Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 2.9.18 (Read 40 times)

Quick check in for me. I got up early and thought about going outside for my 6 mile run. But it was below 20 and there is still some ice on the road. I figured I would never see it in the dark with just a headlamp. In my book it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to ice. Down to the TM I went.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job, leslie. <<<($25/$25)>>>

We got a bill for the 420 bridge over Lake Washington we've never been on and avoid like the plague.  When I wrote 'em so and asked for a copy of the license plate photo, they dropped the bill.  However, don't give your Seattle street parking sticker to someone else to use the unused minutes for their car or they'll fine you for that.

Great Apnea Sleep.

Well, the Thursday morning exercycling at LA Fitness and five miles to the sleep center put me to sleep right away at 9:30pm in sleep study suite no. 10 within five minutes of getting 21 electrodes stuck to super-gel globs strategically plopped all over me from head to calves for 21 wires to provide sleep information to a NASA-like monitoring room with ten sleep technicians monitoring me and nine other possible apnea patients. Woke up within 20 minutes with dream no. 1 and another hour for dream no two followed by a couple of brief moments of waking up for no particular reason around  midnight and 3am.  Then nothing but deep sleep until breaking out of nightmare no. 1 at 5:30am.

I guess they knew I wasn’t sleeping anymore as a voice came over the intercom that I’d completed their eight hour target so, after generous sudsing and shampooing in the room’s private bath to get the gel out, I hurried off to the next bus to Friday’s AquaFit.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love fitness clubs?

I’ll find out in ten days how many dreams they found out I really had, how far off my guess of 7hr/40 minutes of sleep is from what they measured in the various sleep categories (rem, deep, etc.), leg twitches and, most important of all, were there any apnea blockages of breathing anymore. I don’t think so but we’ll see.  However, I think the morning cycle-cising gave ‘em some good leg twitches to talk about.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Isn't that the 520 bridge, Tet? 
        or do you just have 420 on your mind 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ThanksTam. Since we never would pay to go over it, I always get highway 405 and 520 bridge mixed up. My dad’s Elk’s Lodge was 420 that I use for a password every once-in-while, .  . . Whoops! . . .

Other than that, I never get numbers transposed or mixed up, . . . except DD’s street address I memorized a long time ago but they caught transposed all over the place at the PO this afternoon for GS’s Valentine’s Day goodies.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love getting old?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Hi all

Great day at school today. I tried a new lab with my AP Biology class; they tasted salt and several types of sweets, then drank a tea called gymnema. Gymnema blocks your sweet taste receptors but heightens your salt receptors. Anyway, apparently this lab was the talk of the school the test of the day. Imagine eating an M&M and it not tasting a bit late joe candy.

slow 5 miles when I got home. Like to go 10 tomorrow; Sunday is good N.H. to be all day cold rain.

tailwinds!

I’ll find out in ten days how many dreams they found out I really had, how far off my guess of 7hr/40 minutes of sleep is from what they measured in the various sleep categories (rem, deep, etc.), leg twitches and, most important of all, were there any apnea blockages of breathing anymore.

..tet//....what about when you had to pee??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

actually there's probably a better way to ask that question

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

5.5 miles on Cedar Creek trails.  It was hot and humid...go figure...so I am pleased with my 13 m/m avg.  Tomorrow will be winter again.

Trails Rock!

..tet//....what about when you had to pee??

Hahaaa!!  

Bio - Maybe I need The Hub to drink that before he eats chocolate ice cream or peanut M&Ms!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I have Yowza moments like that too - - like when I think I weigh a certain amount on my home scale and am only 5 lbs from target weight and then I go to the doc and find out I'm actually 10 lbs over target weight. Yowza! and then maybe an f-bomb. 

Deez - enjoy!

Leslie - I just try to make sure at work I say nothing in an email that can get me in trouble, get us sued, or be construed as the "unauthorized practice of law."

Tet - I am so glad that you had the test done - so much better to be safe.

Is this just an awesome picture or what?

Okay, I got into a minor car accident in the Kroger parking lot.  I was pulling out at the end of a row, glanced to the right into the sun, looked to the left, and then pulled out, totally not seeing the Cadillac that was flying toward me.  I clipped it on the rear driver bumper with my right front corner - totally my fault.  I don't know how I missed it.  At any rate, while quite minor, it was very upsetting - the woman driving was taking all kinds of pictures and the police showed up, etc.  The good news is that I was not cited because it was on private property and that I have full coverage, so it will only cost me $500 to fix my own car and nothing to fix hers.  Still, it has been at least 20 years since I got into an accident and it was a bit traumatic.  Funny, I have told my 15yo DD at least 3 times lately that the most dangerous place she will drive is the Kroger parking lot.

9.3 miles for me on the TM watching my DVRed Dancing With The Stars.  I have two episodes left - don't tell me who wins!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

You guys are a chatty bunch today. As for the 520 bridge, DH and I crossed that when we were staying in Kirkland last November and realized too late it was a toll bridge. Goal for the rest of the weekend was to avoid that one. Tammy, heh on the 420... As a matter of fact, that's one of the reasons we liked being in Kirkland.

Yeah, what happens when you have to pee in the middle of the night during a sleep study test?

Bioguy, that would be pretty strange. I'm surprised it's not a popular diet aid for folks like Leslie's DH.

Metalmancpa, good to see you check in. Sorry about your dad. I think that's hard on everyone involved.

Hey Holly! Sorry about the fender bender but glad no one was hurt and sounds like nothing major done, right? Car still driveable? And I agree, the Fred Meyer (a Kroger company store) parking lots here are dreadful.

Well today ended up being an unscheduled rest day. Went to the pool for some more of what I do there, and the door to the pool from the locker room was locked! WTH? Several women in various stages of swimming preparation were very surprised as it was a lap swim day and time. Turns out the lifeguard left at noon thinking the pool was closed from an earlier incorrect schedule (that had been corrected quite awhile ago). How dumb. And the really crazy thing is, nobody in the building knew what to do. The pool is "managed" (heh, mis-managed?) by the student rec center, a nearby but separate building. A call over there found them all just as mystified by why the door was locked and they promised to send someone over to "check it out." Well, I said no need to "check it out" but you do need to fix it. Long story short, nobody showed up, I ran out of time and had to come back to work. Damnit. Maybe tomorrow.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Is this just an awesome picture or what?

Me too. Just like being there having AD

gettin' ready to jump his snowy self

and cold paws all over me.

Okay, I got into a minor car accident in the Kroger parking lot.  I was pulling out at the end of a row, glanced to the right into the sun, looked to the left, and then pulled out, totally not seeing the Cadillac that was flying toward me.  I clipped it on the rear driver bumper with my right front corner - totally my fault.  I don't know how I missed it.  At any rate, while quite minor, it was very upsetting - the woman driving was taking all kinds of pictures and the police showed up, etc.  The good news is that I was not cited because it was on private property and that I have full coverage, so it will only cost me $500 to fix my own car and nothing to fix hers.  Still, it has been at least 20 years since I got into an accident and it was a bit traumatic.  Funny, I have told my 15yo DD at least 3 times lately that the most dangerous place she will drive is the Kroger parking lot.

However, as you probably appreciate, much better the Caddy ran into you instead of DD.  When our DD got her DL, yep, same day, contrary to DW’s “NEVER” mandate, I let DD drive DW’s brand new Chevy sedan over to her friend’s for some reason-or-the-other that I knew was really just to show off and, sure enough, she got rear-ended  Hey, no ticket, though.  I bet you’d have been off-the-hook too, though, if the speeding Caddy’d been caught on surveillance.

actually there's probably a better way to ask that question

probably a better way to answer to but they have a call button for someone to come down and take the connector box with all the 21 electrodes, wires, etc. going all over me (but mostly scalp where, for some reason, they said "no need to shave anything off on this one") off the wall for me to carry to the lounge for refreshments, cookies, etc. or the bathroom in each sleeping suite. Fortunately, not having anything to drink beforehand averted the need to call anyone for help.  In addition, though it looks pretty horrible, it was all very lightweight and hardly noticeable at all, not even the two nostril tubes for monitoring nose and mouth breathing, respectively. Whew. I don't think I breathed through my mouth at all but guess I'll find out in ten days.  We'll see.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, day one of our three day drill weekend.  In order to further improve our "response" time to a crisis (may be a long post on that later) we are doing a lot of mass training.  This is stuff we would get "just in time" if we were tasked to deploy.  Upshot is that we would be able to more quickly respond if called to deploy.  Not expecting this, it's more like "back to the future" when we were tasked to train on certain skills annually (rather than on our way out the door).  Long way of saying, I only had time to get in about 4 miles this morning.

Tet, if it is a Keyser, they have to be recalibrated periodically.  What is "gear 9" on one bike may feel different (more or less resistance) on another bike.  Still like them though, a lot of good feedback for the rider.  BTW, if it's an early Keyser, and you are seeing things like power, calories, etc.....the computer algorithms on those computers assume you are a 30 year old male.

Long day tomorrow, so getting to bed soon.  Have a great night everyone!

5.5 @ 7:50

Only two miles were brisk; afterwards even 8:00 feels like jogging. I blame other runners for the faster-than-planned miles. I'll see someone on the trail ahead of me and then try to catch them. And then someone ELSE comes into sight, and so on. Also, of course I have to keep up the pace after I catch them, I sure don't want to run WITH anyone!

Leslie; is government and government-ish bureaucracy a wonderful experience in efficiency? I of course missed my lic. plate registration by a week again (because they send out the bill 3-4 months ahead of time, and never a reminder when it is actually close to being due). I paid the total with the "late" fee. A month goes by, and since I didn't get any tags I looked at my checking account and they have not cashed my check yet! I contact them as best as I can via internet and phone, and the robots and recordings were of no help. A week later I get a NEW bill for the increased late fee, but I see they cashed my check the day before the new bill was issued. The very next day my tags come!

As far as I know, the Golden Gate is not operated by a government agency, so I don't know how they could suspend your license. Maybe they have a special deal with the government or something, which explains their horrible I.T. system. Imagine if Amazon or Ebay had I.T. systems as bad as the government! They wouldn't stay in business a month.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

BTW, if it's an early Keyser, and you are seeing things like power, calories, etc.....the computer algorithms on those computers assume you are a 30 year old male.

Long day tomorrow, so getting to bed soon.  Have a great night everyone!

That's what I assume, too, but it doesn't seem to work.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.