It is that time of year to ask the big question . . . (Read 2402 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

So how should I taper for my marathon?  Normally I know it is basically a 20% decrease for each week but with my unexpected heavy mileage I am not sure how to taper currently. 

I am on week 14 right now.  I included the three weeks prior so that you know what I am working off of.  The 2 miles days are my rest days.  I normally just do a two week taper but I was thinking of slowly bringing it down this week.  You should know I hate the taper period.  I just hate it.  I know you can't lose fitness at this point but that is easier said then done.  I want to stay sharp.  I feel good right now and the weather has just turned great for running! 

All of my runs will be easy except my Sunday runs which will include heavy hills.  I will most likely try to add some Marathon Pace in on Wen but after running the half this weekend I feel good about being able to handle the pace.  Any thoughts, concerns or advice? 

Week Mon Tue Wen Thur Fri Sat Sun Total
    11 8 16 18 18 8 4 20 92
    12 19 18 18 16 8 4 19.5 102.5
    13 12 18 18 18 6 2 16 90
    14 10 6 12 18 8 4 16 74
    15 2 6 10 18 2 10 13 61
    16 6 2 6 4 2 26.2 6 52

Current predictions (look another html table)

User Name          Predicted Finish time   
    L-Train 3:12:49  
    DB 3:14:41.3  
    Buckeye 3:16:30  
    Tchuck 3:17:28  
    Clive 3:18:43  
    Potatoe 3:21:01  
    Ilene 3:21:02  

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did you really really really take the time to create an HTML table?

Wow.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BCR has the best tweaks!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

...you know the answer as it applies to you already...just do it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The King of Beasts

BCR has the best tweaks!

I have to agree with Zoomy.

Bearclaw, that looks like a good plan.  one day is not going ot make a difference, but i would do some (maybe 6) 800's at half pace on tuesday instead of just an easy 2 miles.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Why the hate? Take the opposing viewpoint and embrace the taper. With some extra rest, you'll make those final deposits in the bank.

Run enough to stay fresh. Like A1 suggests, a lesser amount of faster intervals will help keep you sharp.

Don't be afraid to take 1-2 days off from running during your race week. Plan some non-running activities that you've been setting aside.

Relax dude. Don't reverse the positive gains you've made thus far. Feeling a little lethargic and gaining a pound or two is not uncommon.

You know this.

Prince of Fatness

BCR = BasketCaseRunner

Not at it at all. 

Good Luck on the BQ --- 3rd times a charm right!!

Are you running Columbus?   If so course is pretty darn easy compared to most .... Think like miles 18 and 24 were only ones with any extended uphills.

Damn if you can't make it on 100 mpw than their is always the 10 min "old man" bonus in a few yearsJoking 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Are you really planning on running 6 the day after?

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

* - HTML Table - Yes I care that much and because I can! 

* - I don't like it because as soon as the weather starts to turn perfect for running I go into running less miles.  I should be running more miles.  It is all mental.  I know I need to rest up.  I am just not very good at it. 

* - Running the Indianapolis Marathon.  I've heard it will be Epic.  Not a big fan of the Columbus one.  I don't like the loop idea and I feel like you are in the sun too much.  However, lots of people rave about it and I think you guys do a good job of putting it on.  I just like Indy better for some reason.  Maybe because my times have always been better there and not as many people.  The fire trucks with the flags and the sun rising before the start is very cool as well. 

You would think with these sort of miles if I can't get 3:20 I should just give up and if I don't I just might.  Thanks for the added pressure. 

* - Yeah 6 miles after the marathon.  You are probably right.  I should run more miles but I was thinking that I should ease up a little. 

* - Potatoe head, nice one.  Aren't you on a 3 month taper?  Glad to see you are back up and running a little bit.  L-Train seems to be kicking some serious butt right now and we might need you to bring him back down to earth for us. 

2011 Goals:

Prince of Fatness

* - Potatoe head, nice one.  Aren't you on a 3 month taper?  Glad to see you are back up and running a little bit.  L-Train seems to be kicking some serious butt right now and we might need you to bring him back down to earth for us. 

Thanks, but I'm a long way away from being in any kind of shape to talk any racing smack, unless L Train decides to become fat, drunk, and stupid in the foreseeable future.

Seriously, good luck with your race.  You put in the work now just go do it.

Not at it at all. 

Isnt Indy still 6 weeks out (like Nov 6) ... Your schedule looks like running 10/16.

I was actually going to run Indy this year instead of Columbus as looked like a good race and wanted to try something new .... unforetunately have been out of commision with achillis / PF issues.  Still not supposed to run but a nice 60 degree drizzly day seems to be calling me for a little .5 - 1 mile test drive.

I predict 3:16:30!!!

-----------------

mta --- See they still have the two fall marathons 3 weeks apart.  I thought I read they had moved one to the Spring....which would seem to make sense.

mta 2 -- Holy Dizzy Running Bearcat .... That course is a lot different then the 11/6 race.  Looks like would be good for viewing as you twist/turn back through start area like 4 times??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Why is it sideways?

The good thing about being really well trained is that you don't have to worry so much about the taper. Your plan looks good, BCR, and your training is impressive. The point of the taper is to enter the race rested, both mentally and physically, and fired up to RACE. Do whatever you need to do over the next three weeks to get yourself to that point.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Isnt Indy still 6 weeks out (like Nov 6) ... Your schedule looks like running 10/16.

I was actually going to run Indy this year instead of Columbus as looked like a good race and wanted to try something new .... unforetunately have been out of commision with achillis / PF issues.  Still not supposed to run but a nice 60 degree drizzly day seems to be calling me for a little .5 - 1 mile test drive.

-----------------

mta --- See they still have the two fall marathons 3 weeks apart.  I thought I read they had moved one to the Spring....which would seem to make sense.

mta 2 -- Holy Dizzy Running Bearcat .... That course is a lot different then the 11/6 race.  Looks like would be good for viewing as you twist/turn back through start area like 4 times??

Yeah they have two different marathons in the fall.  I ran both last year.  I like the first one better.  However, the Monumental (2nd one) had wind gust of like 40 MPH on the way back and just pissed me off. 

Sorry to hear about the injury.  Might be better to test drive on dry payment.  Don't want to slip and make things worse right.  Better yet go to a track and you can always stop at any .25 mile point.

Nah you don't go through the start 4 times.  The start is a little crowded and it winds around some streets but it is not very long.  I plan to be towards the front so not to many people should be in my way.  Plus the have Corals this year.  Will be my first time every doing that. 

3:16:30 huh.  I know I should be happy with such a time but I would be a little disappointed in anything under 3:15.  Of course I depend on a lot of things I can't control like how I feel and the weather. 

2011 Goals:
                              L Train

I say he does better than this.