Masters Running

Taco Tuesdaily, 9.19.23 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start yesterday, Tet, and good luck with all your appointments this week. Thanks for the glacial observations and report.

Good "didn't want to do it" 5.6 hilly miles, KSA. Have a good time at today's conference and ball game.

I hope you are still negative today, and are feeling better, Deeze.

Nice rest day after miles with the dogs on Sunday, Holly.

Good work at the food pantry, Marj, and good luck with the new iPad. And good for you for getting out for some walks between the rain drops yesterday.

Nice easy, upright 4 miles after the fall, Leslie. Racewalkers don't pick up our feet, which is why I stay off trails.

Good post-long run stretching and core work, Tammy. And good luck at the PT appointment today.

Nice core work, weight work, and bike work on your 'rest day' Joe.

Sorry to see the end of your 4-year Covid-free streak, Doug. I hope it is mild and that you recover quickly.

Sounds like a great 25K race on Sunday, Wildchild - I'll have to go read your RR. Good recovery 2 miles and wood-splitting and stacking.

Nice elliptical hour, Twocat.

Sounds like a great weekend with MBE, Enke. Yes, people are still trying to figure out how to best deal with Covid, and everyone has a different approach (as most of us do with colds and flu too). I just try to do what is best for me and for the people around me, wherever I am.

Good 1.4 pool miles, BTY. Mimicking Joe by going shirtless, eh? 

Good 1.6 miles, and good hang-out with your HS friend, Steve. Thanks for the terrific photos.

I didn't post it, but I did get out for 5.2 EZ RW miles yesterday morning before the day's rain started. My Garmin was not in a very cooperative mood, so I did a hard restart after I got back, and it was OK this morning. Yesterday's workout was #400 in my current streak.

I (finally) got a decent night's sleep last night, and didn't wake up till almost 4:30 this morning. So I got up and out quick for 5.19 RW miles in 61° temps with a mist at the start that stopped after a little over a mile as the clouds were finally beginning to move out. Like Tammy, I have a PT appointment (right hamstring,left knee) today, and am looking forward to it.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay, and I hope PT is productive!  Early run (lunchtime for Jay) for me- 4 miles and getting ready for the drive to Atlanta.  Go Phillies!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Roch - hope your CV is mild and quick to pass.  Did your DW avoid it?  DH and I are set to travel one more time this year - a quick trip to Panama City Beach for a long weekend 9/30-10/3 and hope to avoid the dreaded bug one more time.

The new job starts a half hour earlier, so I need to get in practice of getting moving earlier if I want to have time for my workouts in the morning.

3 miles for me this morning in 48-ish degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm not feeling too awful so far today but obviously no workouts planned, so I'll start trickling out a few photos from our trip.

"World's Largest Buffalo" in Jamestown, ND

And a real bison very close to the car in Theodore Roosevelt N.P.

Overlooking the Little Missouri River and badlands in the park.

May be an image of 2 people and mountain

Painted Canyon overlook. We started hiking down into it, but it was steeper, rougher, and muddier than we were prepared for (we're not enke!).

No photo description available.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks for the start, Jay.  Good luck at PT.  I finally seem to have gotten my referral for my knee issue cleared up - at least I hope so.  Fingers crossed I get a call here soon.  It's not bad, and that's the way I want to keep it.

Steve - Glad you got to meet up with an old buddy.  I haven't seen any old high school friends in years.

Tet - Considering the amount of roots Tammy and I will be dealing with Saturday on the James Irvine, we'll be practicing our power hiking for awhile. A small sampling:

May be an image of tree

May be an image of tree and nature

No photo description available.

Got in 6 predawn miles with a ladder workout, then made Mile 5 a tempo mile.  I like ladder workouts.  I'd rather do them than a long tempo run any day.

Covid - About a week ago I road with my boss to visit a client at their house. The next day he was sick.  Ended up just having a plain old cold, but folks in the office were all "Is it Covid?!??" One attorney even suggested I go home until my boss' test came through.  I'm on Enke's side - At some point we need to start treating this like we do flu, a bad cold, etc.  We don't freak out when we get those.  It's never going to go away.  So be smart and respectful.  If you're sick - whether it's CV, flu, cold, etc. - don't be coughing or sneezing on people, don't be sticking your fingers in your nose and then touching things.  Use your cough pocket.  Don't be a jerk.

We're getting a PT on-site office manager starting Monday.  Maybe she'll whip a few employees into shape.

Okay - Gotta get to it ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay. You got me thinking about tacos now.

Doug--Nice pics!  Sorry about the COVID case. I hope it's a mild one. Anecdotally, despite all the air filtration supposedly in place, flying does seem to be a commonly-cited likely culprit...but who knows for sure. There are very few of us remaining who've managed to avoid it. (Are tet and I the last ones standing here?) Now I'm trying to think strategically about when to get the latest booster.

deez--hope you're starting to feel better soon.

Steve--looks like a wonderful visit and nice sunset, too!

KSA--enjoy the ball game. I haven't been to one in years. We got a minor league team locally a couple years ago and keep vowing to attend but it never seems to happen.

Leslie--glad you weren't hurt more badly. Even on my little trail runs (which have lots of roots), I intentionally slow down because I know it's so easy to trip and fall.

tet--yeah, glaciers have been the canaries in the coal mine. All that melting...

Enke--your cabin always sounds idyllic.

We made a dent on our barn cleaning; still a ways to go. Surly and Twocat, yeah, there are definite advantages to just tearing it down.But there are lots of factors in play (scarcity of workers, permit issues, etc.) and many possible scenarios (a garage? a partial barn rebuild? shed(s)?) We'll have to overthink this, which is our usual approach.

Rest day for me yesterday. (A real one, not like Shadow's) .  Today I got out for nearly 6 miles, trying to slowly catch up to the pace bunny. Beautiful day but I got a late start and it seemed more humid and harder than it should have. Bleh.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

well, that trail just looks like all kinds of fun Leslie   Power hiking, some running, it's all training and time on feet and it'll be so nice to have a change of scenery and temps for a long run. well, it's a change for me at least.   Going to have to figure out the timing on the drive down. As of right now, the Redwood Hwy is closed from 1-4 each afternoon as they continue to  work along the burned areas.  I'm assuming you are working a full day Friday right? My plan was to be there by 5ish but if the hwy still closed til 4, that won't be possible. So I am miss dinner with you guys.  I'll keep you posted.

I echo Leslie's thoughts on covid, flu, etc.   I feel the same way.  Don't be a jerk

Sorry to hear you got a double line on the test Doug. Hope it is mild and goes away soon. I, too, have avoided it for almost 4 yrs now.  I've enjoyed the photos from your trip. 

My PT was cancelled this morning because they still don't have the auth on file from my health insurance.  It's just a admin delay though and there won't be an issue getting that auth because I had an orthopedic surgeon / doctor write the referral, so it's not like a self-referral that maybe some insurances hesitate on. But I have another appt scheduled on Thurs so hopefully all the ducks will be in a row by then. 

Planning on a run this afternoon. Maybe 4 or 5 miles to start out the week.

Tammy

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Afternoon masters,

Legs were tired today, but still managed to do 6 miles along the D&L towpath. Not sure if it is lack of or poor sleep and/or nutrition. I felt weak starting and only thought I had is when am I finished. 🤣 Probably sleep since I am waking up each morning at @ 3AM and only catnapping/tossing and turning until I get up. Or maybe it's just starting run at 11AM that's not working.

In any case it's done and I feel better.

deez and Doug and anyone else: I hope you feel better soon.

Later folks.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Marathon Maniac #957

There are very few of us remaining who've managed to avoid it. (Are tet and I the last ones standing here?)

No, DH and I seem to have avoided it as well.  Surprising, really, since we have traveled a lot since the onset of Covid, and not taken particular cautions for the most part, in addition to have DD living with us for the first couple of years (she and her friends did not seem to bother at all - i.e. driving with several teens in the car at all times, working at a busy Cracker Barrel, etc.).  Oh, and I see Tammy has also avoided it - sweet!  But I totally agree with Leslie on the whole thing - if you are sick, don't be a jerk....

Leslie - tell me about your ladder workouts.  It's time I got off my butt and did more than just trot around in circles.  This foot has made it clear that I won't be doing any distance running anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't challenge myself a little.

KSA - hope your drive was safe.  Do you listen to audiobooks on long drives?

Enke - I, too, am envious of your cabin retreat.

I have four big pots on my tiny front porch that I fill with annuals each year for that bright splash of color.  This year the flower I chose as the centerpiece of each is a perennial  (salvia), so I broke down the pots Sunday and planted each of the salvia plants in a different spot in my flowerbeds so that they would have time to get established before the first frost (usually at the end of October).  I consolidated the remaining annuals into two pots for the remainder of the warm weather.  Beside the pots, I have a huge petunia plant that started from a volunteer that just showed up this spring.  It is such a lovely plant, I hate to just throw it away, and have read that you can winter petunias indoors until spring, and that got me thinking about doing that with some of my other annuals.  Any of you gardening enthusiasts do that?

Love the pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bison!

Other than having the original strain in December 2019 (from my DD, who got it from ex, who either got it from a crowded event in Seattle or from his girlfriend who recently came back from China), I didn't get it again until December 2022.

During those intervening 3 years MBE and I went out to restaurants every single week, sometimes twice, when they were not shut down that is and we didn't get it to our knowledge. I never wore a mask unless it was a state mandate, but was very careful to stay 6 feet away from people. We traveled (ie flew) a bit.

My second bout in December 2022 (Omicron) came from attending a crowded holiday party in someone's stuffy house, the exact conditions you would expect for optimal transmission. I felt about the same carpiness both times (7 to 8 days), but second time that strain didn't go deep into lungs, nor the weeks of 'lung fatigue' afterwards.

Holly, next time you are out this way....cabin baby!

2.1 mile walk around the neighborhood. Will add to that after dinner.

I made a mistake on the cover page of a document that is already final. I'm super pissed at myself.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enke - whew.  Much better the cover page than the content.

Doug - nice. I'd like to see that Bison with Paul Bunyan and Babe.

Leslie / Tammy - beautiful trail run for sure but definitely not the kind to distracted away from what your feet are doing by scenery, forest beauty, nature, wildlife and flora, etc.  Have fun.

Holly - although i run into, and chat with, other agings all the time at our sr. housing, the only time I'm hanging around w/i 6' of anyone is in the elevator that my knee makes me use instead of the stairs (for the time being, I hope) so, though nothing like all of your exposures, I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed and try to be like enke as much as possible.

Though I still get calls from hapless Japanese caught up in our legal system that few of us even understand either, in the probably the last of my official pro bono cases about a Japanese being issued his driver license renewal in 2020 on the condition that unless he submitted a current eye exam within 60 days his license would be revoked and suspended so, of course he complied by going and getting a fresh eye exam and submitting it to the DOL as required, . . . except they not only not only forgot to tell him it needed to be on an official form but they also failed to give him the required official form for the ophthamologist to sign and submit instead of him and but they also failed to follow-up and tell him the one he submitted was not sufficient so, without informing him further, they suspended his license and, sure enough, voila!. two years later, he got charged with a criminal violation of driving with a suspended license that got him handcuffed and taken to jail where he would have languished except for his fantastic pro bono lawyer getting our right away and, after the last six months of dealing with hardened prosecutors, police and the DOL, got it reduced to a traffic/parking level, noncriminal violation of driving without a valid driver license on your person so he went and got the correct form, had it signed and submitted to get the suspension removed so all is well that ends well but he sure isn't too enamored about the lack of any obligation for our bureaucrats to go anywhere above and beyond only what they are supposed to do and nothing more. How in the world will the world get along without me?  Yippee!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

“Don’t be a jerk” - I agree but unfortunately too many people don’t care about other people - they go back to work and about their business even when they should probably still be home. Kids aren’t supposed to go back to school unless they are fever free for 24 hours without Tylenol but adults don’t always follow that advice. Would be nice if everyone held to the same standards.

I definitely feel better today - Sunday and Monday felt like the flu, today it’s more like sinus congestion and a bronchial cough. I am actually surprised I tested negative considering how awful I felt Sunday 

3.5 miles at a gentle walking pace to get some fresh air and sunshine - felt good to get out of this camper!!

Roch - hope your illness stays mild

Leslie - those roots scare me!! 
                          Steve - sounds like a nice meet-up

denise

BTY

((( ))) and prayers for all who are sick.

I'm another COVID avoider, as far as I know.  I was able to work completely from home for the first two years following our office shut down on March 16, 2020, and in the 18 months since then, I've worked at home twice a week every week, and it seems like the office is pretty empty on the days when I'm actually there.  Generally I'm antisocial and stay 6 feet away from others when possible/practical because of that alone, and also because I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 4 months before the onset of the pandemic and was already following social distancing and hand washing protocols.  The immune suppressing biologic injections make me wary of being around sick people.  And I think swimming indoors is a great deterrent to catching a virus, due to the chlorinated water.  I do appreciate when people are not jerks, too, and stay away from me when they're sick.   I'm not sure if people remember that I am susceptible to infections, because I only occasionally remind friends and family.  That said, although I've tested (negative) for COVID each time I've felt ill in the past three and a half years, I never made attempts to test for COVID when I didn't feel sick, so it's possible I was COVID positive, but asymptomatic, any number of times.  I didn't get it, incidentally, when my wife tested positive for it, and was very sick with it; there was another occasion early in 2020 when I believe she would have tested positive but she was turned away from the Urgent Care because her symptoms didn't match up with what others were presenting with - but most likely she had COVID.

Jay, KSA(?), and any others with streaks, I'm impressed and you can be proud of that achievement.  I don't think I ever had a walking or running streak of more than 15 days at the most. Swimming - maybe 10 days, if that.   I'm coming up on 21,550 consecutive days of breathing, and hope to extend that to somewhere around 36,520 (taking leap years into account).    

I listen to XM radio on the drive!  Here at the awesome ballpark.  Love everyone’s pictures!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good pro bono job, Tet.

Holly - I call it a ladder workout, but I don't know if that's what it actually is: After a sufficient warmup, you run 1/2/3/2/1 min at a pace fast enough that you're working, but not so fast that you're struggling to hold it.  You rest for 90 sec in between.  So run "fast" for 1 min, rest for 90 sec, run "fast" for 2 min, rest for 90 secs, fast for 3 min, rest for 90, fast for 2 min, rest 90 sec, fast for 1 min, rest for 90 sec, finish your run.  I'm walking during my rest period.

I got 40 min of core/ST in after work with not much upper body stuff to keep stress off my shoulder.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance