Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

bagopux

let me add myself to the chorus: onemile, glad that the training paid off and you had a great outcome.  Docket, sand?  really?

i've basically taken the week off after the half last week.  letting the body get good and healed up for the next training cycle. itching to get back out there, but rest is a necessity sometimes.

happy running everyone.

Smashy!!!

For feeling bad about it. Didn't I predict you'd do that? I also predicted that I'd yell at you about it, so had to follow through. Smile

Are you Tsking me for leaving time on the course or for feeling bad about it?

and hope you feel better.  Is this the same cold as before because if so, maybe you should see a doctor!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Overall, I really am happy with my race though! I mean 3:42 really was my best case scenario time.  So I'm not feeling too bad!  Just that tiny part of me that thinks I should have suffered a bit more for it.

For feeling bad about it. Didn't I predict you'd do that? I also predicted that I'd yell at you about it, so had to follow through. Smile

bagopux - thanks!  sounds like a good idea to rest and recover before getting back into things.  that's my plan too.

Congrats to Flinders, Onemile and Docket, great performances! Wish I could match any one of them....

Ran 13k (8 miles) of technical and hilly trails today with my son.  He ran 15 miles before I got there to get warmed up...must be nice to be young!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Both?

Are you Tsking me for leaving time on the course or for feeling bad about it?

and hope you feel better.  Is this the same cold as before because if so, maybe you should see a doctor!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The RD told me that there were some rolling hills he named the Dunes of Heaven, but he said the course was packed sand.  The sand was not packed but loose.  I assume the weather had something to do with that.

Wow! Congrats onemile and Docket.  You ladies are running machines!

Docket, did you know you'd have the sand dunes so you could prepare for it?  That would just trash my legs.

Onemile, worrying that you left a little out there - but hitting a sweet goal - is exactly where you want to be.  Great job!

I'm in the middle of my 2nd training cycle.  Pfitz 12/55.  I would be better off with a higher mileage plan, but sometimes its hard to fit in these miles as it is.  Got 17 mile LR on the schedule tonight.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

Welcome back Dark Streets.  Glad to see you are still marathoning.

Bago - +1 to the rest is sometimes a necessity.

I would have to evaluate how I feel before deciding to run 18 or 20, but it seems that they rec not specifically to do a 16 miler but to stay under 3 hours on your long runs (which would probably mean 18 miles at my paces). At 45 sec slower than MP I would say that I probably wouldnt want to go through to 20 either.

I have been fascinated with the Hansons plan since buying the book, and I bought it the day it came out.  At this point I want to try something new to mix things up.  I dont want to get burnt out and I think the body would react well to something different at this point.  I just hope that one easy day after a MP run to enter into an LR is doable.  I think it is, but we will have to see.

Fixin to get ready to go to my first PT appointment.  I am authorized up to 24 visits before 11 June.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning with great leg turnover and pace.  Off to get my allergy shot and then work. W eights tonight.

Damaris

onemile

See how you feel. It's not that you can't run 20 but if it affects your ability to hit the hard stuff hard then it's counter productive.

I would have to evaluate how I feel before deciding to run 18 or 20, but it seems that they rec not specifically to do a 16 miler but to stay under 3 hours on your long runs (which would probably mean 18 miles at my paces). At 45 sec slower than MP I would say that I probably wouldnt want to go through to 20 either.

I have been fascinated with the Hansons plan since buying the book, and I bought it the day it came out.  At this point I want to try something new to mix things up.  I dont want to get burnt out and I think the body would react well to something different at this point.  I just hope that one easy day after a MP run to enter into an LR is doable.  I think it is, but we will have to see.

Fixin to get ready to go to my first PT appointment.  I am authorized up to 24 visits before 11 June.

Good luck at PT. Let us know how it goes!

onemile

You are insane. I could hardly shuffle from my parking lot to the office and you're running today?

Morning!  I did 5 miles this morning with great leg turnover and pace.  Off to get my allergy shot and then work. W eights tonight.

Ran 11 miles yesterday to make 46 for the week. Hoping for at least 40 this week to make the first back to back 40 mile weeks since September. I am contemplating an URD today though, still a little tired/sore from yesterday as I my legs just died in the second half of the run for some reason. I felt good so I ran faster than I should have for the first 6 miles, at about a 8:45 average, but still don't think I should have had that much trouble for the subsequent 5 miles. On Thursday I felt fine running 10 miles with 8 of them at 7:40 pace - unless I am just having a slow recovery from that? This is the first week I have run 6 days since last Spring. I am just a little confused.

PRs: 10k-44:36 (10/12), HM-1:44:55 (4/13), FM-3:41 (10/13)

Ball of Fury

Well, I am glad I had a great run  yesterday because today, I had to do what I call the "runner's walk of shame!"  I got up at 4:15 ready to run 6-7 easy miles, and truthfully, I had trouble just walking to the bathroom.  Both my ITBs were just unhappy and very tight.  Got ready anyway, hoping they would loosen up after I warmed up and did a quick stretch...should have known better when I was limping just trying to walk.  But, you know, sometimes you get going and things start to feel better so I kept at it...for an entire 0.22 miles at a blistering pace of 14:35/mile.  After that, I realized I was being an idiot, so I did the walk of shame back down my street.  Super sad as the weather was perfect and my legs feel really good, except for the ITB stuff.  Anyway, went home, did Ab Ripper X, stretched and foam rolled.  I am now at work and I am walking fine, so maybe they were just super stiff this morning.  I MIGHT try an easy run this afternoon or I might just take my rest day today and give it a go again tomorrow.  Frustrating!  It's weird too, because yesterday, I had almost no pain...just a couple twinges.  Ugh!

Indy:  I think you would really like the Hanson plan.  As Onemile said, it's tougher than it looks on paper.  The other big thing they stress with the longer runs is percentage of weekly mileage, so they don't want you to go over 25% for your long run.

Docket:  Good lord crazy woman...nice 5!

Onemile:  You might have left a minute or two out there, but another way to look at it is that you might have pushed harder from the beginning and had a massive blow-up and finished 10 minutes slower than you did!  Question:  did you use the Hanson advanced plan from the book for Carmel?  I thought so but wasn't sure.

Nick:  Sometimes, our bodies are just telling us to rest or go really slow and I think that part of becoming a better runner is learning to listen!

Simon:  Nice run with your DS!

Bago:  Yes, sometimes rest is absolutely what we need and something we aren't that great at doing, myself included.

Flinders:  Awesome job on the 10-miler!  I'm sorry you weren't happy with your performance but I think you did an amazing job.

DarkStreets:  Welcome back!  Glad to see you are still here.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

That sucks about your run this morning but I guess you can let this be a lesson not to run your LR's too fast!  I've done it myself when I was feeling good but then you pay for it later!   (But you did really rock it yesterday!  But maybe try to hold back next time)

Well, I am glad I had a great run  yesterday because today, I had to do what I call the "runner's walk of shame!"  I got up at 4:15 ready to run 6-7 easy miles, and truthfully, I had trouble just walking to the bathroom.  Both my ITBs were just unhappy and very tight.  Got ready anyway, hoping they would loosen up after I warmed up and did a quick stretch...should have known better when I was limping just trying to walk.  But, you know, sometimes you get going and things start to feel better so I kept at it...for an entire 0.22 miles at a blistering pace of 14:35/mile.  After that, I realized I was being an idiot, so I did the walk of shame back down my street.  Super sad as the weather was perfect and my legs feel really good, except for the ITB stuff.  Anyway, went home, did Ab Ripper X, stretched and foam rolled.  I am now at work and I am walking fine, so maybe they were just super stiff this morning.  I MIGHT try an easy run this afternoon or I might just take my rest day today and give it a go again tomorrow.  Frustrating!  It's weird too, because yesterday, I had almost no pain...just a couple twinges.  Ugh!

Onemile:  You might have left a minute or two out there, but another way to look at it is that you might have pushed harder from the beginning and had a massive blow-up and finished 10 minutes slower than you did!  Question:  did you use the Hanson advanced plan from the book for Carmel?  I thought so but wasn't sure.

Yes, Hansons Advanced from the book.  Really the only changes I did was bump up two of the LRs to 18 and I tried to do the longer wu/cds (they give you a range of 1.5-3 miles for each wu/cd)

AmiK - your schedule is practically identical to mine with a HM that same weekend and I plan to start a 20wk 60-80mpw Hanson plan on July 1st. I am taking it easy first week after Frederick just easy miles around 45-50m. I am still working out what I plan to do leading up to Philly training. I'd like to get my base mpw up a bit to mid60s range consistently. I have a couple of 5k's I might do, but was going to to do a mix of Hanson 5k/HM  just to get into a routine.

I'm also going to use the 20wk 60-80mpw Hanson plan targeting the Chicago marathon.  The official start will be on May 27th, although I actually have a 10k that day.  The start of this plan will be two weeks after my Lake Wobegon marathon.

Ball of Fury

That sucks about your run this morning but I guess you can let this be a lesson not to run your LR's too fast!  I've done it myself when I was feeling good but then you pay for it later!   (But you did really rock it yesterday!  But maybe try to hold back next time)

Yes, Hansons Advanced from the book.  Really the only changes I did was bump up two of the LRs to 18 and I tried to do the longer wu/cds (they give you a range of 1.5-3 miles for each wu/cd)

Woman, I expect that from CBus, not you Big grin

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15