Ultra Runners

WS 2011 (Read 807 times)

DoppleBock

http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2011/06/where-im-at.html

"At some point thus the question becomes: why race at all then? I'm still not to the point of seriously asking myself this question. I still get a lot of satisfaction from competing with others at something we've all put so much time and effort into. 29 days out of 30 I prefer to just be out running through the mountains at a mellow pace, exploring the terrain around me, but about once a month it's really fun to line up and push myself physically and mentally in conjunction with and in competition with dozens (sometimes hundreds) of other like minded folks. I imagine that I will eventually get to the point of not craving this kind of running anymore, or at least much less often than the once a month that I do now. For now though, come race day, I'm as focused and ready as anyone to scratch and claw to compete at my highest potential on that given day. I'm just not willing to compromise my enjoyment and nourishment from my running on the other 29 days of the month"

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

I'm gonna go off the board and pick the winner as "none of the above".

Seanv2

One of his recent blog posts - was something like - The true joy of running is what you do each day - enjoying the trails - mountains etc - For now once a month he can get up to racing all out - But he makes it sound like that will end soon enough ... Basically sounded like he was not "Up" for the race - So either he was trying to lay low and be a cool cat - or he is just no into it.

Ultra running is in a weird place as a sport. Assumably people like Roes got into this because they loved running long, and I can't imagine that when he started he thought he would ever get paid for it.  But now he is a professional athlete with pressure from sponsors, getting interview about race strategy, etc. It must be weird.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

I just watched an interview with Roes on irunfar. It was... weird. I think he is battling a cold or something and doesn't seem all that excited about the race.

I think maybe he's just a shy guy. Also it seems like it's the culture of ultra runners in the Northwest to be a little low-key.  Maybe it's part of why they seem to find Dean Karnazes off-putting. Not that he's making money, but that maybe he's a bit to rah-rah for them. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Also it seems like it's the culture of ultra runners to be a little low-key.

Now you're talking.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Seanv2

Also it seems like it's the culture of ultra runners in the Northwest to be a little low-key.

Roes may live between Alaska and Colorado, but he is from New York! I want him to get up there and start shouting "I'm gonna crush that little Spandard! Take a good look at the back of this head, Killian, cause that is all you're going to see, amigo!"...

...Or something like that.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Kalsarikännit

http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2011/06/where-im-at.html

"At some point thus the question becomes: why race at all then? I'm still not to the point of seriously asking myself this question. I still get a lot of satisfaction from competing with others at something we've all put so much time and effort into. 29 days out of 30 I prefer to just be out running through the mountains at a mellow pace

This is the guy who was just bitching and moaning in Jan and Feb about the lask of a championship race (http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2011/01/championship-race.html).  Now it look like he is already making excuses why he won't do well tomorrow.  WSER is THE championship race.  Nobody needs to pin a title on it.  It is understood.

While I think Jornet is going to win,but  I don't know that I am cheering for him, either.  After the awards ceremony last year they made an announcement that he was autographing posters of himself if anyone wanted one.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe it was his age, maybe things are different in Europe, I'm sure sponsors were involved.  It made me cringe though.

I am seeing less and less humility amongst the top male ultrarunners.  I think they want ultrarunning to change (money, championships, race directors who let them into full races) because they are some pretty great runners.  Ultras still seem to be about the average runner, though.  Thank God. 

I need to go down the entrant list and see who I am cheering for. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I have to agree - When I 1st read GR's blog, I thought it was cool - Then he moved to CO and became a Pro-Runner and the tone kept hurting my ears more and more.  I didn't even read it for a few months - But I started again for WS.

I do think in Europe things are different - The average Joe actually thinks some of the ultra-runners are stars.

Kalsarikännit

Holy Crap!  The woman's race is unreal.  I knew of a few of the women that were going to be there, but going through the list I am floored.  This is one damn deep race.

Meghan Arbogast, Annette Bednosky, Rory Bosio,Tracy Garneau,  Liza Howard (I'm really intersted to see how she does), Nikki Kimball, Aliza Lapierre, Ellie Greenwood, Sandi Nypaver (who is very young, but has been tearing it up), Anita Ortiz, Kami Semick, Pam Smith, Caren Spore, Amy Sproston, and Joelle Vaught

Wow.

DoppleBock

Any I think all are likeable - Where some of the men are not.

Of course what's not to like about women? 

Holy Crap!  The woman's race is unreal.  I knew of a few of the women that were going to be there, but going through the list I am floored.  This is one damn deep race.

Meghan Arbogast, Annette Bednosky, Rory Bosio,Tracy Garneau,  Liza Howard (I'm really intersted to see how she does), Nikki Kimball, Aliza Lapierre, Ellie Greenwood, Sandi Nypaver (who is very young, but has been tearing it up), Anita Ortiz, Kami Semick, Pam Smith, Caren Spore, Amy Sproston, and Joelle Vaught

Wow.

Wow.

It's insanity. Both fields seem to be very deep. I'm thinking Greenwood, Semick and Smith for the women and Jornet, Roes, and Koerner for the men.

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Best place for coverage tomorrow?  Twitter?  Webcast? Others?

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

A dark horse to watch will be Nick Clark who is having a great season also finishing 3rd at American River and 1st at Jemez 50 miler (tough race by the looks of it)

I don't think Roes is focused on WS100 as he was last year as he has repeatedly stated UTMB is his number one focus. Kilian for me this year if he gets his hydration right.

Kalsarikännit

I decided that I am rooting for Nick Clark.  He lives in my college town, Ft. Collins (great trails that I will be running in two weeks).  Plus he seems normal. 

Nick – I started out running roads, however, I really haven’t been running all that long. I grew up in Canterbury, Kent (famous as a pilgrimage site, with many historical buildings including the cathedral, and home to one of the oldest schools in England) where I was definitely a team sports guy, playing rugby at a fairly high level – mostly scrum half and fly half – until two years post college. I never ran for the sake of running as I just didn’t enjoy it! The only thing I enjoyed about running was getting ready for rugby.

http://trailrunningsoul.com/trs/2010/12/24/interview-with-nick-clark-2010-review-and-prospects-for-2011/

Best place for coverage tomorrow?  Twitter?  Webcast? Others?

IRunFar.com will have a twitter feed of the race.  Also the WS100 website will have a live video of the finish once it gets to the end.