Masters Running

Thu July 24 Runs and Musings (Read 618 times)

Mariposai

No Dead not the news we wanted to hear. Hally, please keep pestering with your calls to SR and The Saint so you can keep bringing us an update on how they are doing.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Holly, I hope the trial gym membership works out well. Also, it's got to be tough when the sports doc says you need another week without running. And another also, I got a kick out of your daughter's dog and cat adventure. It was nice to see posts from WRFB and PDR yesterday (and today). btb, thanks for the Amy update and pictures. breger, your speeding story was good. Tall that was a fine race with 5th OA and 2nd in AG. Nice long runs for craneium, biketm (only you would consider 14 miles satisfying your doctor friends suggestion to take it easy), CNY, WRFB, PDR, biketm (again), Peter, Tramps, and craneium (again and this time in the rain). Good job on the speedwork for BC and maine. This morning, it was about 60, failrly calm and clear. I got in 5 miles. I made a bathroom stop during the second mile and decided to test out the auto pause on my Garmin rather than manually stopping the watch. I don't know if it was going inside or something about the way auto pause works, but it kept starting and stopping the time rather than having it stopped the whole time. Therefore, the time for my second mile was screwed up. However, for the other 4 miles, I had a total time of a bit under 38:30 for a 9:36 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
      busiman

Running out of mistakes!

btb, thanks for posting the pics and update on Amy...what a cutie! I hope all goes smoothly for spareribs today. After glancing at the radar I realized that the rain was not going ease up much this morning, so out I went for an 8-miler. About half of the run was sunny and the other half was torrential downpours. For the most part I kept a 7:30 pace, not as fast as yesterdays run. I just love running in the rain, so if I didn't have to go to work, I would have run for hours. When I got home I realized my rain-soaked clothes must have weighed an extra 5-8 pounds. :-P Enjoy your day!
        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
        also on Twitter
          Tom - you can set the pace at which the autopause kicks in. A slow walk, or almost completely still. So if you set it for 30 min/mile it will not keep starting and stopping like it will at 20 min/mile. That sucks about Ribs. I hope the recovery is smooth. Oh yeah, no run again for me today, too busy. It's been a long time since I took 3 days off in a row. Hopefully I will find some speed waiting for me tomorrow. I had anxiety dreams last night about the Ragnar relay. Some people didn't show up on time and I had to run their sections, boy was I tired after that.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

dg.

hi everyone Holly, I loved the basket story too. I'll never get caught up! Mary... too bad this is your cutback week. Nono, maybe time for a movie? I have loose ligaments too, but not in my feet! how'd you do that? Oh, that's definitely not what we wanted to hear!! Ilene, I was wondering the same thing.... Hally, did they go ahead & clear it? Thanks for the update. Twocat, I was thinking the same thing. Well, nice run. btw, you kept me entertained the other day while i was on the elliptical. thinking about my adventure run. Wink. I took today as a total rest day. Yesterday was small... 12 on the elliptical (Twocat, I found out I warm up better), a 3.5 mile run & the stability ball stuff. My hamstrings (in honor of ribs) were sore & I was trying to be careful. DickyG, thanks so much for your kind words the other day! I took my Polar hrm & strap to their 'care center' yesterday. I got a call this morning that they are shipping it to New York for warranty work... They were getting inconsistent readings. --- maybe those awful hr numbers i have are wrong. {{{ Ribs & family }}}

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin, gotcha last!
              Thanks SR but with age being my only advantage on you, I’m hoping to get there first and get the fast genes before you. In fact, I think I'll forego running today for you. Let me know if you need any extra taper days; I have 25 so far for this month and 184 YTD I can give you..
              They were not able to do the stent, it just was not a viable place to put one where it was needed.
              Thanks hally. private message to the saint -check with aamos and get a new doctor for our buddy
              I got a butterfly mini skirt as a gift from a friend this morning. I think I will wear it for my first leg of the race tomorrow.The comfortable Old Sweaters rocks!!!!!!!!!!
              konnichi wa, chocho-san - with this weekend bein’ a scorcher, even large sweaters might feel tight so keep’ ‘em loose, . . . if at all. <>midnightmadness/midnightmadness) ps - no particular reasons, but what legs are you not wearing the miniskirt?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Afternoon all, Another nice daybreak 5 mile run for me this morning. Paul
                  Stuck my nose in here and have to say I really enjoyed reading your posts! Cool

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tom - you can set the pace at which the autopause kicks in. A slow walk, or almost completely still. So if you set it for 30 min/mile it will not keep starting and stopping like it will at 20 min/mile.
                    Speaking of Garmins, and I am a relatively new user.....what does "pace smoothing" mean and it asks if you want it most or least (I think there are 4 or 5 options) Anyone know what I am talking about, and what I should have mine set at...manual didn't address this function. Thanks, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Sorry guys, I had that backwards. If you set the Garmin to autopause at 20 min/mile, and take a potty break, it should not keep starting and stopping. I think the autopause on my brain is set pretty high, or low, or upside down or something or other.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Speaking of Garmins, and I am a relatively new user.....what does "pace smoothing" mean and it asks if you want it most or least (I think there are 4 or 5 options)
                        Tim, that's used when it is trying to calculate your "current" pace reading. However, the current pace feature doesn't work worth a darn anyway, so it probably doesn't matter how you set it. More smoothing should give you a more accurate reading with lower responsiveness, but if you try it you'll still see your pace wandering up and down all over the place. I find the "current lap pace" gives me the best indication of how I'm doing. I have the autolap set to 1-mile intervals, so I get the pace within the current mile that I'm running. This lets the Garmin calculate my pace over a longer distance, making it more accurate once I've gone a hundred yards or so since the last lap mark. Not the best news from SR, and shows how no heart surgery is ever "routine". We'll have to wait to hear more while hoping for the best.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, here's what I found about pace smoothing: "Pace Smoothing averages your displayed pace over a certain amount of time to avoid errors in GPS position and speed due to varying satellite signal reception. When you turn on or increase pace smoothing, the pace displayed on your Forerunner is steadier (which means fewer large jumps)." I've been wondering about this too, as another relatively new Garmin user. I noticed that after I crested a hill and started running fast down the other side, the Garmin said my pace was 11:something, which couldn't have been right. But it was averaging over a longer period so it was still using a lot of my uphill pace in the average. If I decrease the setting it'll probably show the transition from uphill to downhill pace sooner, but might have weird spikes due to satellite signals. I guess we'll have to experiment.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Good running everyone. I sure hope Ribs gets things figured out. I spent a couple days at Cedar Point amusement park (with part of the family), spinning high into the air, going 120mph straight up 400 feet, etc. I did notice I was probably the oldest person in the line for the big rides. Maybe it's time to grow up and lay around the pool like the rest of the old folks while the kids ride. Today it's back to work which is worse than usual. And an easy 3 mile run in my new shoes (Brooks Trance 8). I was too tired to try for any more than that.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Aamos, people in Maine are always quick to point out that the west coast town was named after ours! Doesn't help much, though. People still assume we're in Oregon. Once I went through a long call to reserve a car for my parents here, and emphasized, "Portland, MAINE" about three times, and the woman still got it wrong. Lots of rain here today, so I ran on the Y treadmill while two of my kids played in the pool. I decided to run 30 minutes (2.74 miles) and then stop for a walking break around the indoor track to evaluate my ankle. It felt OK, so I ran another 25:30, for a total of 5 miles. I guess the best way to describe how my ankle is doing is to say it doensn't HURT, but it feels irritated. No swelling. I think I'll keep taking pretty good breaks between each run for a little while longer. Thinking about Spareribs and praying for his family and his doctors. Hang in there!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I did notice I was probably the oldest person in the line for the big rides. Maybe it's time to grow up and lay around the pool like the rest of the old folks while the kids ride.
                                That's just crazy talk! I too am hoping all is okay with Rib's and thinking of him and his family today.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com