Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 11.17.17 (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

but we both managed to finish our pints.

Leslie - I did actually email the boss yesterday and said, "I see that (lawyer), (son), and (paralegal) are in the conference room interviewing (prospective attorney).  Just curious, why (paralegal)?  My DH told me in the evening that I had gone too far, that the boss would probably be thinking, "Hey, I own this firm, he was there because I decided I wanted him there!"  And I know, this is true, it's not up to me to question these things, but still.  He didn't respond.

TomWhite - yay!

Trying to decide which day to do my LR.  Tomorrow morning forecast is warmish (45) but rainy.  Then 40-50mph winds are arriving in the afternoon with a cold front, so Sunday will be very windy and colder (33).  Wind or rain, which to choose?

No run for me today, just 40 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TomW is Back and Pain Free!!  And Going Outside to the Fresh Air!!

Erika - A number of years ago, I made garlic mash potatoes for the first time . . . only I put in fresh garlic at the end when I was mashing them up.  And a lot of it.  The next day I had to pick The Hub up at work (for some reason).  He'd only been in the car a few minutes when I could smell "something" coming from him.  I finally said, "Have you been drinking?!?" (this was pre-sobriety).  Him: "No! It's those mash potatoes you made last night.  I've stunk all day!!  People could barely stand to work with me!"  The smell was oozing from his pores.  Guess I shoulda cooked the garlic a bit. 

Holly - There can't be too many paralegals around there who specialize in elder law.  Just sayin' . . . .

I'm in no mood to work.  I wanna go home . . . 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry to hear about Holly and Mike's work woes.  Makes me glad to be retired!  I've generally been lucky and had pretty good bosses, but I had a couple of pretty awful short-term project managers.  One was so bad I actually ducked into the ladies room if I saw him coming toward me in the hall...  He did actually teach me a few valuable lessons about how to manage your boss, though.  When our project got behind schedule he would yell at us (what management text did he read that says yelling at employees motivates them to work harder???)  He never asked what he could do to help, but I learned to TELL him what he could do to help, such as talking to other folks in upper level management in other departments to work out issues that we could not do at our level.

I have a regular Friday morning trail running group - today it was only me and Helen, but we had a fun talk-filled 8 miler, with only a little rain at the end.  And I got to try out my new ultra-lightweight raincoat, an Outdoor Research Helium II.  I got it on sale this summer, but it hasn't rained since I got it.

Oh, and when I got home, there were 2 moose in my yard!  Not a very good picture, but that's as close as I wanted to get!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I love moose! (is that the plural?)    Thanks for the picture.

My daughter gave me some good advice (when did the roles shift?) about Monkey.  She said, "Run it like an ultra.  Walk a lot.  Run slow.  Take pictures."   Maybe I can get around the course if I did that.

Ahh- job woes.  It's tough.  So many jobs are stressful and unsatisfying.  I've certainly had my ups and downs in my career. (For those of you who are newer, I'm VP Legal at a Fortune 500 retail company with a great culture.)   I consider myself very lucky to be finishing my career at the best job yet and the best company EVER!   I smile when I walk across the parking lot in the morning.  I've had horrific jobs, though, and was actually a whistle blower while General Counsel for a NASDQ traded company shortly after ENRON.  My management consisted of crooks from Europe-  real ones, like in the news.  My job is challenging and demanding, but fun.  I deal with a lot of crazy employment issues, sales of live poultry, relationships with FFA and 4H and whether puppy pads contain chemicals that need to be registered in California.  You name it- every day is a different story.   My management is ethical and fantastic and my boss (our Executive VP and General Counsel) is the best boss in the world.    I don't take ANY of it for granted.   I lost a job that I loved in 2011 in the middle of the recession and hopes for good employment at my age and seniority were slim.  I took a contract job at this company and did boring contract review work in a cubicle.  The goal was temp to perm, and after 10 months I made it!  We moved into a beautiful new corporate campus in 2014 with a running path and fitness center.  Whew!!   I will retire when I don't like it anymore or if I have some health issues.  I love our legal department and they are all my best friends.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

Squeezed in 5 on the TM in between looking after a poorly baby boy, and having to retrieve my mother from the airport this evening.

Not as much as I would have liked, but all the timing allowed me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Quickadder

Trying to decide which day to do my LR.  Tomorrow morning forecast is warmish (45) but rainy.  Then 40-50mph winds are arriving in the afternoon with a cold front, so Sunday will be very windy and colder (33).  Wind or rain, which to choose?

Also wondering which day to do my LR. Forecast for 7am tomorrow is 70F and 94% humidity, but Sunday morning is 45F and 70%. I can envision deciding around mile 6 tomorrow to make Sunday the LR.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

evanflein

Tramps, I just gotta say that if I ever get to the point where a pint of beer makes me forgetful or otherwise affected, it's time to just give up. Seriously. Big grin

RunnerKSA, you're going to make some people here very envious. My job recently (last almost 6 years now) has been in middle management and I really prefer being at the job I had before. I used to deal directly with people and helped them on a personal level, really made a difference. Now I'm more at the policy ("strategic") level and it seems I'm always pissing people off. I know it's not always like that, but I'm really not always thrilled to see Monday roll around (was that p.c. enough?). I've got a couple more years before I can retire and I can't wait. My sister retired when she was 55 since she's in a different tier in our retirement system. I've gotta wait till 60. I have a count-down app on my phone...

Carolyn, what happened to your snow?? It's been a long time since we've had moose in our yard. My garden is happier in the summer and fall, but I do miss them in the winter.

Holly, good for you. And I don't agree with your DH. Anyone in on the interview should have a business reason to be there. And since the ultimate hire will inevitably affect you, you have a right to ask (IMO).

4.25 easy trail miles

Kind of sick, I guess, hard to say, might be something I ate. The boy stayed home from school, and the girl and the life accomplice all have been feeling "not quite right" the last few days.

MP3 players, music, singing, etc: I wear my MP3 player on almost every run. I load it up with new stuff every few days but have my favorites for long runs (Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren, The Bird and the Bee) and fast stuff (New Order, Depeche Mode, She Wants Revenge). I have a little Coby MP3 player that uses a single AAA battery, and isn't much bigger than that battery. I like to be able to swap batteries if it's out rather than find out too late that I need to charge it for a couple hours. I have a battery charger in my van and always have batteries ready to go. I bought a little MP3 player that also has FM radio because I like to listen to News Hour and some other programs, but I haven't used it much.

Music and running are complimentary. Did you know there is a measurable 7% average increase in performance when listening to music for mid-pack runners? That's substantial!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Mike--I realized this morning that if you'd been in town a week later we could have gone to the Wild-Caps game Saturday night.

Really?  You would consider going to a game with me even after you saw how I am when my teams are playing?  And the Vikings won that game.

Well...the meeting for the new job was kind of disappointing.  The owner didn't even come, so I have to schedule another meeting with him--hopefully on Wednesday.  The job isn't ideal and there are no benefits, yet--but I think it would be a lot less stressful and with friendlier people.  I guess, I'll meet with the owner and see what he can do about the salary to make up for the lack of benefits.

Yes--I am kind of envious of people who like their jobs, but I am sincerely happy for them, as well.  Holly--you deserve a better place to work and I hope you are looking.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  Since, I can't give my two week notice on Monday, I guess I'd better get in to work in the morning and try to get caught up.   See ya!

spacityrunner

3.1 miles around the workplace in hotter en blazes.  71f and humid at 8 p.m.  

No job advice from me.  20 years with the feds and I've had 4 different jobs/2 different agencies...the longest I've stayed is the one i'm in now but this one is not my favorite by a long shot.  yeah for retirement!

TW so glad your gettin around and got in here!

I haven't been in the woods all week. I'm eager for some trail time.  But not till Sunday...my Saturday is all spent already 

Trails Rock!

Tomw - great progress!!

Holly - I agree with Erika

Mike - hope the meeting with the boss goes well

50 minutes on my bike/indoor trainor today - then fun day -- my sister gave me  facial, spent time with my mom, PT did cupping and dry needling then taped my foot/achilles, shopped for new boots and a coat, went to a movie and dinner with a good friend .... thankful

goodnight all

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Carolyn, what happened to your snow?? It's been a long time since we've had moose in our yard. My garden is happier in the summer and fall, but I do miss them in the winter.

You had to jinx it -- our snow was mostly melted, since it's been so warm, but it's snowing tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

No snow to report here either. We are having a rather warm week. It was about 55 this afternoon when my DH came to my office to take me on a running date.

Long weekend ahead for my butterfly wings. I am gearing up to go home to Paraguay next week and my list to do prior to departing is three miles long Smile. All is good!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I know I’m very lucky and fortunate with this job, but I assure you that I’ve paid my dues!   I spent 10 years doing product liability defense for garage doors, openers and other door industry products. We had dead chilldren and quadriplegic plaintiffs from accidents involving our products.  It was rough and the lying plaintiffs were even worse.  I got so burned out that I just couldn’t stand it anymore.  I traveled all the time, too.  It was before 9/11, so travel wasn’t as terrible, but I had young kids and they suffered, although at the time I thought we were managing just fine.  We also had lots of management changes and some very dysfunctional foreign owners at the end.  Still loved most of my co-workers and am still in touch with many even though I left there in 2001.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back, Tom.
                                Yippee!
                                KSA - what’s the two-shirt deal? - one if you finish and a DNF one if not?

Fortunately, I’ve never had job I didn’t like, if not love.
                                Unfortunately, it took ten years of college to qualify for the ones I liked.   
                                Fortunately, two years were in Japan and Singapore.

Unfortunately, good jobs don’t usually mean top salaries.
                                Fortunately, I don’t care.
                                erika - you can’t go wrong running around out in enke-land down here, especially when the weather mostly cooperated.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)