Masters Running

Saturdaily, 7.21.18 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I got all my chores done yesterday, and we're just about packed. So we're taking our guests out to breakfast this morning and then they are going their way, and we're going ours. We'll have about a 4-hr. drive, including a stop at the last 'real' grocery store, about 15-20 miles before we get to Castine, ME (where there is 1 tiny general store).

6.1 RW miles this morning in 59° temps. It was far from my best workout, but I got it done, and feel good for having been out there.

Have a greta Friday & weekend, and big grins & tailwinds to everyone racing this weekend.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay.....

HUGH Storms last night, no trees down but a ton of limbs to pick up

=========

....40-min PoolRun with letters,

had to vacate

when the Storms cranked up again

-off topic-

Cool Thing last night,

got a

phone call

from a buddy I played Football Against 50-YEARS AGO

.........Amazing the bonds a sport can forge......

-back on topic-

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Cool Thing last night,

got a

phone call

from a buddy I played Football Against 50-YEARS AGO

.........Amazing the bonds a sport can forge...…

This is very cool!  When I was a kid NOBODY I played AGAINST, in any sport, was my "buddy".  It's sad, really--I thought of every competitor as my enemy.  I'm so glad I grew out of that...a few years, ago...

Very nice, Tom!    Jay- enjoy the solitude.

6.4 all running miles on the path.  Butt did pretty OK-  not fixed, but let's me run with minimal discomfort.   Glad to get it done!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

This is very cool!  When I was a kid NOBODY I played AGAINST, in any sport, was my "buddy".  It's sad, really--I thought of every competitor as my enemy.  I'm so glad I grew out that...a few years, ago...

...it Gets Better,

he's now Executive Director of the Tennessee Football Coaches Assn

and

is gonna get me into the Coaches Tent for the next State Championship Games

is THAT Cool or What??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Neat, Tom.

Mike—based on some of your race reports, not sure you’re completely over it. 

Made it out for 4 miles this morning. Nice to see something other than a “3” for a total. Hope I can do something wild soon and see a 5 or 6 

DS’s computer bricked this morning. Have to drop it off at repair place shortly. Joy, joy. Hope it’s something relatively simple AND cheap. Doesn’t take long before you end up in the “might as well buy a new one “ territory.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm so glad I grew out of that...

No you didn't....

Tom - that is very cool.

KSA - How do they do a temporary crown on a tooth that is completely out?  I am asking because I am going to lose my canine tooth at some point (post and crown but the post went all the way through the root and is going to fail at some point).

5.6 miles for me this morning ahead of the storms....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tom - The Hub doesn't know it yet, but he's very jealous of you right now.   The Hub is a HUGE college football fan.  H-U-G-E!

50 min of core/ST this a.m.  Then I made scratch blueberry pancakes for The Hub.  The roasted beets and onions and cut up veggies for salads.  Vacuumed, and now I need to fold laundry.  It's been a relaxed morning so far.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Surly Bill I think you may be the first person I have seen benefit from trying to alter their running style. Good that pose running is working out for you.

stumpy77 good luck with the computer. But dead, dead, dead . . . not sure what that is likely to imply.

I ran this morning's crazy local crazy distance race. This one is 4.07 miles. I am clearly having problems. A major disappointment since I thought I was over all my injuries this week. My hamstring felt so good I stopped using this cushion with holes cut on it to keep the pressure off of them while sitting. My back felt good enough to quit using the heating pad. Maybe a half mile into the race it all went south. I had to run/walk the course. No doubt I should have turned around and just walked back in. DW wants me to see my orthopedist first and try PT as well before throwing in the towel on running. I will, but I am not optimistic. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

anneb

Good day, all. 9.35 very slow miles for me this morning; which would be fine, except running’s not feeling the easiest. Hoping things return to ‘normal’ soon (whatever that is).

The H is finishing up framing the new foyer coat closet and I’m doing laundry and hiding out in the basement watching the Cubs with the dog.

Good luck 8 hour runners! I know that race has been super hot in the past, so cooler temps will be appreciated I’m sure.

Anne

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I finished my sermon then ran 8 miles.  The pressure is off.

That stinks, Twocat.  I hope you get it figured out quickly.

You know--there are may different things that I experience through the course of a day that remind me of one of you, in here.  Today, as my shorts, dripped with sweat, I thought of Stumpy.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Surly Bill I think you may be the first person I have seen benefit from trying to alter their running style. Good that pose running is working out for you.

I don't know if it's "working", but it's worth exploring. My lower back is sore today, and my achilles worse than recent post-run days. I think more due to underused muscles getting more demand than they're used to; like weight lifting. It's been remarked since I was in Jr High that I ran straight up and down compared to others who looked like they were going to fall forward on their face. Maybe I should to lean forward a bit, but I'm an old dog. Everything in moderation, a little bit can't hurt.

Dental stuff:

My reading has turned up a few things regarding crowns, implants and bridges.

#1, bridges are much cheaper/faster than implants.

They can span TWO missing teeth with a bridge, but it's usually not smiled upon for molars (pun intended).

Crowns aren't too bad, but they aren't permanent. That being said, I have a couple that are 30+ years old and have no signs of problems.

Some dentists now have machines that will fabricate a permanent crown while you wait (3D CNC), so you don't have to come back in a couple weeks to have it put on, and the cost is less (or SHOULD be).

Implants are still a lengthy process despite modern techniques.

I think I'm going to explore getting a bridge that spans my two missing molars, but I may have to talk a dentist into it. Remember, they are in business, and will try to up-sell you just like a car dealer would. In my case, having SOMETHING there would be much better than nothing, and I can't currently afford implants; or don't want to spend $25k on them + crowns.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Surely - Romanov's pose is the same as running barefoot but with thin-heeled shoes so you can't heel-strike and, yes, it does make a difference.  Danny Dryer's Chi Running does the same. Check it out.  Try this too: once you're used to mid/fore-foot landings, use your ankle muscles to push up and off before you lift the tailing leg and, I bet, you'll be even faster.

Seafair Tri allowed bike racking today for an extra $10 that worth it 'cause instead getting bikes the race venue and racking with 1,000 other entrants at 5am race day morning when it's hit-and-miss to avoid the interior, if not farthest outer parts of the racks and the associated slowing of transition times so, sine shoes, as usual, I should be pretty fast again for the swim-to-bike T-1 and bike-to-run T-2.

Although I got rid of a couple hundred race shirts in boxes in the garage last summer from over the years since marathon no. 1 in 1977 and triathlon no. 1 in 1978, one of the several hundred that was too hard to discard was the 1990 Seafair Triathlon and, sure enough, at today’s bike racking, another older guy knowingly said, “that was the oily one in Lake Union, wasn’t it?”

Jumped in the lake (76o)with my new neoprene, i.e. flotation, Bermuda-length shorts REI was selling over Memorial Day to keep kayakers warm against the cold spray even on summer days and they seemed to help keep me from sinking down too much and quelled the normal panic and rapid breathing that heading out-to-the-middle of some lake always seems to trigger. Maybe tomorrow’s ½ mile swim won’t be as bad as I’ve been imagining, . . . but I doubt it. <<<(relax/relax/relax)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

TC — very accurate descriptor. The hard drive at least survived. So some shopping to see if I can limit the damage to less than $300.

Mike—I think I stole soggy shorts from Amy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Surely - Romanov's pose is the same as running barefoot but with thin-heeled shoes so you can't heel-strike and, yes, it does make a difference.  Danny Dryer's Chi Running does the same. Check it out.  Try this too: once you're used to mid/fore-foot landings, use your ankle muscles to push up and off before you lift the tailing leg and, I bet, you'll be even faster.

Tet, I started by concentrating on achieving into the "pose", and going from pose to pose instead of concentrating on foot plant or anything else in between poses. It resulted in the lift you're talking about, as well as knee lift. Younger and faster years, I did a heavy toe-off, nearly kicking my own butt every stride, and had less knee lift. That may be why I have the achilles issues now. I think I need to transfer a lot of the gait effort to my quads and glutes because my achilles can't handle it anymore. I can do that "marathon shuffle" of barely getting my feet off the ground (like cheating race-walking!)  fairly well without aggravating anything, but it's not very efficient for shorter distances.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying