Masters Running

Fridaily 4.5.19 (Read 43 times)

spacityrunner

We, too, are getting the rain that's hitting Oregon.  It's wreaking havoc on The Hub being able to work. . . which means he stays home and bakes.   

He can ship some of his baked goods to me.  I wouldn't want your butt to get to big.  JS   It's what friends are for 

Trails Rock!

anneb

Oh, did someone say baked goods?  Sign me up.

I will run in the rain (and not complain) above 60, but there's that grey area (the 50's) and then anything below that is pretty unpleasant (40's/30/s), because there is usually wind too. BUT if I was signed up for a race I wouldn't no show because of weather.

So, still damp and wet up this way but NOT actually raining so did my short neighborhood run... 3.7 miles. I ran that route 3x this week and all of the times were with a minute of each other 

Anne

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

MTB 14M in the coldest 55deg.

2/3 of those miles were on trails, so I'm calling it 20M !
        (Where's Econo, else my joke is wasted.)

Hey Jay, planning on the Lir, Sat, shortly after 2.

-Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Tom - Those guys are two of my favorites.

Liz - That's the whole problem!  I have work pants I can't fit into right now.   I told him if  he bakes it he's gotta take it . . . elsewhere!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Hello, runners!   It's been a pretty exciting 24 hours for yours truly.  After finding that my elbow, which I had thought was going to be a loooooong time healing, has actually returned to about 90% usage (maybe only 50% strength in that arm, but for swimming I appear to be good!), I signed up yesterday for the Empire State Senior Games, in June.  10 weeks from tomorrow.  My events will be the Individual Medleys (100 yard and 200 yard), Back stroke (also 100 and 200 yards), Freestyle (200) and Breast Stroke (50). For the past two weeks since returning the pool for the first time in 3 months, I've been swimming mostly backstroke and freestyle and have worked my way back up to almost a mile and a half per session.  So tomorrow I'm going to do butterfly for the first time since Fall, and take a stab at 6 100 yard IM repeats with plenty of rest in between, just to do them.  I've booked the Hotel room in Central NY, with a suite so that my daughter, the swimmer, can tag along if she likes.   
            Oh, and I also found out that the historic figure I will be portraying in the next Historic Walking Tour at the Albany Rural Cemetery in May is one Erastus Dow Palmer; he is of great renown in this area, as he was commissioned to sculpt a number of the memorials in that beautiful old cemetery, including his masterpiece, "The Angel at the Sepulchre".  (Given the choice I'd rather be the Angel, but the roles are assigned and not picked by the participants.) 

Sometime between now and the day of the event I'll have to have someone show me how to upload photos on this site.

Better Than Yesterday

Good news, BTY!

On the Saturday closest to Halloween the cemetery in Fortuna (local) has historical walking tours.  Cemetery society spends a year doing a lot of digging to find out as much as they can about the 5-6 figures they've picked, scripts are written, actors assigned.  I love going to that event.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

8.1 EZ

I dodged the atmospheric river and got my miles in the afternoon under windy overcast skies. I might have been a bit too relaxed, I wasn't paying attention and tripped on a raised piece of asphalt. This is one of times I had the presence of mind to do a Judo roll. I escaped with a scuffed palm, elbow and knee, not much blood, but my palm is still a little numb. Cement is harder than dirt, btw.

Leslie; $225/hr sounds about right for an independent contractor. Also, Fortuna cemetery is awesome. Why is it so big and fancy compared to other places on the North coast?

On Science Friday radio program today they talked to the author of Good To Go, a book about exercise recovery. Everything we've been told is a lie. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/new-book-tackles-real-science-sports-recovery

Image result for judo roll

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

BTY, that is good news!   I'd say if you are swimming up to a mile now, you're gonna rock the Senior Games

Good news, BTY!

On the Saturday closest to Halloween the cemetery in Fortuna (local) has historical walking tours.  Cemetery society spends a year doing a lot of digging to find out as much as they can about the 5-6 figures they've picked, scripts are written, actors assigned.  I love going to that event.

Pun intended??   Digging to find out as much as they can??  Could be scary.....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

Holly and Erika shared their lovely photos from their recent marathon in Hawaii.    It was about the opposite of that last Saturday here in chilly central Indiana in a pouring rain.   No lava fields.   Culverts were all full of water.    And this what a drenched runner looks like, even if he does mug for the camera.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

That looks less than fun, Joe, but you are proudly sporting your Purdue singlet!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great picture, Joe...but it doesn't quite compare to Holly and Erika's...

I got in 8 miles, after work.

I didn't sleep well, last night, and it was a rough day.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

I just want to point out that the wicked witch of the west was not made of sugar and look what happened to her. Also, cats are not made of sugar and they understand the consequences of breaking Rule #1. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Oops, while I was browsing around the forums, I stumbled upon one of your daily one from last year and wrote in there. Sorry about that, newbie mistake.

not that it ever happens to us, . . .

especially when trying to quote from a previous thread.

Joe - way to pretend like you’re having fun in the rain.
                            (I won’t tell twocat you really are).
                            BTY - in addition to the Halloween assignment, it's fantastic to be able to look forward to a challenging sr. competition to see how well you can (still) do.  I have lots of things I’m looking forward to too but none of them represent any kind of challenge of whether or not I can do it or, if so, how well. .
                            Three Hillside Park trail miles (659 stairs)
                            After only two overnight, drizzly fizzles so far this week for the first two of this week’s predicted five incoming Pacific storms that should be treating Seattle like Tammy-and-Leslie-land too, storm no. 3 arrived this afternoon with a such a vengeance as to require invoking subsection (a) to the second exception to not running in the rain that, if it’s okay to race in the rain, subsection (a) logically allows training in the rain for a race later this month that’s likely to be in the rain too, . . . even if the so-called “training” is mainly just checking out rain gear unused since the Seattle Marathon rainfest last November).  

With new leaves in the hillside forest land hardly able to restrain themselves in the face of the long-awaited hydration, winter’s bare browns were becoming a vibrant green all over the place almost in front of my eyes. Listening to the wind rustling through the new leaves and the added splish-splashing of the rain drops couldn’t have been made more enchanting by a Mozart sonata.

Tom - wish you oculd have joined me.

ps - bring your violin.

.. .

. . . a buddy suggested my Hip PT stairs exercises (which actually helped a lot..........120 reps each leg twice daily)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPufc37Sw_I go to 7:00

Jay - I think “retirement” is having someplace to live and food to eat without having to worry about working to pay for it and being able to do whatever you like, be it from couch potato to world traveler, also without having to worry about working to pay for it either, even if it’s still doing what you used to have to do but like enough to still be doing it when you don’t have to.  Still getting paid for it is sometimes a nice bonus.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, back in my apartment after my week in Denver.  I did run before heading to the airport, 7 miles at a 9 min pace.  Good to be back where there's a bit more O2....although it is significantly "wetter" to breathe.  I'm rolling right into the drill weekend so no rest for the wicked.  Plus my boss PT tests tomorrow at 0600 and my plan is to meet him at the track and run with him (he'll get there after waist/height measurement; pushups and situps).

Joe, nice snap.  As an engineer myself, I have had to occasionally explain that concept to pilots (who usually do get most of it).  Sometimes I'll try to spring board off that to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle..... 

Have a greta night everyone!

Mariposai

MTB 14M in the coldest 55deg.

2/3 of those miles were on trails, so I'm calling it 20M !
                                (Where's Econo, else my joke is wasted.)

Hey Jay, planning on the Lir, Sat, shortly after 2.

-Craig

Wow............. my butterfly wings is so happy to see ThePro....here

Before you know it, we will have McSolar posting tooSmile

Joe, that is one beautiful race picture of yours. You look so happy and powerful.

BTY, your post made me smile. Good luck on your next gig.

Tamster, enjoy the rain. The same weather is expected here too.

Leslie, good for your friend. 225 an hour is a good starting wage Smile

Anzlo, where in Oregon? Enjoy your running in the rain adventure.

Great to see so many great running miles here today. As for me, I did not run, just giving a few extra days to "Knee" to stop barking at me.

Tonight my DH and I drove up north to attend a really informative lecture on the butterflies of the Okanogan. The presenter is one of the top researcher on butterflies in our state, if not the PNW. Today I learned that out of the 155 recorded butterflies in our state, 122 are found in the Okanogan County. Yeap, I can 't wait to get out there hiking and start identifying them all Smile.

Yours truly, mariposai.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard