Masters Running

Here or KR? Let's talk. (Read 1274 times)

Maniac 505

I don't post as much as I used to, but I try to keep up with who is who. I will continue to lurk, and occasionally post everywhere, but this is feeling like my new home. Dave
      Here is my 2 cents worth...and it will be the last I will say on the subject. I am on vacation right now...which is providing me time to test the waters.......so I can post more than usual.... Well....I tried KR in December....I felt welcomed.... Tried RA a week or so later.....I felt welcomed........ Took a look at Active today.....posted on the 50's thread......still felt welcomed.... I remember my first post at CR Boomers (a few years ago).....I was struggling with the marathon...desperately trying to get under 3:45...I still remember some of the advice and from whom. It had that much of an impact on me. To this day I can attribute my improvement and eventual BQ to the support and mentoring I received from the CR Boomer community. Sure, I did the work but I also was given tremendous guidance. Since I was unable to post frequently (go to work at 6:30 AM, get home at 6:45PM, which includes my run time, can't post while I am at work) I was unable to develop some of the closer friendships others may have developed. But none the less I still felt a sense of community. When I finally made it to Boston...my experience was multiplied 10 fold by those CR Boomers (native to the area) that welcomed me...I felt right at home...certainly a great feeling, considering I was a nervous wreck. I had the extra opportunity to meet other Boomers that had traveled to Boston and even though I may not have been a regular poster....I still felt a connection....recognized handles and was able to have an "eyeball" (ham radio term for meeting someone in person). I have even had the opportunity to meet more Boomers at other races (in Oklahoma and Texas)...again...people I would not know today...if it weren't for CR Boomers. Another example, my mom called me on the phone the day before the NYC marathon she said...there is a guy that is going to be on FOX News...that runs barefoot....I said..."I know him, thats barefootrick". And the list goes on and on.... You never know when a "casual" friendship like those developed on CR Boomers can turn into a friendship that could last a lifetime... So, even if the interface might be lousy, or the log doesn't work quite right, or all the commercials get in the way or the background is a gosh awful stark white, off to the left, off to the right..... I can deal with all that... Because for me it is the community that counts... Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...enjoy the Holidays........ SmileTim, Ardmore, OK.
      Cashmason

Just checking in. And Welcome Teresa! There are plenty of fast and fit boomer women in California. I ran the Disneyland half marathon last Septemeber, and the race director announced that 60 percent of the runners that day were women. Not sure how many were boomers, but there were plenty of boomer women in the 2 hour pace group. Note: my definition of fast is anyone male or female that is faster than I am. There are no slow runners. That person next to me who is running slower than I am, might be on mile 20 while I am just doing mile one, or he/she is doing an easy day. My definition of fit is anyone who can run 5k no matter what their body looks like. Cash
          I'll go where the Boomers congregate. It's as simple as that. So far, RinningAhead.com is the place for me. I like the log and the Forum interface is sweet. I've been watching over at CR/Active (since I couldn't find y'all over here at first) and there is really no one posting there anymore. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I decided to take a look after reading Tramps' original post in KR. It's sure been interesting to read all your views. However, there is no dancing banana icon here, but BAP is! ok, after a few days, I decided I like it here better since I recognize more folks here and feel more comfortable. I still like to lurk in KR to read the stuff in Post-Race-Tent. Those folks are hilarious!

Tag

Well, I have all 3 (Active, KR, and RA) on my bookmarks toolbar in Firefox right now, however Active is about to get deleted. I have been using RA logbook off and on for a couple of years now. Eric is top notch. I also personally like the folks and interface at KR. I particularly enjoy San Souci's wit and effort on the weekly running and cross-training thread. So, for now I am one of those who will keep following both forums. Eventually, I may have to chose one as my primary site, however even then I imagine I will be checking in on the other from time to time. Over the past 3 years I've gotten to virtually know and respect a number of you. Spareribs, Dark Horse, Sans Souci, Illene, Hally, way5yom (Tim), mcsolar, Dtoce, theprofromDover, tomwhite, rose, Tallrunner, BigApple, Willrunforbeer, Meg, RDracing, and more. (If I didn't say your name don't take it personnel. I was just randomizing off the top of my head). If this group ends up split, then I will have to find the time to check out multiple sites. Tag
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Just checking in. And Welcome Teresa! There are plenty of fast and fit boomer women in California. I ran the Disneyland half marathon last Septemeber, and the race director announced that 60 percent of the runners that day were women. Not sure how many were boomers, but there were plenty of boomer women in the 2 hour pace group. Note: my definition of fast is anyone male or female that is faster than I am. There are no slow runners. That person next to me who is running slower than I am, might be on mile 20 while I am just doing mile one, or he/she is doing an easy day. My definition of fit is anyone who can run 5k no matter what their body looks like. Cash
                That's good to hear about the women in California, Cash. There are SOME where I live, but not that many. I like your definition of "fit!" I count!!! A year ago, I wouldn't have. My 15-year-old son will be running the Bumble Bee Foods 5k race before the Holiday Bowl Parade in San Diego tomorrow morning, so he is in your neck of the woods, about as far away from home (Maine) as he can get! It sounds like they might show a bit of the end of the race on TV as the parade starts, so maybe I will get a glimpse of him. He's hoping to break 17 minutes, the little stinker. Shocked
                pegruns

I don't care where I go just so I'm able to follow you guys. I'm turning 50 on New Year's Eve and I really want you guys with me. I'm running and living through all of your posts. Someday I might even attempt to put a profile up or one of those cute pictures you guys all have. I have NO clue how to do that....
                    ........welcome pegruns//.........you can always Un-learn our Bad Habits later....... or when you complete Therapy/////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Just the facts maam: NUMBER OF POSTS CR/ KR/ RA Xmas 4/ 36/ 49 6:40 pm Boxing Day 0/ 33/ 65 Lots of multi posting but one message seems clear to me.... Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

New skirt in town

For the moment, I'm trying out both sites. (although I'm clearly lurking here more than actually posting). I've been through forum chaos before, with one of my parenting sites that closed and the groups splintered. In the end, it all worked out well. Some folks chose one site, others chose a different one, and some prolific posters visited both sites. The sites seemed foreign and unwelcoming at first, but now seem like home and I can hardly remember the old days of the original site. I'm guessing the same pattern will happen here. FWIW, I love the vBulletin interface over at KR. And the structure of the forums seems to mimic the old CR structure, which is comfortable. --Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

..good point rt//......I seem to post more at KR because it just has a better ''feel'' to it.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....