Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies are out of half and half (Read 36 times)

happylily

I have yet to reach your level of training, madam.

hahaha... Good one.

Me think you're on a mission to show me how inadequately I've been training.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

In an off-leash dog park? That is where I run.

Zel, sic your dogs on all those mean guys who want to keep your little buddies restrained. Freedom for all!

happylily

Okay, I ran 5 recovery miles earlier today and I did 30 minutes of lifting.

My son: "Wow... those are light weights"

Me: "Shut up."

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Dogs should be on a leash. Period.

Yep

i had to stop for a guy to get his little yippee dog today and he took his time. I wasn't doing speed work at the time but still annoying when you are concentrated on what you are doing.

Marjorie

DavePNW

Zel, sic your dogs on all those mean guys who want to keep your little buddies restrained. Freedom for all!

I think cyclists should be on a leash too.

Dave

happylily

I think cyclists should be on a leash too.

And sour quinquagenarians too.

Another 5 at recovery. This one felt better than the one earlier.

GinnyinPA

In an off-leash dog park? That is where I run.

You must have a huge dog park.  The ones I've visited are just little caged areas, about 1/10 to 1/2 of an acre.  No running there, except for the dogs.  We stopped taking Ben to dog parks because he hated them.  He'd get all stressed out and want to leave as soon as possible.

Ben stays on leash at all times when we are walking him, so I thought dog parks would be fun for him.  Unfortunately, he never learned to like other dogs.

GinnyinPA

I only managed 4.5 while fighting the dread poo monster.  Fortunately I found a  POP at a construction site midway so I made it home without embarrassment.

Zelanie

Ginny, glad you made it home OK.

What we have are parks with designated off-leash trails. By my house, there are two parks thay connect that I run through. You have to have your dogs on leash by the playground and on the path by the sports fields spring-fall. There are trails that go around all of that, and those are off-leash. It's a much less stressful way for dogs to interact than in a caged park, IMO.

What I would say to the rest of you haters Wink is not to paint all dog owners and dogs with the same brush just because you've had bad interactions with some. Like I said, my dogs are close to me, under voice command, and trained to come to heel when called. They get complements when they're out pretty regularly.

Cyberic

Dogs should be on a leash. Period.

Sometimes it can as bad. They have these like 50 feet leashes now, and with those sometimes it's not only the dog and the owner, but the whole area between them that is off limits!

Little kids also have hard to predict running and biking patterns and can get in the way, but the law has yet to be voted to keep them on a short leash Big grin

Hip Redux

Ginny, glad you made it home OK.

What we have are parks with designated off-leash trails. By my house, there are two parks thay connect that I run through. You have to have your dogs on leash by the playground and on the path by the sports fields spring-fall. There are trails that go around all of that, and those are off-leash. It's a much less stressful way for dogs to interact than in a caged park, IMO.

What I would say to the rest of you haters Wink is not to paint all dog owners and dogs with the same brush just because you've had bad interactions with some. Like I said, my dogs are close to me, under voice command, and trained to come to heel when called. They get complements when they're out pretty regularly.

The problem is 90% of dog owners who have their dogs off leash really shouldn't and say things like "Oh but he's friendly" as he charges my dog.  Most people have NO CLUE about dog behavior.  So unfortunately for the small minority who can actually keep their dogs under voice control, that's why there are leash laws.     A legal off leash dog park is fine - I have the option to not go there.  But outside of that, dogs need to be on leash.

I've had my dog attacked by a "oh but he's friendly" dog as we were standing on the sidewalk.  Many hundred dollars worth of emergency vet care, two drains, and dozens of stitches kinda makes me a little cynical about folks who think their dogs need to free roam.

DavePNW

And sour quinquagenarians too.

Not only a leash, but also a muzzle.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

LRB- Oh my goodness..... I didn't realize I missed a PR by 20 seconds until you pointed it out. Doh! I wasn't thinking about it, to be honest, and didn't actually remember what my 10 mile PR WAS while I was running. I have never raced a 10 miler all out (my 10 mile PR pace is about a minute per mile slower than my half pace) so the PR wasn't too important to me. Still, had I realized I was so close I would have pushed a little harder maybe....it would have been nice to PR something even if it wasn't all out, I haven't PRed any distance in over a year.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to