Masters Running

Saturday April 11 Celebration Runs (Read 388 times)

Congratulations, Stevie Ray!! Did 11.70 miles in the Arcata Community Forest today, my longest trail run in well over a month. Egads! Shocked And because Karen (my running buddy) is getting ready for a very hilly 50k next month, we did a lot of climbing. Double Egads!! Shocked Shocked Coach Bil showed up for about half of what I had left to do, and by the time we got back to the cars, my legs were seriously torched. Holy crappola. Karen had 22 on her schedule today, Bill about 10 I think, so I bid them fond farewell, happy to be going home. All I want to do right now is take a nice long nap. Unfortunately, I have transcription work to do, and we're going to the roller derby tonight. That should be fun! Speaking of transcription - I just got a butt load of it from the Public Defender's Office for some murder trial. So far, 7 standard size tapes with more to come, and I have no idea how long each tape is 'cause they rewound them to the beginning. The County has authorized no more than $300 for transcription purposes. Guess what my total bill is going to come to?? Smile Okay - gotta get some work done. Have a great weekend, peeps!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

A short run this morning, according to my Polar, 3.25 miles, 9:02 average pace, 7:25 max. Didn't wear HR strap. Officially a 9:15 pace, 1 in AG but only because it was totally cherry picked & so it doesn't mean a thing!
      Didn't mean a thing? You run your VERY FIRST RACE EVER and win 1st AG!! YAYYY!!!!! GREAT JOB!!! Stevie Ray - Yay for you, too!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

DG, you so rock sistah..... YOUR FIRST race and took FIRST PLACE. Congrats. I am so proud of you. Final dress rehearsal. 10 miles with 6@marathon pace. The 17mph wind may not seem much, but when trying to run at MP was enough for my wings to curse the wing a time or two Undecided I am pretty happy with this outing. I nailed my MP pace to the second at every single mile. Now....will I be able to keep that pace miles after relentless miles? that remains to be seeingRoll eyes

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yeah Deb--no sneaking in first races as an "oh, BTW" note on the daily. I don't care if it's your birthday--we want details. Fashion report, picture of the hardware, description of the sprint to the finish, etc.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Walt, I'm thinking often of your and your lovely Ellie. Thanks for popping in there and giving us the progress reports! {{{{ }}}} Rochrunner, sounds like a well-deserved medal! dg, 1st in AG is AWESOME!!! Was this really your first race??!!! How exciting! enke, hang in there! Coming back from crud is always tough. Sad srl, WAY TO GO! I'm in awe! Well, Renee and I got out to the sand and splashed around in the puddles left from the huge soaking rain we got overnight. Did a total of 5 mi all at base pace, which isn't bad considering how spongy/sticky the sand was in some places and the wind on the way back. Yeah, I ran out of the wind first. There were these two nut-dogs (unaccompanied by humans) on the beach playing chicken with a huge pickup truck that were into the wind. So out-of-the-wind was the choice! I don't really mind coming home into the wind, as I'm usually warmed up at that point and overall more comfortable. Now to make dinner. Tonight is shrimp sauteed in rum, onions and a mango/coconut sauce, which then is put in a wrap with fresh raw spinach.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg, It was nice to see you at the race this morning. I'm glad to see you mentioned it here but agree with the others who would like more details. If I can write a separate report on my mediocre races you can write one for your first race and AG win. Since you outed yourself, I feel I can jump on the bandwagon. I enjoyed our visiting and think you did fantastic. I still think it is a big deal. I trust you got thawed out and still have a big smile on your face. Put your trophy on the mantel (if you have one) and think of starting a trophy case. wildchild, I'm glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital and back home. roch, congrats on your AG award in your race. srlopez, way to kick butt. Six marathon's in six weeks is amazing. Do I recall from some earlier posts that you now have all 50 states? Nice long runs for breger, jlynne, SLO, CNY, Walt, Tall, fussy, Sue, busi, Tammy, fatozzig, and mariposai. This morning's race had 3 distances, and RA had it covered. dg did the 5K, I did the 10K, and hallar did the 15K. I'll get to my report sometime. After I got home, I decided I needed a few more miles for the week. The temp was up to about 50° and there was some wind. I did 4.8 miles (added to my 10K gives me 11 miles for the day) in a little over 46:30 for a 9:41 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              xor

Do I recall from some earlier posts that you now have all 50 states?
                As of about six hours ago, yes. Finishing the states was one of my earliest marathon goals all those years ago. I was going to write "back when I had hair" to be dramatic about how long it has been (which, in the big scheme, it wasn't that long). But really? Back then I had no hair. Now I have hair. Weird hair, though.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice try dg, . . . trying to go incognito at a race with selbs. Don't you know he knows and sees all? . . . even when he's not there. Robert - I hope you can but, in case it doesn't turn out to be possible to zip away to the next day's Kona Marathon, you won't regret the goddess belly dancing troupe planned for the Seattle RnR. It's more than just dancing when you're not just runnin' by.
                  based on most of the bellydancers I see at races . . . , they DO make me run faster because I want to get away from them.
                  2001 - 2 2002 - 7 2003 - 5 2004 - 12 2005 - 28 2006 - 36 2007 - 64 2008 - 41 2009 - 9 . . . ps - you make us all glad you got your hair back.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to srlopez on the 50th state, and to Deb, Tom, and Larry for their 5K, 10K, and 15K races! And congrats to Tammy on a PR 10 mile race. Some good runnin' there today! I did 3 magical healing miles with Tazzie and Ladybug with big fat snowflakes swirling around me! It was warm enough that it didn't stick, but the road, and therefore the dogs, were a muddy mess. We're gonna color Easter eggs after dinner tonight. Never too old to celebrate any and all holidays! Big grin Happy Easter to all of you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Now to make dinner. Tonight is shrimp sauteed in rum, onions and a mango/coconut sauce, which then is put in a wrap with fresh raw spinach.
                      What time should I stop by? Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I finished in 47:47 for an 8:32 pace and 4th in the 60+ AG. They handed out medals down to 5th in each AG, so at least I came away with some hardware (and a "PR" for this unique distance).
                        How did I miss this the first time around? Nice job, Roch!

Congratulations to srlopez for bagging the 50th state! What endurance! What an ability to go to races who knows where! Big grin Also congratulations dg. on grabbing a AG #1 placement in your first ever race! I tell you as one that cannot find a race sufficiently cherry picked to garner me a trophy (let alone first place) you should be proud!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Good job Tom and thank you also for encouraging dg to post a real RR. We aren't going to get pics as she is shy about photos. How I wish that were not so, as she is a knockout! dg, I am so proud of you. What a great pace. I hope you are satisfied with this and have some reflections about it. You are always so solicitous of others' feelings, injuries and overall performance. Let's hear a bit from you about your race experience. It is as important to us as it is to you. You don't have to write Paradise Lost, as some here do, just a few observations about your race and how you felt. Again, congrats. (And never sell yourself short on a win. As you continue to run you will find races where you ran hard and well and some ringer from out of town "stole" your award. So get the accolades while you can. Best to you.) Spareribs
                              As Tom and Deb have pointed out I ran the 15k portion of our local Tax Trot . I thought I was meeting another one of Toms Kids but to my suprise it turned out to be our own DG! Shocked And on her birthday to boot. I am not sure if you can actually cherry pick a race Deb. Big grin By the way I was the only one who did not have hardware waiting for him at the finish. Wink Great job Stevie Ray what a huge goal met. Whats the next huge goal? Not much time I have been super busy but will try and keep up with the daily next week. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Sounds like the Michiganders had a good race day today! And Deb got a 1st in AG for her birthday! Big congratulations there. Tom had a really good pace for the 10k! And Doug, I too missed your award earlier (different race, though, right?). And Larry rounds out the crew with the longest distance, good job! I like my new shoes. Took them out for a spin today. Started from DH's office, but the bike path was still a bit slushy and icy in spots. Decided to see what these shoes could do. First up was the Landreth. These really feel good. Put in 4.4 miles that looked like this: 8:14 7:52 7:47 7:47 7:56 (last .4 mile to DH's office) Switch shoes: next up Speedstars. Wow, these are light! Feel like slippers, but noticeably less cushion in forefoot and the heel feels "different." 7:49 (same route as first mile of first run, but warmed up now) 7:47 7:27 7:38 8:05 (last .2 mile for 4.2 total) Looks like a tempo run, but I did stop a few times to adjust the pad in my right shoe, retie laces, wait for traffic, etc. but the most exciting thing was the guy on the bike who wiped out on the ice right in front of me! If I'd been three strides ahead of where I was, we'd have had a nasty collision. As it is, his helmet made quite a "crack" sound as it hit the pavement. Good thing he had that on! Ripped his jacket and looks like he dislocated his pinkie, but other than that, ok. It was beautiful IRC today... bright sunshine, just a slight breeze and low 40's. Yummy!