3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Just a dude.

Whoa.  I missed that you have shed so much weight.  That's one heck of a progression!

September 13, 2013 I was 281 lbs. Which is kind of embarrasing to admit.

2 years ago I had some heart issues and had a pacemaker implanted. They put me on heart meds that made running horrible. When it was everything I could do to just finish a 4 miler, I just quit. I ate like a pig and did nothing. I didn't realize at the time that my meds were adjustable and that I could work something out to stay in shape. I'm now at 1/8th the dosage I was then, and doing much better...

Thanks all!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

C-R

Good stuff KD!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

September 13, 2013 I was 281 lbs. Which is kind of embarrasing to admit.

2 years ago I had some heart issues and had a pacemaker implanted. They put me on heart meds that made running horrible. When it was everything I could do to just finish a 4 miler, I just quit. I ate like a pig and did nothing. I didn't realize at the time that my meds were adjustable and that I could work something out to stay in shape. I'm now at 1/8th the dosage I was then, and doing much better...

Thanks all!

-Kelly

I remember this now.  I'm so glad to hear it's working out for you and you are back to steady running.  I really admire the impressive weight loss, that's some real dedication.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thats inspiring KD!

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Had a few good workouts recently. But, yesterday managed 4 miles in the heat: 542, 536, 539, 536.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Last week, managed two time trials on the treadmill to gauge fitness. One mile in 5:42, and 3.1 miles in 18:26.  I figure I will try for 10 miles in 65 minutes, this weekend.

The goal is to run a 2:28 marathon in a year.  Which means 35 more lbs of weight loss, and about 2% improvement in those time trials each month, for 10 months.  Perhaps far fetched and aggressive, but I might as well go for a goal that is challenging.

Feeling the growl again

Last week, managed two time trials on the treadmill to gauge fitness. One mile in 5:42, and 3.1 miles in 18:26.  I figure I will try for 10 miles in 65 minutes, this weekend.

The goal is to run a 2:28 marathon in a year.  Which means 35 more lbs of weight loss, and about 2% improvement in those time trials each month, for 10 months.  Perhaps far fetched and aggressive, but I might as well go for a goal that is challenging.

Challenging indeed; best of luck to you.  What is your current PR?

FWIW it took me 7 months to get from 2:53 to 2:37 (2:53 was a bonk, should have been mid-2:40s) and then 18 months to get from 2:37 to 2:29.  I'm hoping it's easier the second time as I'd like to get from my current 2:46 to 2:27 11 months from now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Have a feeling that justaguy is an old timer who no longer visits much here.  Hunch based on the time and weight loss goals.

Feeling the growl again

Have a feeling that justaguy is an old timer who no longer visits much here.  Hunch based on the time and weight loss goals.

If such person is who we think it is, a welcome back would be in order...

If such person is who we think it is, a welcome back would be in order...

No welcome back. But hunches may be correct (as I have indeed met some of you here), and an old timer...with time, yes. However,  I am cautiously optimistic as the legs feel fantastic.  Training while fat + effort*speed = ++speed - fat. That's the only secret weapon in the silver lining of fatness.  Right now, Alex Ratelle is my hero (who tended to fat when not training)

Feeling the growl again

No welcome back. But hunches may be correct (as I have indeed met some of you here), and an old timer...with time, yes. However,  I am cautiously optimistic as the legs feel fantastic.  Training while fat + effort*speed = ++speed - fat. That's the only secret weapon in the silver lining of fatness.  Right now, Alex Ratelle is my hero (who tended to fat when not training)

Well then welcome and we follow your progress with interest.  Anytime I see sub-2:30 bandied about I'm watching with great attention.  When weight loss and shortiish timelines are involved it is true Hurtlocker material.

Just a dude.

Man, I must have a huge advantage then. Just snuck a peek at your log, and I am both slower and fatter... ;-)

Welcome, welcome back, or just howdie howdie...

-Kelly

Some great goals being talked about here - I'd love to see 2 x sub 2:30 marathons in the next year from the Hurtlocker crew.  Welcome justaguy and good luck with the refocus.

& amazing progress Kelly - very inspiring - keep the momentum up.

After a little navel gazing after a rocky month or so for me, I've started training for my October marathon and am already feeling a bit better than I have recently (thanks to ken for a previous post about resetting and building to a new peak – I’ve started doing just that).

Popped out this lunchtime and managed a solid 17:47 5k high-end tempo effort without a great deal of strain and didn't seem to have the fade I've been getting recently in my faster runs.  Fingers crossed.

To get something on record I’m going for a sub 6 minute marathon in October (sub 2:37) which I think is achievable with a good build-up.

Walk-Jogger

Wow, what a nice day here, and what a nice run I had. So nice it's worth a mention. This was one of those rare days when everything is just right. I took yesterday off to rest my stale legs and sore feet, and today my feet were nearly fine when I rolled out of bed, and the tightness in my ITB was gone. We have sunshine, blue skies, very little wind, not much pollen, NO diesel fumes in the air (it's Sunday). The air temps started out a bit cool for me at 62F, but with full sun an no real wind, not a problem. It warmed up to 66F while I was running  which is the ideal temp for me, and the running was easy at a sub-7 pace. I passed 5 runners going in the other direction, they were from the running club in the next town over (Moscow, ID) and were headed back towards Moscow. I got a shout out and high five's from all of them, which made the run worth it right there! Lots of other folks out walking, running  and biking on the trail, so I had good company all the way, but never so much that it felt crowded. My goal for the flat 10 miles was to run easy and go <1:10:00 if it was easy. I finished in 1:08:46 with an easy run and a fast final mile and a sprint finish. What an absolutely perfect day and perfect run. And those, my friends, are a very rare thing for this cold-blooded old fart . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

Wow, what a nice day here, and what a nice run I had. So nice it's worth a mention. This was one of those rare days when everything is just right. I took yesterday off to rest my stale legs and sore feet, and today my feet were nearly fine when I rolled out of bed, and the tightness in my ITB was gone. We have sunshine, blue skies, very little wind, not much pollen, NO diesel fumes in the air (it's Sunday). The air temps started out a bit cool for me at 62F, but with full sun an no real wind, not a problem. It warmed up to 66F while I was running  which is the ideal temp for me, and the running was easy at a sub-7 pace. I passed 5 runners going in the other direction, they were from the running club in the next town over (Moscow, ID) and were headed back towards Moscow. I got a shout out and high five's from all of them, which made the run worth it right there! Lots of other folks out walking, running  and biking on the trail, so I had good company all the way, but never so much that it felt crowded. My goal for the flat 10 miles was to run easy and go <1:10:00 if it was easy. I finished in 1:08:46 with an easy run and a fast final mile and a sprint finish. What an absolutely perfect day and perfect run. And those, my friends, are a very rare thing for this cold-blooded old fart . . .

Very nice. I love those days. Wish they were far more often...

-Kelly