2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I mean I've gotten hella soft since I switched coasts and I was mister bad weather back east.  And I balked at running in the rain here on Monday, opting for the treadmill.  Although, a little of that was the darkness factor which is much more significant cause i'm not in a city anymore.

^ ^ all of this

49 degrees and somewhat rainy has been our trademark here the past two months and I am salty about it!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

^ ^ all of this

49 degrees and somewhat rainy has been our trademark here the past two months and I am salty about it!

I'll trade you. GLADLY.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Isn't Brew doing the Mt. Charleston log flume?  If there was a race I could see having wind in your face the whole way, it would be that one...

I would say just living in those conditions would go a long way towards acclimation, though? I mean I've gotten hella soft since I switched coasts and I was mister bad weather back east.  And I balked at running in the rain here on Monday, opting for the treadmill.  Although, a little of that was the darkness factor which is much more significant cause i'm not in a city anymore.

I've noticed your armor is weakening but assumed it was due to the work/life balance. Also, appropriate use of the word hella.

As for wind on race day I think it's 50/50 truthfully. There is probably a higher possibility it's excessively cold/hot than windy although I'm not extremely familiar with the local weather in the area. Currently they have 24-29 MPH winds out of the south west (tailwind-ish). It looks to come from that direction for the remainder of the week too. Good thing I practiced something like that today.  https://mtcharlestonweather.com/forecast/

"Dwave Workouts are not binary pass/fail." Signature worthy. Again....guilty. Oh and I don't question your Chipotle fetish. I figured it would be the same as questioning me drinking a Coors Light. It would be you eating Qdoba before a race I'd question just to make sure you're in a good place mentally.  Oh and I almost gave you a Strava title. I saw three or for broken branches on the ground. Almost tripped over the first one mid run.

jmac hold the phone....30 degrees is your comfortable running weather AND you run at night? Damn Yankees. I do agree on the cold acclimation though. I've toughened up over the last 8 or so weeks. The ironic thing is the mental aspect is what I tell another RB when he wants to go fast downhill because his heart rate monitor says he isn't aerobic. If he comments on my run I'll throw some shots about how it didn't count when I was under 150 BPM. I guess the mental aspect I was THINKING I'd be training is dealing with the pace and uncomfortable body feeling but I quit when it got too hard.

residual chest pains today. I'm sure the weather helped it too. not the most comfortable thing. Maybe it was the 32 oz of coffee and energy drink before the run (over 4 hours. I'm not an animal) but I'm blaming the treadmill.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I'll trade you. GLADLY.

i mean, this was intentional and i certainly pay for it, haha. a cost i am happy to bear!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

The only work consideration is the station has a treadmill I can use at any time for free.  But I have been using that only when I get bored of my 4 in-town routes that I have available.  I think every other week would be a decent interval.  For the record the friday night I did little loops in the parking lot that was a rainy night, but I wasn't feeling the mistress.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

i mean, this was intentional and i certainly pay for it, haha. a cost i am happy to bear!

It's funny because I was recently reading about the effects of rent control and gentrification of the Mission District. Yeah, rain is expensive. 

A second side affect of this weather is they closed the freeway to California to semi-trucks. This means no deliveries to grocery stores. Happened once last year too. 3-4 days without a shipment makes it interesting to go shopping.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - Just signed up for CIM. Hopefully that cycle goes much better than this one. Excited to get out there though, looks like a great race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - 3-4 days without food shipments? That can be pretty scary, from what I've seen people typically don't have more food than that in the house. And some people consider civilization to be only 3 meals deep...

JMac - Are you going to make CIM a big goal race, or just for fun? Either way, there will probably be a lot of people from my area there. Not that I'll be one of them this year.

More sorry weather around here. Freezing rain overnight, a bit of snow this morning (that was never in the forecast), and we could get more of a winter mix through Monday. With all this ice I'm never going to get off the treadmill - I am glad I have it, though, since it beats sleeping in and getting fatter and more out of shape. Streaming movie recommendations, anyone??

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

I just watched Meru, which is the predecessor to Free Solo.  Enjoyed that one.

Others streamed recently was Tracktown (Alexi Pappas playing a slightly weirder Alexi Pappas).  And Obvious Child, which was Jenny Slate playing a weirder Alexi Pappas.  Sorry Jenny Slate playing a weirder Jenny Slate.  Not sure why I got in that rut but I just went with it.

All these were through Kanopy, not sure if they're available elsewhere.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

CIM will be a goal race. I'm excited to have 8 months between races this time, vs. the 5 I had between NYC and Boston, which I think is what led to so many injuries. Now I get to take some down time to build up strength/speed and get some good 5k/10k races in before picking marathon specific stuff back up in early September.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Just signed up for CIM. Hopefully that cycle goes much better than this one. Excited to get out there though, looks like a great race.

I'll bring the bread. Avocados practically grow on trees in California. What is the goal? Sub 2:40? Moose mug? Survive a trip to the sunshine state with some "less than imaginary" online friends (axe murdering reference from before you're time)?"

kyle yeah it can get pretty bare. We're doing spaghetti for dinner. Convenience of a wife growing up in a family of 6 or 7 and having a beer fridge converted to a garage fridge, and a freezer. Plenty of steaks to thaw for two people plus a mini me. I just watched a season of License to Drill. It's about Canadia oildrillers working in Louisana. I watch GARBAGE TV. Hope you get some better weather. Locally it's TRYING to be nice weather but just can't make up it's mind. Saturday's long run is a mix of snow and rain. manure.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Not even considering goals at this point. I tried to go for 2:39 in this cycle and just ran myself into the ground early on in the cycle. Have to see how Boston goes first, and then how the summer goes. Moose mug is off the table, that would be a 2:32 and that ain't happening any time soon (i.e. never)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Not even considering goals at this point. I tried to go for 2:39 in this cycle and just ran myself into the ground early on in the cycle. Have to see how Boston goes first, and then how the summer goes. Moose mug is off the table, that would be a 2:32 and that ain't happening any time soon (i.e. never)

Thing is, every year the Moose Mug standard gets a bit closer....  That's the beauty of it.

[note: I wrote closer, not easier....]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Moose mug is off the table, that would be a 2:32 and that ain't happening any time soon (i.e. never)

We already have a resident millennial. You can't come to the party late then try and take someone's seat at the table so stop complaining or I'll have to go all "Dad-like" (read old man) on you. Besides....with all that time off between races you'll have plenty of opportunities to avoid over training (read running in the summer time) injuries so you'll be 110% for CIM. California is a magical place where dreams come true. Just like in Disneyland and Hollywoodland.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

so stop complaining

I guess when you get older, you stop complaining about things, you know like how it's too windy to run right?