Sub-4 Marathon Group

May 2013 (Read 58 times)

onemile

Sorry your ITB is still being a pain.  Sucks.  ITBS is the worst.  My right side at my knee was awful for pretty much a year but now I can run as much as I want basically but my left side sometimes gets really tight and painful.  Did your chiro work on more than just the band itself? Mine always does graston on what he calls the hamstring insertion point / ischial tube (lower butt area :P ) and piriformis area and then the whole outer hip.

Afternoon Donuts!  Went to chiro yesterday for ART and he did Graston also.  I am feeling a bit better but just had to run down the hall to help a patient and I could feel my hip was really tight....argh!!  Anyway, did P90X Legs and Back and Insanity Cardio Abs this morning.  Not much else to report.

Onemile:  Nice 12...glad to see you are recovering very well from Carmel.  When does fall marathon training start?

Thanks.  I'm planning to jump right in after I get back from vacation - the week of June 9.  That'll only give me 17 weeks and not the full 18 but I actually skipped the first week of Hansons last time too and it was fine.

Indi - that's really lame that your PT won't work on your calf without an explicit prescription? WTF.  Have I mentioned I love my chiro. He will work on whatever I ask him to and I don't need a prescription to see him.  It sounds promising that you can jump on it though. Mine healed pretty quickly when I strained it but it took about 3 weeks before I stopped feeling something there when I put a lot of weight on my forefoot.

Ball of Fury

No, he pretty much just worked the ITB, but the ART works my whole leg/butt.  It's weird because I very, very rarely have any pain/tightness at the knee, it's almost always my hip.  And it doesn't really hurt necessarily, it's just so tight and stiff that when I try to run, it feels like it's pulling apart and my leg feels "weak."  This causes my gait to alter and I limp....sucks, sucks, sucks!

And I think you will be just fine with 17 weeks...since you kicked butt last time!!  Is this your trip to Africa?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

onemile

Oh, good he is doing the ART that way. When I had ART, the PT just did along my ITB, mostly by my knee.  My left hip tightness is annoying but it doesn't affect my gait at all.  My right side was the limping variety.  It's the worst. Sad

And yes, my trip to Africa.  Leaving in a week!  I'm excited!

No, he pretty much just worked the ITB, but the ART works my whole leg/butt.  It's weird because I very, very rarely have any pain/tightness at the knee, it's almost always my hip.  And it doesn't really hurt necessarily, it's just so tight and stiff that when I try to run, it feels like it's pulling apart and my leg feels "weak."  This causes my gait to alter and I limp....sucks, sucks, sucks!

And I think you will be just fine with 17 weeks...since you kicked butt last time!!  Is this your trip to Africa?

Ball of Fury

That's so awesome!!  You gonna run over there? Wink

DetroitTigerFan

Sprinkles - good luck with your race this weekend. Do they have any type of cool expo or events around race weekend ? hope the weather is good for you !!! hope the lake keeps things cool for you

Running shorts - looks like i'm going back to return the under armor heat gear shorts - uggg - they are just too long and touching my knee cap when I bend slightly. Last year's version is like 2 inches or so above that.  I'm going to look back at your posts and I guess try to find another brand. Option 2 is to take my current pairs from last year (have like 6) and just pull the strings tight each time I run

Question - do any of you find yourself analyzing your current workouts to similar workouts from exactly a year ago ? I say this for folks following the same training plans a year apart. My training cycles and plans are roughly identical to last year.  I keep going back to mine to see if I can "beat" my workout times from last year. I'm not sure if this is healthy - lol - or maybe good since i'm pushing myself - I need 7 minutes ! what are your thoughts?

Smile

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

onemile

We are going to try to run a couple times at least. But some of the locations aren't safe for running and we're not sure how much we'll get to do.  I'm not too worried about missing a couple weeks.

That's so awesome!!  You gonna run over there? Wink

DTF - I've never followed the same plan twice so I haven't been able to do this.  Although I think it'll be useful my second round of Hansons to compare how I felt on the workouts the first time around to get an idea of if my goal is achievable.

Ball of Fury

We are going to try to run a couple times at least. But some of the locations aren't safe for running and we're not sure how much we'll get to do.  I'm not too worried about missing a couple weeks.

DTF - I've never followed the same plan twice so I haven't been able to do this.  Although I think it'll be useful my second round of Hansons to compare how I felt on the workouts the first time around to get an idea of if my goal is achievable.

Just take your shoes off and channel your inner Kenyan!!

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

Did 4 recovery miles today.

Ami, sucks about your injury. Have they examined your hip flexor and/or piriformis? I'm just thinking if it's higher up in your hip, it might be associated with something in your hip or butt region. Just a thought.

Someone please post updates for Sprinkles's race on the forum--thanks!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

7 miles again tonight. I am trying hard to slow my pace down on my runs but it feels un-natural now. The first 3-4 were around 8:35 and balance were around 8:55-9:05.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ami, sorry to hear that it is still bothering you.  Get better!

Damaris

White Lightning

Finally called the yard work quits for the day.  I dare anyone to show me one more shovel of mulch, its getting really old.  I've shoveled 36 yards, three dump trucks, in the last week  So took rest day today and will get back on my feet tomorrow morning

Diet is totally screwed up.  Breakfast always starts perfect but for lunch I had two cinnamon buns and a pepsi.  then for dinner I had two more  cinnamon buns and a monster glass of chocolate milk and for a late snack I just ate a wagon wheel.  Maybe its my body saying i'm burning a lot more calories than I think with all the yard work

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

CBus:  My MRI showed bursitis in my greater trochanter, so I am assuming that is why most of the pain and tightness is in the hip.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

harvey only bright spot for Mets right now. Wheeler needs to come up already.

Hey, another NY'er!  I grew up on the Island.  Didn't care much for the NFL, but still carry the torch for the Mets and Islanders.  So torn on Matt Harvey.  Being a Duke alum, it just pains me to root for an ex-Tar Heel, but, after that near-perfect game, I think I'm over it.

MDawg, sorry about the Thrashers.  I used to go to Philips at least once a season.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! Really have had no time to post lately. Ran my 10m LR this weekend at my hanson LR pace and felt pretty good. 7;59 overall pace. that should be fun later on when LRs are in 16-20m range. Got in 11.5m this morning. it's been awhile since I've done a MLR like that at an easy pace. felt nice to stretch out the legs some. More importanly hit 1000 miles for the year. Took me lot longer last year to hit that milestone, but very happy how consistent my running has been this year.

Lots of ctaching up to do, but rock on and do work!SmileApprove

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

mdawg87

Good morning!  Weights, 3 easy TM miles, and stretching at the gym.  Loving the warm weather!  May it stay forever...except on race days.  Looked at some Boston hotels last night.  Not cheap, but I didn't expect it to be.  If we can use points, we will.  I feel really weird booking a hotel before I've even qualified, but all the Boston veterans tell me that's the norm as it's difficult to get a room and even more expensive if you wait.  Booked a trip to FL for the week of June 9th too.  I love summer!

Jedi:  Congrats on 1000 miles!  Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing as you on LR paces once the heart of Hansons hits.  Hopefully the conditioning will pay off.

Roll:  Nice job by the Blackhawks last night.  One down, three to go.  I feel you on not being able to slow the paces down.  I reiterate my comment to Jedi though.  We'll see what happens when the Hansons grind starts!

cbus:  Go Kings go!  I'm guessing the game is at 10 pm EST tonight?  I probably won't see any of it.  It'll be Friday morning Sportscenter highlights for me.

Josh:  I bet you're burning an insane amount of calories doing all that yardwork.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)