Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - November 2009 (Read 845 times)

It is kind of discouraging how quickly I lose fitness.

... right there with you! After a 10 day break I am blowing out of my <insert appropriate body part here> after a s-l-o-w four miler

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Had a lousy finish to Oct, running wise that is. With all the prep and tumult getting ready for daughters 10/31 wedding wasn't able to get a run in until yesterday and did one lap around the hotel block (~1.7mi). Got a short easy two miler in this morning around my neighborhood.

I've also got two halves this month. The first, the Fort Worth Marathon Half on 11/8 will be a pb w/o trying since it is my first. I'll also be in Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day to run with my son. Grandkids will do the fun run so we should all have a good time. Will try to hook up with MrPH near the starting line. Especially since I won't see him once we get started. I'll be lucky to finish Atlanta in 3:30:00. That last 2 mi hill is longer than anything I can train on around here. Best I have is one about as steep that runs almost 1mi.

I'll be shooting for a real half pb at the Cowtown Marathon Half on 2/27/10, so these two this month are really to get my sea legs for the distance.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Prince of Fatness

Good luck this weekend, Bob.  Enjoy the morning.

Not at it at all. 

JoeInTX

Hello Halfers - Just a quick post on my progress in my training for the 1/2 I am planning on in Jan.  Originally we were planning on the Phoenix R&R on Jan 17.  We did the inagural R&R 1/2 in San Antonio last year and had fun.  Over 30K runners/walkers there.  Plans for Phoenix fell through so decided on one more local.  The Houston Half Marathon sold out within 24 hours!!  So the one I'm registered for is in Sugarland, TX on the 10th. 

I'm currently training with a USAFit local affiliate group.  Last 2 Saturdays have been 8 miles.  This Saturday is a local 25K (3 person relay), however I'm not planning on running.  Next week we move up to 9 miles.  Should I do another 8 on my own or should I run 9 in prep for next week's?  Wink  Or maybe do a drop back week and just do 7?

Lu481

October was a good month for me.  I managed to get in 140.6 miles, the most I've ever run in a month.  I'm guessing that the slower running has helped with that big time.  Because of the large increase in mileage I've been watching my morning HR very close and if it's over 60 then I take that day off.  I've also been paying attention to any little aches and pains.  Perhaps in the new year I'll be back up to the same fitness level I was in prior to my injury and the forced time off.  Now the big question is:  Can I keep up my mileage for the next couple months? 

Wow, 2 half marathons in 1 month.  Good luck with your PR, Mr PH.

Simon, why not start training for the full and see how you're feeling.  I think that the longer endurance runs will also help the times for the shorter distances, but then again what do I know, I tend to either push myself too hard or not hard enough.  *smile*  I'm also contemplating on whether I'd like to try a full marathon next year or not.  If I do, it won't be until August.  The distance sounds a little scary right now, although the distance for the 1/2 sounded scary at first too.

Matt, hope your hip is better soon.  The problem might not be the hip itself but the knees.  When I had problems with my hip it was caused from my knees being twisted a bit.  Maybe some exercises to strengthen them might help as well.

Good luck to the rest of you running races this month as well.

I'm currently training with a USAFit local affiliate group.  Last 2 Saturdays have been 8 miles.  This Saturday is a local 25K (3 person relay), however I'm not planning on running.  Next week we move up to 9 miles.  Should I do another 8 on my own or should I run 9 in prep for next week's?  Wink  Or maybe do a drop back week and just do 7?

Hey Joe - fancy seeing you here Wink

If the group are racing, what i'd do is drop the miles back to 6 or 7, but run them faster that you would normally.... That would keep you pretty much to the group plan!!!

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

123 miles in Oct. was a new high for me and about where I plan to stay through the winter.

I'm running a 4k on Saturday and have absolutely no clue how to pace myself.

I have 4 family members (+ me) running, 3 of which I will be cheering in at the finish.

I just plan on running hard and having fun.

Bob, we are all looking forward to your race report.  Don't forget to enjoy it!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Glad to see you guys here!!

Joe, not knowing your true base mileage, this is a difficult question to answer

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

JeffRW

I got 4.66 in tonight @ 7:45 pace after a rest day.  Legs worked well, but are sore.

Joe - I'm thinking about the RR in Arizona.

PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11
                      Ringmaster

Hi, everyone!

Joe, it's hard to tell what would be best--are you ready for a cutback week? If so, yeah, drop back to 6 or 7 this week and run 'em easy. If you're ready for more work, run them at goal race pace by yourself, running the first and last miles easy to warm up and cool down. Or start out with the plan to run another 8 and if you feel great go for 9. Hmmm. I'm not much help, am I? In my defense I think I'd feel better if I knew more from your log about where your base is.

Couple of ambitious racers in here! Bob, I hope your November is fantastic! With a wedding at the end of October, you actually did great with your mileage--congrats, by the way! I hope your races go fantastic. According to RW, the Cowtown Marathon is a great course to PR--is the half the same way? Have a great race this weekend, too--can't wait for the rr.

Lu, you're probably smart to pay attention to the little niggles. Letting small things become big things is a sure way to get sidelined for a long time. Congrats on the new mileage milestone!

Cara--it's good to see you here, too!

Awald, congrats on your own mileage milestone, too--seems like a lot of us are peaking around the same time. Here's hoping November brings on more good things!

Jeff, I've never done a RR but heard good things. You sure are fast!  When's Arizona?

Well, after my interval session on Monday my legs were shredded yesterday. I ran 6 easy around 5 am but they were the hardest easy miles I've done in a long time and I would never have finished them if I hadn't been running with a friend. Then last night my little girl--this is a true story--was in the bathroom and pulled out a stool, lifted the toilet seat, and threw up in the bowl, all without saying a word. She just turned 6. I just turned 35 and I still want someone with me when I'm sick!

So this morning I gave myself a pass on the easy 6 that were penciled into the schedule. I figured at this point rest will do me more good than a few more easy miles. With the race about 10 days away, I'd rather keep my immune system as healthy as I can instead of wearing myself down. I've felt so sleepy and tired the last few days and really, at this point, most of my training is about done. I'll put in a short run if I can later but I'm not gonna stress about it. (She's acting fine now, btw, begging me to take her off the bland diet. She's bummed that she had to miss school, too.)

Okay, so we've got

8th--awaldvogel--4k

8th--MrPH--Seacoast Half

8th--bobev--Fort Worth Marathon Half

15th--VixiDu--13.1 Fort Lauderdale

26th--MrPH--Atlanta Half

26th--bobev--Atlanta Half

January 10th--JoeinTX--Sugarland Half

February 22nd--VixiDu--A1A Marathon

Anything or anyone I'm missing?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

redleaf

Okay, so we've got

8th--awaldvogel--4k

8th--MrPH--Seacoast Half

8th--bobev--Fort Worth Marathon Half

15th--VixiDu--13.1 Fort Lauderdale

26th--MrPH--Atlanta Half

26th--bobev--Atlanta Half

January 10th--JoeinTX--Sugarland Half

February 22nd--VixiDu--A1A Marathon

I like this! Maybe a separate thread for listing and update races? What do you think?

My next half isn't until May 2010

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

IMKY13 finish!!

I like this! Maybe a separate thread for listing and update races? What do you think?

you can always use this thread for listing your upcoming races...

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1b9564da93fa406c8c894d9db73312fa

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

redleaf

you can always use this thread for listing your upcoming races...

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/1b9564da93fa406c8c894d9db73312fa

Except that's a separate group for marathon training?

I just thought it would be nifty to have a list of the participants in this group...only so much information I am capable of processing.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I'm doing the White Rock Half on December 13th - Goal: PR. Current PR: 2:07:07

MTA: I like the idea of having a smaller list here for the group too - The one on the main board is great... but huge!

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring