Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Beatles not a fan. Insect or music.

my week I feel too sore for only doing 40 miles. I feel worst than peak marathon training where I’m just tired.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

Mikkey - It's odd that Football is not as appreciated in the US, the US is really a massive cultural island.

me - After a long while I'm finally planning some vacations. We've done a lot of traveling the last 3 years, but I was always working through those. Now I'm finally planning to go a full 20 days without opening my laptop for work as we visit family in Brazil next month.

To the Americans - Vacation is this thing that exists outside the US & A, where the person does not work for like 20 or 30 days or even 6 weeks 😁

We are certainly a massive cultural island in many areas. Probably mainly because we can be. It has been said that soccer will get big in the US because it is the most popular sport for young kids to play, in schools and municipal leagues. Maybe because the basics of the game are easy to understand, and it doesn’t require any specialized equipment. So the theory is when the kids grow up, they will take the game with them and the popularity will expand. But they’ve been saying that for decades, and it hasn’t happened. The best soccer playing kids are also the best all-around athletes, and they move into one of the traditional sports as they get older. There have been so many pro leagues come & go over the course of my life. Teams have some level of popularity depending on the city, but it’s always way down the list vs other sports. Maybe it would help if the men’s national team was in any way competitive—the women’s national team is way more popular. But even then, people would probably only follow it every four years at World Cup time, like we do with other less popular sports for the Olympics. 

I couldn’t care less about soccer, but I’d take the Euro vacation philosophy. Typical vacation in the US is 1 week—that’s probably about 90% of them, with the other 10% around 2 weeks. Some barely-measurable fraction is longer than that. I once had a German colleague tell me “you don’t really start enjoying the vacation till the third week.” I’ve literally never taken a 3 week vacation in my life. I can probably count the 2 week vacations on one hand (other than around Christmastime, with the extra off-days built in).

Dave

DavePNW

My week:
        Felt fine for my 5k last weekend, but started coming down with a cold (or something) shortly thereafter. Sneezing/congestion developing into a cough. My runs felt really sluggish at the beginning of the week, and the paces showed it. Sometimes these things can aggravate my asthma and stick with me a long time, with prolonged coughing & breathing issues for weeks or months. It seemed like it might be headed in that direction, but then thankfully kind of reversed course and things started improving. Pushed my usual Wednesday workout day to Thursday, to give myself a bit more recovery time. Decided to jump into one of my go-to marathon training workouts of 1-mile tempo intervals. I like these to be in the 6:50s. I felt pretty ragged at the start, and was mentally preparing myself to bail if it wasn’t happening. Stuck with it and ended up with 7:33, 7:14, 6:59, 6:50, 6:52. Good enough. That first one is always slow because (1) I always start slow, and (2) my standard route for this workout is on a trail that’s uphill out & downhill back. The GAPs were probably more consistent. 

Decided to add a fast finish to my Saturday LR. Ended my 18 with 5 targeting MP-ish of 7:20-7:30. I was with my running group and it was nice that I found someone to join me. Result: 7:36, 7:31, 7:30, 7:26, 7:19. That’ll do.

Weekly for period: From: 07/17/2023 To 07/23/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
        Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
        in ft
        07/17 Morning Run 6.03 9.70 00:58:54 09:46 06:04 269
        07/18 Morning Run 8.14 13.10 01:16:43 09:25 05:51 367
        07/19 Morning Run 9.05 14.56 01:22:07 09:04 05:38 456
        07/20 5 x 1 mile tempo + 3x200m 10.01 16.10 01:22:27 08:14 05:07 413
        07/21 Morning Run 6.01 9.67 00:55:41 09:16 05:46 243
        07/22 5 MP 18.01 28.98 02:30:55 08:23 05:12 174
        07/23 Morning Run 6.03 9.71 00:54:44 09:05 05:38 233

Totals: Time: 09:21:31 - Statute: 63.28 mi - Metric: 101.82 km

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

I have tried to watch some of the football but the standard is...challenging.  Great to see the crowds.

I don't really watch much football but I actually thought the standard in the NZ v. Norway match was very good.  Maybe it was being there live, rather than on TV, as you can actually get more of an appreciation of when the players are working the ball back and around.  In the last 10 mins or so, when the players were getting a bit tired and there were a few botched clearances.  But the great thing about womens football - or at least this match - is that they spent almost all their time playing the game rather than diving or complaining to the ref, which is one of the most annoying things about mens football.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - the bump in LT heart rate is a good sign for sure.  Nice work.

Dave - sounds like a pretty good recovery from that cold to me.

Josh - great to hear you're making progress!

Flavio - excellent week!  I can name a few other countries where football doesn't dominate... India (cricket, hockey), Pakistan (same), Australia, (AFL, cricket), Canada (ice hockey), but for the most part you're definitely right.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We are certainly a massive cultural island in many areas. Probably mainly because we can be. It has been said that soccer will get big in the US because it is the most popular sport for young kids to play, in schools and municipal leagues. Maybe because the basics of the game are easy to understand, and it doesn’t require any specialized equipment. So the theory is when the kids grow up, they will take the game with them and the popularity will expand. But they’ve been saying that for decades, and it hasn’t happened. The best soccer playing kids are also the best all-around athletes, and they move into one of the traditional sports as they get older. There have been so many pro leagues come & go over the course of my life. Teams have some level of popularity depending on the city, but it’s always way down the list vs other sports. Maybe it would help if the men’s national team was in any way competitive—the women’s national team is way more popular. But even then, people would probably only follow it every four years at World Cup time, like we do with other less popular sports for the Olympics. 

I couldn’t care less about soccer, but I’d take the Euro vacation philosophy. Typical vacation in the US is 1 week—that’s probably about 90% of them, with the other 10% around 2 weeks. Some barely-measurable fraction is longer than that. I once had a German colleague tell me “you don’t really start enjoying the vacation till the third week.” I’ve literally never taken a 3 week vacation in my life. I can probably count the 2 week vacations on one hand (other than around Christmastime, with the extra off-days built in).

Well Megan Rapinoe probably helped with that with her vocal politics!  Unfortunately she’s in favour of trans women competing (now that she’s retiring and a millionaire) so I’m guessing that women’s football could end up being a farce.

I watched the women’s Euros last year and hand on heart I thought it was great and I agree with Marky about the lack of complaining/cheating which is so annoying in mens football.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well Megan Rapinoe probably helped with that with her vocal politics!  Unfortunately she’s in favour of trans women competing (now that she’s retiring and a millionaire) so I’m guessing that women’s football could end up being a farce.

I watched the women’s Euros last year and hand on heart I thought it was great and I agree with Marky about the lack of complaining/cheating which is so annoying in mens football.

Yeah, all the constant virtue signalling instead of talking about the football itself is annoying.

Mark - Definitely agree that the lack of complaining about EVERY whistle is refreshing.  That's a problem even down to lower grade club football.  As for the quality, it's certainly much better than it used to be.  Even at club level, it's so much better now than when I was playing Premier Football.  There's a lot of scope for improvement though, if the gap between men and women in marathon running is some arbitrary value 10, then the gap in football is more like 100.  Events like this will definitely help that in the next few decades, no reason it can't get much closer (and hopefully not because of the issue mikkey raised...).

Josh - Awesome to hear you're back up and running.

Dave - Glad to hear it was short lived illness.  Really nice week, especially while dealing with that.

George Best - Really solid drummer, even better footballer, and even better drinker...the GOAT debate is even harder in football than athletics.  I found when I was playing it was pretty easy to look good in some teams.

Flavio - I agree it's surprising you'd feel an extra 30 mins at easy pace more.  Was it hotter for the easy run?  And were you running slow enough?

I was about 35 seconds off my 5km PR at the 5km mark - I definitely think a PR is very high probability.  I'm actually going for 18:30 which is a 23 second PR.  I think if I had a slight fade and just missed 18:30 I'd be okay with it, because it is a stretch goal.  If I miss a PR I'll be disappointed.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

RP- Funny I feel MORE sore when I run less.  I'm still trying to find the right balance of volume and complete rest day.  It is very hard to take days off but I do think the workouts are better the day after I do.

Beatles- I was a Stones guy but I appreciate their talent and music.

Dave- Really solid week. I like the mile intervals and think I have some coming up this week.

It was hard to fit in the training this week.  More early runs that I like (heat and work schedule). Had 2 workouts with a track workout Wednesday (pyramid) and a LR with 8 alternating between MP effort and HMP effort.

Weekly for period: From: 07/17/2023 To 07/23/2023

in ft
                  07/17 Morning Run 9.20 14.81 01:12:39 07:54 04:54 157
                  07/18 Morning Run 13.21 21.25 01:49:39 08:18 05:10 427
                  07/19 Morning Run 9.44 15.18 01:14:15 07:52 04:53 105
                  07/20 Morning Run 7.65 12.31 01:03:58 08:22 05:12 243
                  07/21 Morning Run 13.17 21.20 01:45:49 08:02 04:59 407
                  07/23 Morning Run 18.02 28.99 02:13:58 07:26 04:37 705

Totals: Time: 09:20:18 - Statute: 70.69 mi - Metric: 113.74 km

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Josh Totally agree that Geb is the GOAT. I mean in reality it's hard to say, it's just opinion. I don't have any great argument for it besides his 27 world records and the fact that during his prime on the track he seemed unbeatable.

Mark Nice job on the race.

Steve I think you can hit 18:30 on a good day based on that tempo. Especially if you still have a couple weeks to work with.

Flavio That 2 hour workout sounds more exhausting than a 2.5 hour long run. But there could be a reason or two it was the other way around. Some days feel better than others, weather matters, etc.

My Week 

in ft
                    07/17 Treadmill 9.00 14.48 01:14:02 08:14 05:07 0
                    07/18 Easy with 6 X 30 second strides 8.05 12.96 01:02:50 07:48 04:51 361
                    07/19 Lots of easy grass miles with 6 X 15 second strides. 8.07 12.98 01:02:35 07:45 04:49 184
                    07/20 Shakeout with easy strides. Some form drills after. 2.53 4.08 00:19:40 07:46 04:49 43
                    07/20 Warm Up 1.53 2.46 00:12:46 08:21 05:11 72
                    07/20 Twilight Series Race 5: Pleasant Valley 4 Miler 4.01 6.45 00:23:47 05:56 03:41 197
                    07/20 Cool Down 1.18 1.89 00:09:27 08:01 05:00 46
                    07/21 Rough Long Run 15.06 24.23 01:53:00 07:30 04:40 650
                    07/23 Afternoon Run 5.06 8.14 00:41:22 08:11 05:05 220

Totals: Time: 06:59:29 - Statute: 54.49 mi - Metric: 87.67 km

The 4 mile race went ok. I was hoping/expecting something closer to 23:30 though. I started feeling too hot in the last mile. Tried a long run the day after a race for the first time ever. And possibly the last, that sucked. My legs were very tired and once again, despite it not being that hot (78 F with 75% humidity) I still overheated and took a couple breaks to splash myself at the water fountain in the field I run in. I feel like I'm 0-3 now with long runs. I'm pretty frustrated. I'm also getting nervous that Erie could be too hot for me, since evidently the heat is not my thing. Caught a stomach bug yesterday. Feeling mostly better now. Mileage for the week just a bit lower than I like.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

😂👏. - First page material right there!

Dave - I don't think Fifa even wants Football to become the #1 sport in the US. They're probably just happy to bite as much as they can from the US market, any small bite is already USD 2 billion in revenue.

By the way, I bet you didn't know that the 2026 World Cup will be played in the US again? (With some matches in Canada and Mexico).

Re: Athletes, any good footballer can go make millions on the European clubs. I also don't think your average footballer stands a chance at playing on the NBA (where being 7 feet tall is a requirement), or the NFL (where weighing 300lbs is a requirement). Maybe that sprinter dude who grabs the ball under their armpit and runs to the finish line? Not all footballers are that fast though, maybe Cristiano Ronaldo or Mbappe.

Another major roadblock for widespread adoption of Football in the US is that sports broadcast in the US is quite something else. It's about 90% ads and 10% sports. Any sports broadcast from the US sucks donkeys, it's so bad. They really botch marathon broadcasts to the point it becomes unwatchable. And with Football you only have 15 minutes in the middle of the game for ads. I mean, they still spread short ads throughout, but the match is still playing, they can't move away from the pitch.

I've long given up watching UFC events live, I'd rather watch the fights in the morning as it takes me 90 to 120 minutes instead of the whole 6 hours of broadcast.

For the record, I used to be a big Football fan as a kid cause you get converted early on, but grew out of it and these days I mostly watch UFC events and athletics.

I find the NFL and Baseball super boring, I'd rather watch flies fuck.

Rugby however seems very fun and I will watch a match when I catch one playing on the TV.

Your running group is great. It is indeed much nicer to run with company so long as it's convenient.

Steve/Merkle - No, the weather was about the same. Early mornings are always very nice here in Porto, sometimes there's even a cool breeze during summer. I just think 2h30 is very close to my upper limit of how long I can exercise. Hopefully I can push that a bit further over the next few months.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another major roadblock for widespread adoption of Football in the US is that sports broadcast in the US is quite something else. It's about 90% ads and 10% sports. Any sports broadcast from the US sucks donkeys, it's so bad. They really botch marathon broadcasts to the point it becomes unwatchable. And with Football you only have 15 minutes in the middle of the game for ads. I mean, they still spread short ads throughout, but the match is still playing, they can't move away from the pitch.

What little coverage there is of athletics focuses almost entirely on the leader and record times. There's no coverage of what is happening as runners vie for the other places.  And with the longer track races they always break away for long commercials in the middle so key portions of the races are missed. All we know is that the race went from a large pack to 2-3 runners sprinting for the finish.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Car?

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Running Problem

Problem Child

Car?

Think about it and get back to me with an answer. I wouldn't want to confuse you due to COVID 19.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

This is the Jeep RP is going to upgrade to when he finally totals his current one.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - That's pretty funny, I like that.
                                Speaking of vacations, I'm looking to burn some airline miles and hotel points later this year. I keep checking the different "discount trips" from the airports within 3 hours drive of me. It's odd that I can already find plane tickets to Europe or Japan for the same as flights to a city that would be a 10 hour or less drive away.
                                Finally - Mbappe! Mbappe! Mbappe!

Mark - Congrats on the race result, well done.

Steve - Great job on that test. I've done something similar and about killed myself in it. I'd say you should be well placed for those 5k/10k times.

Dave - Solid week, I like it.

RP - Fishy may have a point regarding being more sore when running less.
                                I'm in complete agreement regarding beetles.

Sports - football (soccer) and rugby are so much more entertaining to watch than baseball, hand egg (American football), golf...
                                In somewhat sad news, the local semi-pro men's football/soccer team officially folded this year and is no more.

I had a pretty good week all things considered, especially given that Wednesday afternoon (after my workout and easy double, thankfully) I came down with a stomach bug. DDs 1 & 3 also got it the same day, with DW getting it the next day - DD2 started the whole mess on Monday.

Weekly for period: From: 07/17/2023 To 07/23/2023

in ft
                                07/17 1 rabbit, 1 hawk, & 1 ornate box turtle 13.20 21.24 01:55:01 08:43 05:25 663
                                07/17 1 stop to give a little old lady driving directions 5.05 8.13 00:45:51 09:05 05:38 233
                                07/18 7 hawks, 1 rabbit, & 1 swimming turtle 10.06 16.18 01:32:53 09:14 05:44 499
                                07/19 10' HMe, 2x (12x 1' on/off) 16.11 25.91 02:07:59 07:57 04:56 545
                                07/19 "Leave it" 5.05 8.13 00:45:19 08:58 05:34 279
                                07/20 Lunch Run 1.05 1.69 00:10:17 09:48 06:05 36
                                07/21 27 Mississippi kites, 8 turkeys, 2 rabbits, & 1 hawk 12.00 19.31 01:45:45 08:49 05:29 466
                                07/21 1 heron 5.05 8.13 00:45:36 09:02 05:37 259
                                07/22 5 deer (5 strides) 8.05 12.96 01:14:10 09:13 05:43 443
                                07/23 6 deer (6 strides) & 1 rabbit 18.11 29.13 02:33:31 08:29 05:16 1906

Totals: Time: 13:36:22 - Statute: 93.73 mi - Metric: 150.82 km

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4