Masters Running

TGIF the 25th of June - oh happy day! (Read 609 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning and Happy Belated Anniversary Erika!!

I got up a little late this morning, and after having a 1/2 cup of coffee decided to get in my scheduled 3 miler.  I left the Brinkster at home because I just wanted to go slow and take it easy today.   Well, that idea changed immediately because it just felt so cool outside and everything felt right, so I decided to see what I could do without Brinkley pulling me along, taking time for pitstops etc.    I am happy to report all sub-10 miles. 

9:59 / 9:27 / 9:26 - 9:38 avg. - 165 avg HR    Woo Hoo!!  

I hope things got ironed out for you last night Holly.

Jlynne - are you out there??

TW - so happy to read that Pickles is doing well.   Thanks for asking about her Holly.

Have a great day everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

3 very nice miles this morning.  57° and the walkers were out in full sweats!  Hoping for a less hectic day today. 

There's supposed to be a partial lunar eclipse tomorrow morning in parts of the country.  So if your out at the right time and see a shadow on the moon, you don't have to worry.  And let me know what you see.  (I think it is going to be cloudy here.)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice run Mary.

You too Dave.

I didn't run today.  Just a sweat filled lifting , stepping, and spinning day.  Spin class was full.  That's a rarity for June.

Tomorrow I have a blood donation scheduled (7 am).  I think I will be crossing a picket line to give.  That's a conflict of interest. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tomorrow I have a blood donation scheduled (7 am).  I think I will be crossing a picket line to give.  That's a conflict of interest. 

Picketing the Red Cross??  Go figure.

Back from NC, where it was at least 98 during the day.  Needless to say there was no running involved.  We're taking advantage of the lousy real estate market around there, and our two site managers have rented a nice little place for the duration of the project.  3 BR plus an apartment, located between a golf course and Lake Norman (Direct view off the front porch ).  for a lot less than staying in a hotel.  Plus all the temporary visitors stay in the extra bedrooms and save even more hotel costs.  The only drawback is that it doesn't have an exersice room.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP wrote: 

DW and I are getting ready for a weekend "Staycation"

With Leslie's help, I worte her a poem to read between Batman movies:

My Dearest DW

My dearest DW

I really realy Lubaya

When I see how hot you are

Even when you are really far

My heart gets to tickin

Like when it gets clogged with deep friend chicken.

I wrote this poem for you

I like ripe honeydew.

There's no plagiarism

So you won't see me in prison

My love for you is as large as my profound proboscis

When you wear a Black Ribbed Batman tank top, I get the fever like mononucleosis.

Steve, your wife’s a lucky woman......

Erika - Happy Anniversary!!

Mary – nice run today!

DH and I (on speaking terms again...for now....) are taking off tomorrow morning for a weekend at Put-in-Bay, a village on South Bass Island on Lake Erie (roughly 3.5 hour drive north).  We’ll be leaving the kids with family and meeting several friends for an “adult” weekend – something we have only done once since the kids have been born, when I ran Boston in 2008.

With that in mind, I got up a 4am today to do my LR before work.  14 miles in 66° and 91%, with miles 3, 5, 7, 9 at (8:40, 8:24, 8:41, 8:46), and the rest of the miles in the 10:XX range.

And yes, I'm taking my running clothes (DH rolled his eyes when I told him)...you never know, I might just have time for a run on the shore Sunday morning while everyone else is sleeping off their revelry....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...yeah steve, how many husbands can even spell ''mononucleosis''....

=======

been up since 6-am

chasing Claire,

doing Spinning Tops, watching slides, chasing our kitties,,,,,,debating over poop-diaper changes, and drinking 'Nanna Milkshakes.

THEN, at 6:15. . . .

help.

...............poolrun after work.......

....we've got her til Sunday

...........................good running guys...................looking forward to Sunday..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice run there Mary.

I've been a bit busy and haven't posted much lately. Travel, work and life getting in the way. Only got just over 19 miles last week but on pace to get 35 or so this week. I guess the rest helped, my paces are way up this week, especially the last 2 days.Tempo run yesterday after front squats and back squats went better than I thought with an avg 8:12 pace:

Mile 1:                         8:53

Mile 2:                         8:14                                    

Mile 3:                         7:58                                              

Mile 4:                         7:56                       

Mile 5:                         7:49                                             

Cooldown: 0.62 Mi   5:07

Weights this morning followed by a moderate 4.5 miles. Thought I'd feel tired after yesterday but nope. More comfortable this morning after the T-storms chased out the muggies yesterday and my Garmin showed lots of 8:00s, 8:15s, 7:30s during the run. But it felt easy for an 8:40 pace or so. 

I also signed up for the weight loss challenge at the Y. $10 gets you in. $200 in the pot with 2 winners in September. One winner for most weight lost, one winner for % lost. Maybe I have a shot at the % one. My weigh-in this morning was 165.8. But i thought it was a bit unfair since I had lifted weights for 45 minutes and then ran 4.5 miles before weighing in. I'll be 3-5 lbs heavier by the end of the day. Oh well. I now have a little motivation to get to 155.

But I think a Dark & Stormy is on tap for tonight. I gotta craving.

MTA: Holly, nice job getting up at 4 to get the long run in. Earliest I've done has been 4:30. I'm tempted to try that tomorrow morning since my wife is working and leaves ~ 6am. I'd rather it be done than do it Sunday morning. Then I can have my Dark & Stormy Saturday night.

Henrun

We ran a 5 mile race last evening along a beautiful south Boston marina course last evening with views of the Boston skyline along the way. There were a few hills in the middle but it was mostly flat. However, it was 90° at the start with rain downpours and the threat of a tornado, or at least high winds. The rain stopped just as we started but the humidity was intense and thunder roared and some lightning appeared. Needless to say, the weather kept a number of people away. We finished with unimpressive times but, because the old folks stayed away (wise or wimps?), we both finished 2/2 in our age groups. At least there was good food and beer at the finish.               

This morning I attempted (as the temp and humidity diminished) to go out for a short recovery run. My legs felt like lead weights and after 1/4 mile I walked back home. In a few hours I'll attempt to bike downtown to hear some music.

Good Morning, Everyone -

I'll have to go back and peruse the dailies, but for now I just want to say how proud I feel to have been a part of Steve's beautiful and touching poem.  Every woman should be so lucky (wiping a small tear from corner of eye.)

We arrived in Squaw Valley late afternoon on Wednesday.  What a beautiful place!  Karen, Kate, and I went for a nice 5 miler yesterday morning, and then the 4 of us took the tram to the top of the mountain to participate in a pre-race ceremony, which was really cool.  At the beginning of the ceremony, they sing "America, the Beautiful."  The guy running the ceremony says, "Do we have a music teacher or a musician here?  Someone who could lead us in the singing?"  My friend, Karen, and her sister, Kate, literally push me out and say, "She will!"  Ooookay (yes, I sing, but . . . .).  Anyway, I get in front and say, "You gotta love your friends."  In the end, it was pretty cool since I got to be a part of the ceremony.

I'm having a hard time with the altitude, though, which is unfortunate.  Ended up with a blistering headache once we arrived at the summit (approx 8200 feet) that stayed with me the rest of the day.  Hoping today goes better.

Me, Karen, Kate (our WS runner), Rodney

Gorgeous!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Lovely picture fatoozigg...running at that altitude must be hard. Enjoy the adventure.

Batman, your poem brought tears to my eyes...

Erika, happy anniversary. 

Holly, my friends also think I am obsessive about my running, and they are right...if I were not I would be up at 4:30 to fit in an 8 miler this morning . Anyway those same friends are the ones who always comment on my well treamed and elegant figure....

...for me it is normally pay back time during the summer months when we hang out all together around the lake or the pool....yeah...my running obsession allows me to still be able to wear a two piece bathing suit. ...just saying...

Enjoy your weekend away.

Make it great folks!!! last day of work before the weekend!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

zigzie - thanks for the first of many posts we're looking forward to  this weekend.

yup, that one did sound like you're having fun, especially leading the singing. fantastic.

I love Squaw Valley too. 

will you be singing to Kate along the way?

what miles are you crewing?

---

except for all my RA friends, few, if anyone, knows I run so much either.

-----

jtv's in town and, if they let him off work at some reasonable hour today, we'll be meeting divechief at the expo at the end of the day  (maybe get lucky and see francesca too) to decide on an appropriate carbo-loading venue for dave's second Seattle  RnR Marathon. .  A certain place with a pink door has been mentioned but, based on the sushi stop dave and I made on the way to the Newport Marathon, I may try to divert him  to a nearby sushi stop here too.  I know 'em all, that's for sure.

Dave'll be needing all the help he can get as he's a little nervous for not getting in his standard thousand miles of pre-marathon training he's used to with various fartlcks, speedo's, progressives, and all the other training Fitzinger usually has him do.  He's not sure the 26.2 miles he ran in Newport at the beginning of the month is enough to do it again but, for some of the Marathon Maniacs, the previous marathon is all they do for the next  one anyway.  Maybe I'll try to hide his garmink too. Smile   . . . .. where are my shoes, anyway? 

----

ps mari - it's a little too cloudy now but, if it clears up, the season's first midnight madness full moon swims will

be underway this weekend at a certain secluded Lake Washington park.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

jtv

jtv's in town and, if they let him off work at some reasonable hour today, we'll be meeting divechief at the expo at the end of the day  (maybe get lucky and see francesca too) to decide on an appropriate carbo-loading venue for dave's second Seattle  RnR Marathon. .  A certain place with a pink door has been mentioned but, based on the sushi stop dave and I made on the way to the Newport Marathon, I may try to divert him  to a nearby sushi stop.

Dave'll be needing all the help he can get as he's a little nervous for not getting in his standard thousand miles of pre-marathon training he's used to with various fartlcks, speedo's, progressives, and all the other training Fitzinger usually has him do.  He's not sure the 26.2 miles he ran in Newport at the beginning of the month is enough to do it again but, for some of the Marathon Maniacs, the previous marathon is all they do for the next  on anyway.  Maybe I'll try to hide his garmink too. Smile  

----

Off to work now.  Hoping for a short day (since it's been a long week).  If so Tet/Dave - I'll see you at the expo. 

Good luck to all the weekend racers.

Have fun at Put-in-Bay Holly, I went there a few times when I was a kid.

TammyinGP

I was hoping to see a checkin from Leslie today and was happy to see the pics also! Very cool that you got to be part of opening ceremonies!

I can relate to Erika and Holly's husbands. . . mine is similar (although he would never even do what Peter does and drive places to bring me water, etc.) . . . he gets annoyed when my mileage gets up there (which for me, is nothing compared to most of you - I'm talking like 35+mpw), gets frustrated when I head out for long runs each Saturday morning, and yet when I run a marathon, he brags on me to his friends and tells me how proud he is of me and then says I should try to qualify for Boston - yet to do so, would certainly mean I would have to train more than I do in prep for a marathon. He's an enigma at times.

SteveP - you have just proven to me once again, that all the thoughtful romantic types are taken. Your wife is one lucky woman. Did you get her a Batman shirt for your anniversary?

hopefully it'll be a short day for me at work (so I guess that means, I should actually get to work!), as I hope to get a few things done that I have to do today before leaving for a few days. Heading up to the mountains tomorrow a.m. for 4 days with 66 middle/high schoolers, for running camp.

Tammy

Yup, Steve's wife is a lucky one...... I think.

Dave, good luck on the marathon.  Can't believe it's been a year since the inaugural Seattle RnR.

My DH tolerates my running, watches the kids on the weekend when I'm gone for a long run, but still thinks it is a bit obsessive.   But he also knows if I don't run for a few days I get irritable, then he encourages me to go out (before I was a runner he'd tell me to have a drink!)  Like Tammy's DH, it is a solo event for me, he would never come to a race or support me on a course.  And I am trying to get the kids to start jogging with me....still working on that.  It is a good base for other sports....that is my selling point for DS.

I don't know what happened but at 5:30 I just couldn't get up and slept in again.....9 hours!  It was heavenly.  I will have to RAD.  My mileage is going down the toilet without the discipline to get up early.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yup, Steve's wife is a lucky one...... I think.

Well of course she is--and don't forget, she's Human #2 to Tag, the wonderdawg. 

Go Dave!  Have fun, and you'll be fine.

Woo hoo, Mary, indeed!

Y'all have inspired me--it was just going to be a gym day, but I think I'll get into step and go run 3 beforehand.  My 11 am cancelled .

Oh, and EGH3 posted this: "I've been a bit busy and haven't posted much lately. Travel, work and life getting in the way."  .......Not to mention a nearly 5 hour Pedey extravaganza last night!  I love that kid.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles