it to you over the phone. I wanted to write out some thoughts that have come to me tonight and over my lifetime. A lot of lessons in my life came from the early days of us playing sports together. Of course you remember the many times when we would get off the school bus and rush up to the house in order to change our clothes so that we could go outside and play the sport that was in season, whether it was baseball, basketball, or football. I remember us working on trick plays in football which we would use when Lloyd Pease, Jinx Wardwell, Butch Wardwell or some of the other kids would come up to play us. You always made sure that we were on the same team and I was certainly happy with that. Those trick plays always worked and so did the hard “stick to it” work ethic that you taught me. Then there were the days when we would see how far we could go in four downs with the football. I am sure that there were times when my small stature and the six years of growth difference between us was frustrating for you. My throws were never very long and I dropped a lot of your good passes that were certainly “catchable”. However, you never complained…..you never told me I should do better….you never even hinted that you wished I could do better. At every stage and in every way, you only praised and encouraged me. We both played to the best of our ability and in a very positive way. I want you to know that I was trying the VERY best I could back then, purely because I wanted to improve and to be as good as you. I also wanted to please you and help us “Win” against our opponent, whether that day they were real or imaginary. Von, those times only made me better as an athlete but undoubtedly they didn’t physically challenge you the way you would have benefited if you had competed against kids your age. I remember you letting me be your personal “warm up” catcher between innings at Pony League or High School baseball games when you pitched. When players on the team offered to warm you up while the regular catcher got his gear on, you always waved them off and gave me that signal to get behind the plate. Once again, you were always thinking of me. Those were great days and I learned so much from you that has helped me throughout my life. Thanks. I remember one particular evening when we were over at the Jewett School after school. You were attending there while I was going to the Luman Warren School. You were in the 8th grade and I was a 2nd grader. For some reason we were still in town waiting for Mom and Dad to come pick us up. Anyway, you and your friends were playing basketball out on that playground near the swimming pool. I remember that there were three baskets side by side that had those old chain “nets”. You guys were playing a game and I stood nearby cheering for you. Finally the game was over and we were all going to head down to the “Neighborhood” store for some candy and a drink. However, you KNEW I wanted to make a basket and said, “Let’s let Joey get a basket first and THEN we will go to the store.” Your friends agreed but they didn’t know that I had never before made a basket on a regular 10 foot basket. The only place I had shot a basket up to that time was at that basket that we had hanging on the pole between the garden and the baseball field back home. I couldn’t even get the ball up to the basket except by using the old two underhand scoop shot. Do you remember this? I kept throwing it up towards the basket time and time again, as your friends encouraged me and you coached me. But the ball simply wouldn’t go in. Several times it rolled around the rim and out the other side. Eventually most of the other guys left except for you and John Murchie who also stayed. I kept trying to throw the ball up with all my might ..AND I KEPT MISSING. I don’t know how long this little exercise went on but I do remember wanting to quit and just wanting to go…….but you wouldn’t let me. John started quietly suggesting to you that perhaps we should leave, thinking that I wouldn’t hear, but I did. Meanwhile YOU were not going to leave until I made a basket. I learned a lot that cold evening in Bucksport. I found out how much you loved me and also I learned how you wouldn’t let your brother quit….even when things were not going right. Then we got Dad to build that huge basketball goal for the driveway, complete with the flood light that let us shoot and play ball for hours. We played hours of “Twenty one”….”EGGS”…… shot Foul shots……and then ended each session with this game……”There’s three seconds left in the game…Three……..Two………(shot)……One……(swish)….WE WIN!” I would love to know what your shooting percentage was for those shots. They were always on line and most often would fall in. That was a great mind preparation exercise, where we were playing as if this was the real thing……that this was a real game…..and that there was only three seconds left. In such a situation, we wanted to have the ball in our hands and have that chance to score the winning basket. You know that really was a great life preparation for both of us. I have often thought of this during the various situations of life. I have always wanted to be the one with the “ball in my hand” when a life crisis came along. That certainly is because of your example and the training you gave me back then. Von, as I see it, we now are at a stage in life where it is time to get off another shot. Please don’t read more into that statement than what we have the ability to know. Only God keeps life's time clock and score. None of us know for sure whether this is a shot that is needed to finish the game or simply to send it into overtime, but I do know that it is time for you to take the shot. Medical challenges and decisions seem to abound for you these days. Quite often there is not much else that you can do but to simply GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT. You didn’t want to do the colonoscopy yesterday but you gave it your best shot and the information they found is so valuable. You didn’t like the idea of the MRI either but you gave it your best shot and again came through it fine. How many kids over the years have you taught how to shoot the ball? It is… “See the shot…..visualize the ball going through the net …..and then just shoot”. Ultimately you know ….WE WIN. It is now my turn to be the brother who won’t let you stop until you make that shot. There are now others besides just you and me watching this game. You have Paula, your kids and their spouses watching. There are grandkids, relatives and many, many friends who are all watching as well. EVERYONE wants you to keep shooting and are cheering for you to make that happen. Meanwhile, I am going to continue to pray for you and shout out the words of encouragement, exactly the way I learned from you that day in Maine. God is keeping score for sure, but you simply need to continue to shoot. The game is certainly not over yet. I heard Kelly say that you have a grandson who wants another game of golf and I am certainly up for one with you soon too. But for now, please just keep shooting. You wouldn’t let me quit back then and I am not going to let you quit now By the way…….do you remember? I FINALLY MADE THE SHOT. I love you Von
    Vista
      ...this is a beautiful letter........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Best thoughts for your bro... he sounds like a great guy. Ray
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for sharing your beautiful writing. I know it will mean a lot to your brother! You are lucky to have each other. I didn't know you grew up in Bucksport - I've spent some time there, because I designed the foundation of a wrapper building at the mill in 1990-1991. What a pretty area! DH also did a lot of design on the Fort Knox renovation. Have you seen the new bridge with the observation tower? It has to be one of the most beautiful bridges in the world - it's one of only a handful with a tower like that.
          seemomgo

Ahhhhh....the power of words. Beautiful words to your brother. Von is a lucky man. Sounds like you are too! Prayers and peace for the both of you going through this difficult time.
            evanflein

Sounds like you two have been very close and supportive to each other through the years. You're right, now it's your turn to help him keep going. Beautifully written, Vista. Peace and best wishes to both of you.
                "Well done, good and faithful servant." (Matthew 25:21) You have invested well the talents God has given you. You are storing up treasures in Heaven. God bless you and your brother! I will continue to pray for both of you!
                  beautiful........

denise

We all want someone to love and be loved like this!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That is so well written! My heart goes out to you and your brother. Thank you for sharing! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Absolutely beautiful - prayers and well wishes for your brother, you, and your families.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

munchkn883

Wow, what a beautiful letter! You and your brother are very fortunate to have each other.

Top 'O the World!

Such a Gift you both have! Smile
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Well done,Joey! Godspeed Fran
                              HermosaBoy

Awesome!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob