Masters Running

Tuesday 9/18/18 (Read 38 times)

Just thought I should mention that I have had some caulking filling in a gap in a bathroom sink counter for several years. Just saying how filling in can last quite some time.

Dave59 sounds like my house of late. One thing after another busted. Recent calamities: AC, deck lights, and bar sink.

I have been very diligent today and did my morning workout. Yawn. Really knocked me out. I pushed my forefoot against a rubber resistance bad for two reps of 15 and then pulled my forefoot against one for two reps of 15. I do not know how I am going to get the energy to do that again this evening. 

In more interesting news, I tried a new recipe on Epicurious from Guy Fieri for a potato and cauliflower salad. That is the first time I have ever seen a recipe of his at that website. Great recipe! Highly recommended. Just do not all all of the mayonnaise and yogurt mix at once. I think he suggests using too much. I ended up using maybe 2/3 of the total. You can get the recipe at https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/curried-cauliflower-and-potato-salad.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi Masters!! Once again trying to catch up, but I like to actually pop in once in awhile!!

Jay - looks like a great trip!!

Twocat - do what your told!!

((Falconfixer and family)) very sweet way to honor your son

I'm trying to get back to running and working out more consistently!!

Sunday went for a 2 hour bike ride in Maine - felt great to be outside riding!!

Yesterday I walked the mile from Fenway to the Brigham in the morning and back again after work with no pain.

Today did 1.2 on the treadmill alternating walking/running, 30 min spin class, 30 min core strength class, then some upper body work.

Going to ease back into running VERY slowly, but I really do miss it!!

Last Thursday was a terrifying evening for us with the gas explosions. My youngest son works in So Lawrence and lives in No Andover - right in the thick of the explosions and fires. He left work, slowly made his way to his apartment thru the gridlock, rescued his little dog, then even more slowly made his way to our house in Tewksbury!! DH was on the phone with him constantly trying to help him find routes that weren't gridlocked or shut down by the fires. His gf works in our town and came right here to wait for him as well. I was so thankful they were all ok and feel so bad for all the people injured, displaced and the family of the young man who died. Amazing there weren't more fatalities!! The kids spent the night with us then were fortunate enough to be cleared to go back to their apt Friday afternoon altho without gas. So crazy and so many people will be without gas for weeks or months!!

Love to all!!

denise

Dave59; It's a never-ending homeowner march until death! I just finished connecting all the new sink drains and water under the house, probably had to crawl back and forth 30 times fetching things, turning on/off the water main, etc. At least it was only one trip to the hardware store for parts! I'm done with THAT for the day. Next up is the soaking tub drain, and bidet water supply lines.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave - our dryer is the same so let me know what they say.

jay- welcome back.

Hope you didn't miss too many meetings.

Nice to have you have a helpful house guest, the best kind.

Probably kind of hard to believe but Steve's kind of been making fun of me, . . . and everyone else.

5-miles: first anything in below 60o since early June:

5 cycle-mute miles in 27min/16sec.

twocat: yours sounds just like the stretchies

DW's PT has her doing for her ongoing meniscus recovery.

Otherwise, are you still mostly on the couch?

Do you have a bicycle?  Will you be able to cycle

before running again?  Mariposai's pretty good, you know.

No particular reason but, since it sounds like you are adequately being taken care of and don't have anything else to do, I'm kind of wondering how many running miles at 14m/m and how many walking miles @ 16m/m are the caloric equivalents of 5 cycling miles at 11mph. In case it makes any difference, assume the five cycling miles include two miles of descending coasting and two miles of slight-to-steep up-grades (that I'm thinking might cancel out each other) plus one mile of mostly smooth but sometimes a little rougher flat across the floating bridge crossing and that the hypothetical cyclist/runner is height/weight proportionate and about my age.  Thanks.

ps falcon - very sweet and very moving.

pps - sounds like a fun Boston-fest in the works.

ppps - annual flu shots at this weekend's public health fair.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - scary!

Haircut won out over spin class, so I will try to go on Thursday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 . Biking will be out of the question longer than running. Anything that causes my leg to flex at the hip is out for many more weeks. That means no sitting. After that I suspect it will be no sitting or other activity that really yanks on the hamstring, meaning no biking or skiing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

No time to read thoroughly or harass, but I do want to sending {{{Hugs}}} to Falconfixer and family.

And 2Kitty - Yay on the new exercises!  Booo! on the RA.

30 min of core/ST after work and PT yesterday, then a 30 min walk at lunch today before I started saying words I'm not supposed to be using.

Yesterday with the PT:

Me: So when do I get to start doing some strength training in this area? (gesture to lower body)

Him: I'm not giving you time frames because you'll go out and do too much.

. . . . he already has me pegged.  Our relationship has thus been solidified.

Okay - Back to the weed people . . . 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, about 5 miles this morning before sunrise.  Less humid, but still warm, even for here, for this time of year.  About an 8:40 pace.

I did register for Boston last night but it's iffy.  I was 3:37 under my qualifying time which is pretty close to last year's cutoff.  We'll see.

Happy birthday to the Air Force (1947) and Air Force Reserve (1948).

Shortly after lunch a formation of C-130s made their appearance--our deployed aircraft returning.  Rest of the personnel should be back tomorrow.  Always a nice scene to see the families there to greet their loved ones.  I'm happy because I didn't have to speak with the media (a possibility).

And thank you everyone.  I've hit everything except for Applebee's and I'm headed there shortly.

Deez, scary thing!  Glad he's ok.

Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

Deez, I can't imagine going through that. How terrifying to think your house could just suddenly explode? Curious what they use the gas for if they can go without for weeks or months. Heat? Hot water? I guess it's not cold yet so no heat isn't an issue, but it could be in a few months!

Holly, I've got haircut envy. I kept forgetting to call to make an appointment and now I'm a few weeks over due and can't get in for two more weeks! I'll be very shaggy by then.

House woes, oh geez don't even get me started. Anyone see that Tom Hanks movie, The Money Pit? I swear my house was a model for that story. We're already three weeks past when the roofers said they'd be there and still no word. I think I want my deposit back.

Rest day today. We're continuing our every-other-day nice weather here, with this morning being chilly, foggy and damp. At least the rain was a no show all day so I went for a walk at lunch. The fog has pretty much lifted now by mid-afternoon but it's still chilly.

Deez- that is horrible.  I'm so sorry for everyone affected and for all the pain and worry.

2 treadmill miles after work and after a 2 hour dentist appt for a new post/temp crown this afternoon.  Ugh.  That all after the flu shot this morning.   Ready for some Advil and wine.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

5.5 on another perfect afternoon by the bay.

Deez; geez! But it's always a good story when the dog lives.

House stuff; I do everything myself because I haven't found anyone here that I trust. It seems like everyone in the trades is after One Last Big Score before they leave town. A friend was quoted $4000 to install a door, that didn't include the door itself. Granted, it involved cutting out an old window and the wall to the floor, but I helped him with it and it only took 2 hours start to finish. I wish I had the ballistics to ask for $2000/hr. Many other tales of outrageous estimates, and of shoddy work. Or incompetency, or laziness (if they can't just bolt something in place from off the Home Depot shelves, they don't want to do it, or can't). Is it any wonder I'm surly?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I wish I had the time and the energy to comment on everybody's posts.  I read them all every day and go from laughing hysterically, to having tears well up in my eyes.  I feel very blessed to be a part of this group....or, as TW would say...IFVBTBAPOTG.

I went 12 miles around the same course the kids were doing their 1000 meter repeats, which included 8 temp miles.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

3 mile hot and humid run tonight with the spa festival training group.  A cold front is supposed to arrive on Friday.  I am excited.

Deez 

Surly:  I have no home repair skills...I have to hire everything done.  I am ripped off frequently.  I wish you lived next door to me.

Trails Rock!

SteveP

It's fantastic to see PBJ and Deez. Our county had 32,000 people at the last census. Deez, I'm so glad the kids made it to your place.

Dave59, I'm sorry to hear your home is in the "Now what's wrong " status. Tom White may have a valid point.

AnneB..I can't imagine your shot. I hate to see anyone get an injection like that.

Surly Bill, Thankfully I'm no manager. The most I've supervised was 40 people. UGH...enough...I'd hold and stare a clip board in one hand and the tip of a pen pressed against it when I needed to get from point A to point B. Sometimes there would not even be a sheet of paper on the clip board. When an employee wanted to chat, I'd look up and bark, "WHAT!".

Today I tell new hires that my office is not a place to hang out. I'm not a therapist, a lawyer or a banker.

Surly:  I have no home repair skills...I have to hire everything done.  I am ripped off frequently.  I wish you lived next door to me.

You have more of them than you give yourself credit for. Start small, if you have the desire, and go slow. Imagine the worst possible case scenario and don't let that happen.

“Life is like a 10-speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use.”

― Charles Schulz

You can amaze yourself.

SteveP